PO: Metric - 7th Studio Album (9-31)

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Sweet.  Couldn’t get into the last two albums.  Hope new one is better!

They maxed out their politico and anti-establishment (including music industry) angst with early albums, and Fantasies is hit after hit after hit - hard to top. There are some high points with the last two and Emily’s solo album, but I’m through preordering the $ gimmicks. 

21 hours ago, drds89 said:

They maxed out their politico and anti-establishment (including music industry) angst with early albums, and Fantasies is hit after hit after hit - hard to top. There are some high points with the last two and Emily’s solo album, but I’m through preordering the $ gimmicks. 

Not really sure what the pricey gimmicks are with this. It's a $24 double LP with an autographed flexi thrown in for free. 

Sure it probaly won't live up to the earlier albums, but I don't find the price unreasonable. At least it's better than the ridiculously priced Dreams So Real LP.

I loved their progression through Synthetica, but couldn't get into Pagans in Vegas at all. I hope this record pulls me back in. The first single has a nice hook, but not really digging that main riff.

Also, LOL at an autographed double LP with a bonus flexi 7" as a "pricey gimmick." For all of the $40 limited color bullshit presses people throw money at,, this is pretty reasonable.

Love the new single! This is an easy pre-order for me. It's produced by Justin Meldal-Johnsen who has produced so many of my favorite records in recent years:

Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life

Paramore - After Laughter & S/T

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming & Junk

Jimmy Eat World - Integrity Blues

School Of Seven Bells - SVIIB

From Metric's newsletter:

"Given where we're at, now is not the time for whimsical pursuits and diversions. We have been quite adventurous over the years, exploring genres on stage and off, and all those paths led us to this. I'm just going to come right out and say it. This is our seventh album as a band and its a rock record. My friends who've heard it tell me it's a very Metric-sounding Metric record. That's right. Yes! Remember rock? It's fun. It makes you think. And it comes out September 21.

We just released the first single "Dark Saturday" and we're starting to play it live too. We wanted the first song people heard from the new album to be "Dark Saturday" as a sonic heads up that our guitars are back in force."

That makes me so stokeddd. I couldn't really get into Pagans

On 7/18/2018 at 2:23 PM, voltagedrop said:

Not really sure what the pricey gimmicks are with this. It's a $24 double LP with an autographed flexi thrown in for free. 

Sure it probaly won't live up to the earlier albums, but I don't find the price unreasonable. At least it's better than the ridiculously priced Dreams So Real LP.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:18 AM, throwgncpr said:

I loved their progression through Synthetica, but couldn't get into Pagans in Vegas at all. I hope this record pulls me back in. The first single has a nice hook, but not really digging that main riff.

Also, LOL at an autographed double LP with a bonus flexi 7" as a "pricey gimmick." For all of the $40 limited color bullshit presses people throw money at,, this is pretty reasonable.

Apologies I wasn't clear in my post re: this pre-order. Your points are well taken on the actual product and pricing along with the color and ltd craze vs Black vinyl.

I was thinking of the perfume (Emily's latest), signed cassettes (Pagans), and sterobox? (Synthetica) - but these were just extras as you pointed out.

Help, I'm Alive will always have that skip :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...