Record shopping at thrift stores?

I still find quite a bit at local thrift stores where I live maybe it’s because I live in a small town? Recently I found someone’s entire collection of jazz all 50 cent each with a bunch of original blue note and impulse albums the highlight being a first pressing of John Coltrane’s a love supreme. There was also some

japanese imports of jazz stuff so that was pretty cool. But that’s usually how i find stuff thrifting an entire collection or nothing.

Edited by Michaelgetsboss

I haven't had any luck at thrift shops in the Los Angeles area over the last 5-6 years. A few shops are aware of vinyl's popularity and charge $3-5 per LP and most of them are raided immediately or never have much good stuff on hand, in my experience.

The best "haul" for me was 8-10 volumes of a box set series featuring old vocal artists like Sinatra (a different singer was featured in each 3-5 LP edition). They looked unplayed and well taken care of and cost just $2 each, so it was like 40 NM records for $20 dollars. Other than that, it's all beat up Herb Alpert and Jose Feliciano and Christmas/Cast Recordings/Orchestra compilations at thrift stores I've checked out.

Over the past twenty years, I've found a good bit. Best score:

A couple years ago, I had a meeting at work and got to the thrift store late. They always put out the fresh stuff in the morning when they open. A local junk shop owner had a cart full of records. I was crushed. It looked like great jazz (Miles, Coltrane, etc). But he obviously didn't know what he was doing, just buying stuff he recognized. I found a Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Flies High, which used to be $200-300 LP. He missed it. Ha. There were a few other interesting things. I just grabbed the odd, non-popular things left. Scored this. Paid $2.12 for it:

https://www.popsike.com/VictorVitor-Assis-Brasil-Desenhos-LP-Forma-FE-1017-STEREO-Brazil-1966-RARE/331956804909.html

I have a friend who works at a local thrift store and does his best to price things fairly if anything jumps out at him. He also lets me know if they get anything really notable in. The best thing I've found through his help was a first pressing of the green album by Weezer for 25$ CAD. Bit dusty but it plays great.

• 4 weeks later...

Last summer I made an effort to go to thrift shops every other day in the hopes of finding some good stuff but never did. I saw The Beach Boys Christmas Album once but the record was missing, of course. Just piles and piles of old opera/classical stuff nobody wants. Either nobody donates good records around me or the thrift stores auction everything decent online. 

I was at the Goodwill in Des Plaines yesterday and came across a set of KEF C25 speakers. Not top tier or anything but I hooked them up this morning and listened to the new Foxing album and some John Fahey. $10 for the pair, I feel like I stole them. They sound pretty damn solid for bookshelf speakers.

I look at thrift shops for musicals.

I get loads of great broadway there. I found a copy of Kenny Roger's  The Gambler once.

I always look at the bins, but rarely find anything for myself. I do get nice stuff for my kiddo sometimes.

Oh yeah, Christmas records too...when we put up the tree, we'll hit the local Catholic thrift shop and snatch up some Christmas records for the season too.

27 minutes ago, Battra said:

Antique Malls are much better than thrift shops, typically for me anyway....

There are a few kinds of Antique Mall sellers:

1. Thrift shoppers who're upping the price.

2. Basically record stores, but overpriced.

3. Golden Unicorns that sell quality records at a fair to cheap price.

The best things to look for at all these places are somewhat obscure jazz and funk/soul records. That's how I usually manage to find gems amongst the garbage! :)

36 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

The best things to look for at all these places are somewhat obscure jazz and funk/soul records. That's how I usually manage to find gems amongst the garbage! :)

Yeah, this is how I go. There's a record store in town that just assumes all jazz is absolutely worthless and it's the fuckin gold mine. I actually got these two a couple days ago in pretty great shape for a dollar each. The first day they started that bottom dollar bin (four for a dollar if you get four) I pulled out three milk crates worth of expensive jazz and about shat myself. Pretty much all Blue Note/Impulse/Prestige and some of them were a couple hundred dollars a piece. My jazz collection takes up an entire 2x2 and I don't think I have spent more than $15 or so on anything and most of them were dollar bin grabs from that one store.

https://www.discogs.com/Chet-Baker-Sings-And-Plays-With-Bud-Shank-Russ-Freeman-And-Strings/release/4118324

This one was like VG disc G+ jacket but it plays pretty much dead quiet.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Zoot-Sims-Quintet-Zoot/release/6630679

This one was in fantastic shape except for the lamination on the jacket is peeling a little bit.

I was hyped as fuck on these because I had actually been actively looking for a copy of both of these.

Off topic, but today I went to the new Goodwill they just built near my home and found Game Of Thrones season 1 and 2 for under $4 each. I complained about the lack of records and they gave me sone bullshit about them being an obsolete Media. I nearly walked out. Sucks cuz the old Goodwill (which was right across the street) used to save good records for me for when I stopped by...

Wait, I guess this was on topic:D

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 12:13 PM, Battra said:

Antique Malls are much better than thrift shops, typically for me anyway....

There are a few kinds of Antique Mall sellers:

1. Thrift shoppers who're upping the price.

2. Basically record stores, but overpriced.

3. Golden Unicorns that sell quality records at a fair to cheap price.

I hit one of my local antique malls today. Wasn't looking for records cuz it's usually overpriced garbage with stickers taped to the jackets to add insult to injury.

Imagine my surprise when I walked out with a pretty fucking decent 1st press of Scream Bloody Gore by Death for $15.

Suck it!

17 minutes ago, Metal Mike said:

I hit one of my local antique malls today. Wasn't looking for records cuz it's usually overpriced garbage with stickers taped to the jackets to add insult to injury.

Imagine my surprise when I walked out with a pretty fucking decent 1st press of Scream Bloody Gore by Death for $15.

Suck it!

I was thinking about heading down to one of my golden unicorn antique mall sellers.....

I'll let you know when I get a quality metal release at an antique mall. They're good for 60's to 80's for me. 

It would be nice to get something like that though...I don't even much care for Death and I'd probably have walked out with that...haha.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:52 PM, Ishtar said:

Great cover! I don't know a whole lot about country, but I imagine you're right! Pretty much anything sufficiently niche I'd bet.

This is a terrific album, BTW. A great intro to country if you're unfamiliar. I'd love to stumble across a copy of this.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:09 PM, Metal Mike said:

Suck it!

Does this count? I just picked this up on Sunday.

I also have On Stage or something to that effect by Rainbow.....

Honestly, it depends on the Goodwill. I see this with video games a lot too. One GW location will have all games at $1.99 (or $0.59 for records) and have the more popular titles marked up in price or in a glass case up front for quadruple what a video game store would sell it for. Thankfully, the most expensive record I've seen at a GW was under $2. I've found a handful of records from this decade at a Goodwill and even a signed Alice Cooper record all for 59 cents each. I follow a guy on Instagram who found that shitty twenty-one pilots "Ohio" shaped-disc for a buck at his Goodwill. It honestly just depends on the location and their manager's decisions.

Biggest tip I can give you about other chain thrift stores is just to stay away OMG Thrift! and hit up some of the smaller, often church-owned shops instead. I've found some really neat promo punk tapes from the nineties and early 2000s at a Humane Society thrift store. Just try out new places and find which places you enjoy most and have the best deals.

I've tried a few antique malls and the records are usually hilariously overpriced.

I haven't had any luck with the goodwills lately either.  I think they pull everything decent and sell it online.  If it's not on the cart of stuff they brought out it's usually garbage.

I've still had the most luck with garage sales.

42 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

LOL!! :lol:

These prices are hillarious. 

Yeah, I will stick to Discogs. Better prices, and the dealers probably grade their records more accurately. 

Edited by Plarocks