PO: High On Fire - Electric Messiah [Oct. 2018]

Sorry, guys... Its just so weak and lame especially by juxtaposition to the other songs on that LP. Its basically a HOF pop song. Doesn't work for me. Its so blah. Just about any butt rock band could have put that deal together. Its so not HOF to me. Pretty much every other song on the album is amazing.  I certainly am not trying to start a war with y'all but I have to speak my truth and I fully support you guys digging it. If it brings you joy, more power to you. I actually skip it when I play the CD. Haven't spun the LP in a while.

I'm glad we're talking about HOF though. 

Some of my favorite HOF songs are Death Is This Communion, How Dark We Pray, Snakes For The Divine, Holy Flames of the Fire Spitter, Madness of An Architect, The Cave, Luminiferous, and The Lethal Chamber.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

Some of my favorite HOF songs are Death Is This Communion, How Dark We Pray, Snakes For The Divine, Holy Flames of the Fire Spitter, Madness of An Architect, The Cave, Luminiferous, and The Lethal Chamber.

While I love your list of favs, I did loooove The Falconist

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Sorry, guys... Its just so weak and lame especially by juxtaposition to the other songs on that LP. Its basically a HOF pop song. Doesn't work for me. Its so blah. Just about any butt rock band could have put that deal together. Its so not HOF to me. Pretty much every other song on the album is amazing.  I certainly am not trying to start a war with y'all but I have to speak my truth and I fully support you guys digging it. If it brings you joy, more power to you. I actually skip it when I play the CD. Haven't spun the LP in a while.

I'm glad we're talking about HOF though. 

You love the song just as much as you love colored vinyl basically 

1 hour ago, MayCauseDeath said:

You love the song just as much as you love colored vinyl basically 

Actually, I probably like most colored vinyl more than I like that song. I didn't care for the crazy mashing up of blue, red and yellow that the first US variant was made of but I think I like that color more than this song for example. I think I dislike multicolor splatters the most of all colored vinyl. 

8 hours ago, Shrekular Haze said:

Count my fingers ten
Dressed to kill and think again
Count my fingers nine
Do the math your sacrifice
Son of a bitch should bleed awhile

That's weird. Did I ever mention that "Bastard Samurai" is my least favorite track on SFTD?

I do like it more than "The Falconist" however.

Edited by mcpherson123

9 hours ago, Shrekular Haze said:

Least favorite? Man, that's interesting. 

My issue with that track is really just my super picky lyric aesthetic problem. Something about the whole "son of a bitch" and recitation of the title "bastard samurai"... I don't know. Those parts really stick in my craw. Musically I think its a nice break from faster, pummeling tracks with some varied grooving. 

So yeah, just a stupid, picky lyric issue on that one. 

I think "How Dark We Pray" is probably in my top 3 favorite HOF tracks. That's an example of metal genius right there. I love it.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:29 PM, mcpherson123 said:

Its basically a HOF pop song.

Yeah, exactly. Works for me. One of my favorite songs of the last decade, pop, metal, or otherwise. My eyes get all sweaty when I hear it. 

Favorites: 10k yrs, Fireface, Thraft, Hessian, Silverback, Fury Whip (but it taste so fresh), Mad=Architect, THE FLAGONIST

On 8/10/2018 at 1:55 AM, mcpherson123 said:

Actually, I probably like most colored vinyl more than I like that song. I didn't care for the crazy mashing up of blue, red and yellow that the first US variant was made of but I think I like that color more than this song for example. I think I dislike multicolor splatters the most of all colored vinyl. 

I don't even like High on Fire that much (more genre preference than any dig against the band), but that splatter was one of the most beautiful vinyl variants I have ever seen.  Who couldn't love this?

https://www.discogs.com/High-On-Fire-Luminiferous/release/7163635

46 minutes ago, thievedrelic said:

I don't even like High on Fire that much (more genre preference than any dig against the band), but that splatter was one of the most beautiful vinyl variants I have ever seen.  Who couldn't love this?

I have this version, looks so kick ass

8 hours ago, thievedrelic said:

I mean, it just looked like a fruit roll up to me. Like I love looking at pictures of nebulae from outer space and the colors are beautiful but with records, I just like them to look like records and in my mind (obviously) the classic record aesthetic is generally plain black. Its just the most classically common and normalized look in my mind. Once in a while there will be a really cool looking, over the top color thing and I dig seeing pictures of them and once in a great while I'll actually want to own certain crazy color variants or sometimes very basic color variants (I dig solid, opaque and transparent darker purples) but overall I just wish I always had the option for black. I wouldn't mind the variant in question so much if I could pick it up on black without having to import it. 

Its just my weirdness.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, it just looked like a fruit roll up to me. Like I love looking at pictures of nebulae from outer space and the colors are beautiful but with records, I just like them to look like records and in my mind (obviously) the classic record aesthetic is generally plain black. Its just the most classically common and normalized look in my mind. Once in a while there will be a really cool looking, over the top color thing and I dig seeing pictures of them and once in a great while I'll actually want to own certain crazy color variants or sometimes very basic color variants (I dig solid, opaque and transparent darker purples) but overall I just wish I always had the option for black. I wouldn't mind the variant in question so much if I could pick it up on black without having to import it. 

Its just my weirdness.

Has anyone ever called you a buzzkill?

4 hours ago, clerk3745 said:

Has anyone ever called you a buzzkill? 

Probably. And probably for reasons completely unrelated to vinyl colors.

Am I somehow killing your colored vinyl buzz or your love of the "The Falconist" buzz? Some other buzz?

Edited by mcpherson123