Rick and Morty - The Rick and Morty Soundtrack

• 2 weeks later...

40 minutes ago, Traket said:

available on amazon

Looser ($26.98) 

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Morty-Soundtrack/dp/B07FMGW2V5

Box Set ($76.70)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMCHFM6

I don’t see that it’s the loser edition? Couldn’t it just be black? Sub pop does color loser editions and then standard black, right?

I might be jaded and calloused because of my years in the comedy scene but whipping your genitals out for a comedy video and simulating heinous acts reads less "offensive" or "morally wrong" to me and more dumb/annoying. I don't see how that should end a comedy writer/producer's career or employment in the world of comedy.

I used to hate when I'd be at an alt/indie show, often times with a normal human being who isn't a comedy nerd, and the hosts would pretend to show a home video or some sweet video and it'd be some hardcore clip or a video of them visibly pooping or something. Showing people something awful that they didn't expect and them going "Uhh. This is gross/dumb" is less of a 'joke' and more an expected reaction. Now, if some hosts intro'd a clip as if it would be some Faces of Death or hardcore clip and then they played a video of puppies and kittens playing, I'd laugh.

Edited by mintplusplus

35 minutes ago, mintplusplus said:

I might be jaded and calloused because of my years in the comedy scene but whipping your genitals out for a comedy video and simulating heinous acts reads less "offensive" or "morally wrong" to me and more dumb/annoying. I don't see how that should end a comedy writer/producer's career or employment in the world of comedy.

While I inherently agree with you overall, and this video is the type of shit that's usually very easy for me to ignore, Dan Harmon still made this video and thought enough of it to release it out into the world.  And this wasn't some dipshit teenager doing something irresponsible to their future, it was a grown-ass man who thought simulated rape of an infant was funny.  It's the 21st Century, and the internet doesn't forget unless you've got the serious cash to make things disappear for good.  He was likely going to have to answer for this eventually, and that's his cross to bear and he has literally nobody to blame but himself for any backlash he receives, including R&M getting canceled.

Now, that being said, people change.  He might have thought this shit was funny almost a decade ago but he doesn't now.  That's fine, although how he thought it was funny to begin with is a mystery to me.  Then again, 10+ years ago I thought dead baby jokes were funny in a shocking way, but I would never dare laugh at that shit now that I've had friends who've had kids.  Hell, I still think this is one of the funniest fucking things I've ever read on the internet.  I do still love some good gallows humor, as long as the joke is on how fucked up the "comedian" is and not the darkness of the acts themselves.

Harmon's apologies for this and his sexual misconduct allegations have been sincere in my opinion, and they point to him having grown as a person since.  Same goes for James Gunn.  I guess my point is, if we're going to hold celebrities and entertainers accountable for past transgressions, we should also be willing to accept sincere apologies.  These guys have done the apology part right, unlike Kevin Spacey whose apology was half-assed at best and inadvertently tied being gay to sexually abusing minors.  But apologies don't recuse you from consequences, even long after the fact.  Like I said, if Dan Harmon loses his job over this, he's got literally one person to blame: Dan Harmon.

Also, context: We have an admitted sex offender (among other heinous crimes) in the White House right now, and we're all just left crossing our fingers that we can replace him in 2 years.

Whoa, didn't expect to write that much about things that aren't the vinyl release.  To get back on topic, I'd love to pick this up, but I would probably listen to it 1-2 times, and I'm really trying to curtail my spending on vinyl.  I'm probably better off getting the download for it.

Harmon made a satire that went nowhere, it has been addressed in the past. The real issue here are the alt-right trolls dredging this up (they just did it to James Gunn last week) to equate it to people like Roseanne who legitimately got fired for being actively  and undeniably racist in her public life. It has nothing to do with Dan Harmon other than creating a false equivalency to undermine people getting questioned and facing consequences for being genuinely terrible people.

And Dan Harmon has full acknowledged being a terrible person and worked to atone for it.

Edited by Rev. Mike
additional sentence

3 hours ago, tdogg241 said:

While I inherently agree with you overall, and this video is the type of shit that's usually very easy for me to ignore, Dan Harmon still made this video and thought enough of it to release it out into the world.  And this wasn't some dipshit teenager doing something irresponsible to their future, it was a grown-ass man who thought simulated rape of an infant was funny.  It's the 21st Century, and the internet doesn't forget unless you've got the serious cash to make things disappear for good.  He was likely going to have to answer for this eventually, and that's his cross to bear and he has literally nobody to blame but himself for any backlash he receives, including R&M getting canceled.

Now, that being said, people change.  He might have thought this shit was funny almost a decade ago but he doesn't now.  That's fine, although how he thought it was funny to begin with is a mystery to me.  Then again, 10+ years ago I thought dead baby jokes were funny in a shocking way, but I would never dare laugh at that shit now that I've had friends who've had kids.  Hell, I still think this is one of the funniest fucking things I've ever read on the internet.  I do still love some good gallows humor, as long as the joke is on how fucked up the "comedian" is and not the darkness of the acts themselves.

Harmon's apologies for this and his sexual misconduct allegations have been sincere in my opinion, and they point to him having grown as a person since.  Same goes for James Gunn.  I guess my point is, if we're going to hold celebrities and entertainers accountable for past transgressions, we should also be willing to accept sincere apologies.  These guys have done the apology part right, unlike Kevin Spacey whose apology was half-assed at best and inadvertently tied being gay to sexually abusing minors.  But apologies don't recuse you from consequences, even long after the fact.  Like I said, if Dan Harmon loses his job over this, he's got literally one person to blame: Dan Harmon.

Also, context: We have an admitted sex offender (among other heinous crimes) in the White House right now, and we're all just left crossing our fingers that we can replace him in 2 years.

Whoa, didn't expect to write that much about things that aren't the vinyl release.  To get back on topic, I'd love to pick this up, but I would probably listen to it 1-2 times, and I'm really trying to curtail my spending on vinyl.  I'm probably better off getting the download for it.

That link killed me

3 hours ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

I guess I'm just surprised there are so many heroes on this board that decry other people's common use of the word "rape" to mean "financially gouge", and at the same time so many defenders of a guy who released a video making fun of baby rape.

Dan Harmon has been, in my opinion, sincere about knowing he needed to change and working towards changing for the better. Long before this video resurfaced. Same with James Gunn, again BEFORE the resurfacing of near decades old tweets. IIRC Harmon even took that video down years ago shortly after posting it.

These attacks are coming from alt-right trolls who are 100% not actually upset by the material. That Mike Cerovich (or whatever, I'm not looking him up to spell his name right) dude was charged with rape and pleaded down to battery. He makes blog posts about how date rape isn't really rape. About how if a girl doesn't want to fuck you the best thing to do is pull your dick out and masturbate. These aren't jokes, he really advocates this. 

So yeah, some of us understand context and encourage people to make positive changes rather than weaponize tweets/skits that have long ago been apologized for.

12 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Dan Harmon has been, in my opinion, sincere about knowing he needed to change and working towards changing for the better. Long before this video resurfaced. Same with James Gunn, again BEFORE the resurfacing of near decades old tweets. IIRC Harmon even took that video down years ago shortly after posting it.

These attacks are coming from alt-right trolls who are 100% not actually upset by the material. That Mike Cerovich (or whatever, I'm not looking him up to spell his name right) dude was charged with rape and pleaded down to battery. He makes blog posts about how date rape isn't really rape. About how if a girl doesn't want to fuck you the best thing to do is pull your dick out and masturbate. These aren't jokes, he really advocates this. 

So yeah, some of us understand context and encourage people to make positive changes rather than weaponize tweets/skits that have long ago been apologized for.

Never heard of any of these people before today, and dont really care about the backstory. Was just making an observation. People constantly gang up on posters on this board who use a colloquial phrase with no ill-intent, yet there is adamant defense for a creative person  who made a tasteless skit that is specifically intended to be comedic and downplays the act of rape by turning it into (again, tasteless) comedy.

Edited by My Upvote is A Downvote

But just like a poster saying "raped my wallet" or whatever, these guys got called out. It's just that they are now being called out again long after they apologized and changed. They didn't dig their heels in and lash out. They listened, took it to heart, and stopped doing that shit.

The comparison doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

The comparison doesn't work.

I was comparing the mob's response, not the act they were responding to. The acts here ARE incomparable, because one writer is specifically focusing on infant rape, and the other probably wasn't even thinking about rape while typing a phrase.

1 minute ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Now years later a different mob is dredging it back up. They aren't offended, they are using this as a political tactic.

I'm sure this is the case, if it is making news now. I guess I just think its pretentious and naive to attack someone just for using a term in a context that you find offensive.

3 minutes ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

I'm sure this is the case, if it is making news now. I guess I just think its pretentious and naive to attack someone just for using a term in a context that you find offensive.

Personally I thinks it naive to think that the way certain words are used colloquially isn't harfmful. I still meet people who say "gay" instead of "shitty/lame/stupid"

I don't think anyone here clutched their pearls and gasped "How dare you!" at wallet/bank rape. It's not a matter of you CANT say that more "that's shitty, don't say that." It doesn't offend me, I just think it's shitty and harmful on a macro level.