[PO] Thrice - Palms (9/14/2018)

1 hour ago, thomasj182 said:

You think so? I've listened through a few times and it'll take a few more days to digest but this feels like it may be their weakest release, it's not really doing it for me upon my first few listens.

Maybe because TBEITBN was such a musical shift to what they had done previously, I just couldn't get into it as much. I liked it, but it was easily my least favorite album, by like, a lot. It may be just losing expectations & coming into it with  a clear head so to speak, but I can honestly say I enjoyed Palms much more upon my first listen, to TBEITBN. Like I said, time will tell if it really sticks with me.

Edited by zuck

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Haven’t heard the leak, myself, and while I do respect people’s optimism... does this surprise you?

Well you are absolutely right, facing the fact that they haven't released a good record in 10 years. I have this thing for thricethough that I have my hopes up every record cycle and then I feel disappointed. Still seeing them live every time I get the chance, but their prime is long gone....

I would have loved it if thrice would have headed in the direction of the earth will shake / hold fast hope / the messenger / etc. Rather than what they've done with the last few records but I dont hate any of their later albums either including this one.

Edited by mattisr1984

6 hours ago, mmhmm said:

I'm seeing lots of positive reactions to this record everywhere else but here. Maybe VC just brings out the curmudgeons? Hah

there always needs to be a place where people can hate on music/bands when they dont hear what they want to hear that was released 10-15 years prior. 

i like it for what it is. 

32 minutes ago, famousdrumer said:

there always needs to be a place where people can hate on music/bands when they dont hear what they want to hear that was released 10-15 years prior. 

i like it for what it is. 

The first part of this post completely misses the mark.  Most current Thrice fans (read: anyone checking out a new Thrice album in 2018) are loyal because of how much the band has progressed and changed their sound – while retaining quality – for over a decade.  To say that people are harping on “new Thrice” because they’re still enamored with Deadbolt or want Vheissu 2.0 is a pretty foolish sentiment to make.  I’ll admit that I got into Thrice with IOS, and mostly on account of Teppei’s riffs.  But if they hadn’t released Vheissu, Alchemy, and even Beggars over the years... I don’t think my tastes would be half as varied as they are, today.  This is a band with a sound that has grown and matured as my own tastes have, from the early 2000s.  I owe them a lot as far as my musical discoveries are concerned.

But TBEITBN is loaded with cheese.  And while I haven’t listened to the new album, that Grey single was full fledged movie-trailer radio rock.  It has nothing to do with longing for nostalgia – it does, however, have a lot to do with recognizing boring-ass anthemic choruses and generic lyrics.  (Sorry, Dusty.)  I’m willing to listen to Palms with an open mind, don’t get me wrong... but I’m absolutely expecting a very safe, polished, borderline boring album from a band that spent a decade or more writing music that pushed the comfort zone of my tastes and broadened my musical horizons as a result.

Also “I like it for what it is” is probably the biggest fold-over seal of mediocrity I’ve ever heard.  Holy shit.  Thrice were never a band that put out records that “has its moments”.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

The first part of this post completely misses the mark.  Most current Thrice fans (read: anyone checking out a new Thrice album in 2018) are loyal because of how much the band has progressed and changed their sound – while retaining quality – for over a decade.  To say that people are harping on “new Thrice” because they’re still enamored with Deadbolt or want Vheissu 2.0 is a pretty foolish sentiment to make.  I’ll admit that I got into Thrice with IOS, and mostly on account of Teppei’s riffs.  But if they hadn’t released Vheissu, Alchemy, and even Beggars over the years... I don’t think my tastes would be half as varied as they are, today.  This is a band with a sound that has grown and matured as my own tastes have, from the early 2000s.  I owe them a lot as far as my musical discoveries are concerned.

But TBEITBN is loaded with cheese.  And while I haven’t listened to the new album, that Grey single was full fledged movie-trailer radio rock.  It has nothing to do with longing for nostalgia – it does, however, have a lot to do with recognizing boring-ass anthemic choruses and generic lyrics.  (Sorry, Dusty.)  I’m willing to listen to Palms with an open mind, don’t get me wrong... but I’m absolutely expecting a very safe, polished, borderline boring album from a band that spent a decade or more writing music that pushed the comfort zone of my tastes and broadened my musical horizons as a result.

Also “I like it for what it is” is probably the biggest fold-over seal of mediocrity I’ve ever heard.  Holy shit.  Thrice were never a band that put out records that “has its moments”.

Saw the bump and was hoping you had listened to it. I expect a full Derek review by end of week. 

Well, I still haven't listened to it. So I am going to withhold any opinions.
Instead I will just shit post some conspiracies I found over on reddit.

Anyone else catch this? My concern is that they switched the variant I paid out the wazooo for, for another variant.

Just curious if it's a common oddity people are experiencing. I know of a couple of other people who have the same thing appearing, and have reached out for an answer from KingsRoad.

Think the wax-mage connection fell through? Or is this just a more descriptive title to the product they ended up making?

9 hours ago, mmhmm said:

I'm seeing lots of positive reactions to this record everywhere else but here. Maybe VC just brings out the curmudgeons? Hah

I'm seeing mixed reactions most places except like the Thrice subreddit lol.

I dont know about this one though. I dont dislike it. But I think time will tell. The three singles are my favorite so far.