dust off records before playing

All my records are pretty clean but before I play them there might be a few small dust particles or paper fragments or something. Curious how everyone here dusted their records off of just small stuff like that before playing. My local shop uses a microfiber cloth, was curious if that was the standard or one of those velvet brushes or a carbon fiber brush.

• 2 months later...

If you use the search function; "clean" "cleaning" you'll find a LOT of my posts on this forum from when I cared more about you goons. As a molecular scientist, a really dove into cleaning records.

In a nutshell; vacuum is the best option. Everything else; not so great.

Edited by ajxd

On 7/22/2018 at 8:26 PM, imnothardcore said:

All my records are pretty clean but before I play them there might be a few small dust particles or paper fragments or something. Curious how everyone here dusted their records off of just small stuff like that before playing. My local shop uses a microfiber cloth, was curious if that was the standard or one of those velvet brushes or a carbon fiber brush.

For a deeper cleaning, you can make a cleaning solution by mixing 3 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol, and a few drops of dish detergent. Then, place your record on a cleaning mat, drizzle this solution onto the record and wipe the record with a microfiber cloth.

10 hours ago, fatalvie1 said:

For a deeper cleaning, you can make a cleaning solution by mixing 3 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol, and a few drops of dish detergent. Then, place your record on a cleaning mat, drizzle this solution onto the record and wipe the record with a microfiber cloth.

Nope. Ignore this. My posts dive into why this is bad.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, ajxd said:

If you use the search function; "clean" "cleaning" you'll find a LOT of my posts on this forum from when I cared more about you goons. As a molecular scientist, a really dove into cleaning records.

In a nutshell; vacuum is the best option. Everything else; not so great.

• 2 weeks later...