Speaker advice for small space

I know we all love these types of posts, but I've been out of the speaker game for a while (mainly a headphones listener) so I wanted to get some advice. I've posted my space below - unfortunately I have literally no other space in our tiny apartment to fit this junk so the speakers are stuck in their present location or very nearby.

I currently have a pair of bookshelf speakers (Polk Audio RTi A3's), and am looking to step up a bit tom something a little nicer. Ideally I'd be somewhere around or under $600, but looking for quality over volume, and something similar to the size seen below. If someone has advice on what they've liked in the past or are liking now I'd love to hear it - advice/criticism on re-positioning my speakers for maximum enjoyment is even better,

pHlWpO7.jpg

(apologies for the shit photo)

Edited by bluethumb

Maybe check out some Kef Q300s?  They’re front ported, so they may suit your space better than something rear ported.

I think Monitor Audio Bronze series are front ported as well.

I use some older MA RX1s for my desk setup and they sound good, but I have to plug the rear ports to avoid boomy bass due to proximity to the wall.

side note:  try moving your speakers so that they aren’t projecting into the side wall like that.  Even if they’re flush with the doorway, you may see an improvement.

Edited by Tardcore

18 hours ago, Tardcore said:

Maybe check out some Kef Q300s?  They’re front ported, so they may suit your space better than something rear ported.

I think Monitor Audio Bronze series are front ported as well.

I use some older MA RX1s for my desk setup and they sound good, but I have to plug the rear ports to avoid boomy bass due to proximity to the wall.

side note:  try moving your speakers so that they aren’t projecting into the side wall like that.  Even if they’re flush with the doorway, you may see an improvement.

Thanks, I'll check those out!

Make sure you check out your local craigslist/offerup/letgo/facebook marketplace. I get a really good deal on those sites with some of my stuff like speakers and other things.. You can also watch searches on them, like I get a notification in my area whenever anything with "Technics" in the title is listed.