PO Now: Daughters- You Won't Get What You Want

58 minutes ago, Satan said:

I... I cant, and I want to so badly - it's just not clicking in the slightest.

What's not clicking?  The singles?  I've only listened to the first one, once, and thought it was cool but definitely a bit of a departure for the band.  Not quite as spastic or pummeling as their louder, aggressive tracks.  But that was one listen, and considering it's a double LP, I've got good faith.  Haven't tried the second song though.

50 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What's not clicking?  The singles?  I've only listened to the first one, once, and thought it was cool but definitely a bit of a departure for the band.  Not quite as spastic or pummeling as their louder, aggressive tracks.  But that was one listen, and considering it's a double LP, I've got good faith.  Haven't tried the second song though.

To be honest, after hell songs I've been wanting to slide back into the Canada Songs era. I remember as the sun sets, and caught a few Fucking Invinsible sets... and just want something more intense.

I mean I hear slight snippets of guitars that make my eyes googly, but keep me disappointed after a build up.

Edited by Satan

40 minutes ago, thetrackt said:

Canada Songs is their weakest.  Maybe it’s the recording but give me the 7”, Hell Songs or this.

This new stuff is really turning me on. 

I think they got progressively better from the first EP to the last LP. It’ll be interesting to see whether that does or doesn’t change with this new one.

The samples of this record on iTunes sound MASSIVE - incredibly bizarre and exciting stuff.

It also seems like Lex’s most confident vocals ever.

I think he’s now totally comfortable doing the Yow thing and not caring that (some) people care. 

Edited by thetrackt

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, januarytwenty said:

Looks like they got the colors mixed up... 

Hello from Ipecac Recordings, 

We wanted to let you know of an error with the vinyl colors that were shown on Bandcamp for the upcoming Daughters release “You Won’t Get What You Want”.

The “Clear Smoke Limited Edition” is actually the darker color, while the “London Fog Standard” is the lighter color. We’ve change it on the site and you can see the two colors in their correct fashion here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxfshc7msh7119l/AADuU7skrR_AipVQg5TjHU_Ua?dl=0

If you have an issue with the color change, please let us know and we can refund your order. The “Clear Smoke Limited Edition” is still sold out, but if people cancel, you might see it back in stock in the coming days.

Shipments are starting later this week, so you should have your orders for the 10/26 release date. 

Thanks for your understanding and support of Daughters and Ipecac!

Marc

The truest commitment to that album title.

53 minutes ago, ethereal said:

You can still get the Black Smoke edition for slightly more with a slipmat

https://revolvemerchandise.shop/ipecac-music/daughters-you-wont-get-what-you-want-lplf-slipmat-bundle

I wish, but read the description. London Fog Vinyl -__-

I ordered this one based off looks and not numbers and... yeah what KnifeStreet said up there... Glad I preordered as soon as it went live /s

Album is awesome btw.

17 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I listened to one of the singles once then put it out of my mind and decided I'd leave the rest up to mystery.

Same boat for me.  I forgot which of the two I checked out, but it struck me as a slow burner for sure.  It felt dark as all hell, with the signature distortion and dissonance present, but it sounded a lot more methodical and drawn out... which holds true for the album as a whole, I’d say.  If prior Daughters albums bashed your head in with blunt objects and jabbed your inards with spastic thrusts of hardware tools, this one makes you watch your family burn alive while it grinds down each limb individually.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If prior Daughters albums bashed your head in with blunt objects and jabbed your inards with spastic thrusts of hardware tools, this one makes you watch your family burn alive while it grinds down each limb individually.

I like this, haha. I'm on my second listen as I type this, and I'm trying to find a good way of trying to judge it outside the context of their discography. It's a slowburner, and it's very well put together, but I'm having trouble getting past the shock of it (for the most part) not being spastic and unpredictable. That's why I listen to Daughters--for something that's off-the-wall and completely out of control; even if it's really good, it doesn't feel like Daughters and my mind is doing a full DOES NOT COMPUTE. I'm hoping repeated listens will wear out this effect.

They did manage to do something that they always do, though: it's a record unlike anything I've ever heard before and the production is tight.

3 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I like this, haha. I'm on my second listen as I type this, and I'm trying to find a good way of trying to judge it outside the context of their discography. It's a slowburner, and it's very well put together, but I'm having trouble getting past the shock of it (for the most part) not being spastic and unpredictable. That's why I listen to Daughters--for something that's off-the-wall and completely out of control; even if it's really good, it doesn't feel like Daughters and my mind is doing a full DOES NOT COMPUTE. I'm hoping repeated listens will wear out this effect.

They did manage to do something that they always do, though: it's a record unlike anything I've ever heard before and the production is tight.

I’ve only put in one listen myself but I’m already looking forward to the second one.  A few songs definitely have the groove energy that’s present on previous work, but as a whole I’d agree that there aren’t nearly as many bludgeoning mathy moments.  But all things considered, we have 3 albums to rotate through, to get our fix of that, right?  8 years have passed and the band has sobered up a good deal; this record could’ve easily been a snooze fest or simply uninspired.  Like you said, I’m really grateful that it pushes boundaries and comfort zones – arguably for both the band and listeners – and that production really is not of this timeline.