New Orleans suggestions?

A friend and I are going to be in New Orleans for 5 nights at the end of next month.  We'll be staying in the French Quarter (don't know much about it, he booked the room).

Any suggestions for craft beer, vegan food, general sight seeing / tourist stuff and record stores would be appreciated.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, jonrawks said:

A friend and I are going to be in New Orleans for 5 nights at the end of next month.  We'll be staying in the French Quarter (don't know much about it, he booked the room).

Any suggestions for craft beer, vegan food, general sight seeing / tourist stuff and record stores would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The Aquarium was really cool, but I was 10 when I went.

Craft beer? Just drink straight liqour in the street.

I ate so much amazing food when I was there, but I couldn't tell you were I got like any of it. Because, well...I was drinking straight liqour in the street.

They're kinda silly, but the "haunted" walking tours are fun. It's a cool way to see some shit and hear some local history and murder stories.

12 hours ago, The Butcha said:

You will love the record shop sisters in Christ. It’s 100% up your ally. 

Ah yeah, I'm familiar with them!  I'll make sure to add it to my list.

4 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

They're kinda silly, but the "haunted" walking tours are fun. It's a cool way to see some shit and hear some local history and murder stories.

I usually like these too.  They're definitely on the silly end, but I always find them fun and worth my time.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, jonrawks said:

Thanks!

Courtyard Brewery is really good, but it is down near the WW2 Museum and the Convention Center.  Brieux Carre was great as well and is just outside the French Quarter.  If you walk east from Jackson Square you pretty much run right into it.

Search 'New Orleans' on the board. There's been several threads started and I always comment. But, meh, I'm too tired.

Records:

Euclid Records (Bywater neighborhood): largest store in the city. Worth looking at for the volume. Two stories. They have some hard to find stuff.
Domino Sound (Marigny neighborhood): a record collector's store. Small but lots of a variety and reasonable priced. Definitely go. Seriously.
Sisters in Christ (Uptown, near Audubon Park and Zoo): worth going for punk/hardcore but definitely not the variety that the others offer.
Skully'z (French Quarter): smallest shop in the city on Bourbon Street. Scott is the owner and the nicest guy ever. He gets lots of new releases and you might find a gem in the bins. Go if you're nearby.
The Mushroom (Uptown by the universities): Doubles as a headshop. Lots of garbage/thrift store records. I've found some gems they overlooked but it's a waste of time a lot of time.
Nola Mix Records  (Uptown on Magazine near CBD): Lots of great 45's with variety but not much punk/hardcore.
Disco Obscura (Uptown off Magazine, near Nola Mix): Boutique shop with mostly reissues. Joey Buttons owns and he's a sweetheart.
Peaches (Uptown, Magazine St, up river): Fuck this place. Waste of fucking time. 

Ha, there you go. I like records.

9 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Are you vegan? Because so am I but my girlfriend and I were like "Fuck it, we're eating seafood this week" and Coops was the fucking shit. Dat Dog had a dope alligator hot dog.

Yeah, I am.  Definitely one of the better parts of traveling is tracking down new vegan places to eat at.  I've got a pretty nice little list going right now.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:06 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

Fuck the line at Cafe du Monde tho. We got beignets at a random little cafe and they were dope as fuck.

Are you vegan? Because so am I but my girlfriend and I were like "Fuck it, we're eating seafood this week" and Coops was the fucking shit. Dat Dog had a dope alligator hot dog.

I love Coops. Recommend that place to everyone.