PO: Joyce Manor - Million Dollars To Kill Me (Preorder)

On 7/18/2018 at 4:57 PM, glass realms said:

So confusing. There's 5 dudes on the cover but only 4 on the ads for the tour. I want to see them next year in LA but fuck the Hollywood Palladium. Hopefully they play some smaller places later in the year. 

In the past they’ve played “secret” shows as the snocones. Keep an eye out.  Saw them at a tiny bar in Long Beach a little over a year ago. Awesome dudes in this band. Got spoiled seeing them play my friends house a bunch like 10 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

someone brought up sounding like a bad weezer song in another thread.... seems to apply here too. I just don't get this band

then don’t listen to them? nobody is forcing you to like them.

go throw on a weezer record and call it a day 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CatsNJazz said:

FTFY

4 hours ago, swb said:

Is there an actual Joyce Manor backlash? I have their first two records which are fun/good and always thought they were inoffensive/everyone dug them.

I can only really enjoy their first two albums, though I like Cody a little better than Never Hungover Again for what it's worth.

20 hours ago, swb said:

Is there an actual Joyce Manor backlash? I have their first two records which are fun/good and always thought they were inoffensive/everyone dug them.

I mean I think I just didnt get them at first to be honest. Like it’s fine for a local band to be writing 1:20 songs but not someone on Epitaph. In fact, the first time I saw them that gimmick seemed very manifest because I swear they played 14-ish songs during their 30 minute set. Once I listened to their newer album though (Cody onward) it made a lot more sense and I can respect it now.

Edited by MCDELTAT

On 8/27/2018 at 11:59 AM, swb said:

On 8/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, DecayToDeath said:

I can only really enjoy their first two albums, though I like Cody a little better than Never Hungover Again for what it's worth.

Funny thing is, their second album was reportedly written/recorded very hastily as a "fuck you" to their overly obsessed fanbase of Tumblr turds.  The band even originally pressed it on a one-sided 12", even though it's only like 15 minutes long (a 10" version was later available outside the US).  But they seriously half-assed the cover art, the title is a reference to their disdain for those "fans" who quickly abandoned them, and they almost never play any of the songs from that album live.

That's where I think the majority of the backlash comes from.  I still like all their albums, but OATIWSGT was generally not well-received.

Edited by tdogg241

50 minutes ago, tdogg241 said:

Funny thing is, their second album was reportedly written/recorded very hastily as a "fuck you" to their overly obsessed fanbase of Tumblr turds.  The band even originally pressed it on a one-sided 12", even though it's only like 15 minutes long (a 10" version was later available outside the US).  But they seriously half-assed the cover art, the title is a reference to their disdain for those "fans" who quickly abandoned them, and they almost never play any of the songs from that album live.

That's where I think the majority of the backlash comes from.  I still like all their albums, but OATIWSGT was generally not well-received.

The real fuck you is the fact that only the 10" version is single-sided, so you have to actually flip over a 12" after 6 minutes

13 hours ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

i guess claiming you made an album as an "f you" to the people that allow you to pursue music as a career is better than making super-generic pop songs like "think i'm still in love with you".

I don't even mind the second album, I think it just kinda sounds like songs that didn't make the first album. I view their career sorta like Arctic Monkeys' because their first album is pretty much perfect, their second is pretty good, and the rest is such a drastic departure from what made them good in the first place that it offends me. I haven't listened to the singles from the new one yet cuz I wanna take it in all at once but I'm not gonna expect it to sound like the Joyce Manor stuff I enjoy by any means.

42 minutes ago, cantdance said:

I don’t think their approach is the dramatic departure - just the clearer production. I like their first three albums a lot. Cody is like half a good album imo. Excited for this one!

It's not as dramatic as Arctic Monkeys' but I think production isn't the only thing that changed. The songs are simpler and have less of a punk edge to them starting with Never Hungover Again. It sounds like a watered-down version of its precedents.