System of a Down Re/Pressings

Received my Amazon order of Toxicity. Just finished spinning it. Definitely satisfied with the sound. They're approximately 22 min each side, so it wasn't a big deal.

As for the art? Kinda disappointed. I don't understand why the back cover art is really clear, and the front sucks ass! I'm still really happy they finally pressed this!

Now hopefully they give this the deluxe treatment like the limited edition Metallic art they did but with 2lp live and demos!

Come on System!

I've listened through all the albums once and S/T and Toxicity sound pretty great. Steal This Album - Hypnotize seem to suffer from inner groove distortion though because the last track of each side sound awful. Anybody else's copies sound like this too?

Edited by ghost

On 10/13/2018 at 1:12 AM, VinylMario said:

Received my Amazon order of Toxicity. Just finished spinning it. Definitely satisfied with the sound. They're approximately 22 min each side, so it wasn't a big deal.

As for the art? Kinda disappointed. I don't understand why the back cover art is really clear, and the front sucks ass! I'm still really happy they finally pressed this!

Now hopefully they give this the deluxe treatment like the limited edition Metallic art they did but with 2lp live and demos!

Come on System!

as someone that does a lot of design work as part of his job, id like to believe that nobody could fuck these kind of things up but it happens. the artwork for the original pressing of toxicity looked fine if i recall correctly (dont own it anymore) so proper art files had to exist at some point. as for the rest of these pressings - all the other cover art is pixelated as well. that said, these records pretty much all came out in an era though when vinyl wasnt a thing most people cared about so the art may have also never been properly designed for an lp cover. hard to say what the standard was back then.

2 hours ago, mattisr1984 said:

as someone that does a lot of design work as part of his job, id like to believe that nobody could fuck these kind of things up but it happens. the artwork for the original pressing of toxicity looked fine if i recall correctly (dont own it anymore) so proper art files had to exist at some point. as for the rest of these pressings - all the other cover art is pixelated as well. that said, these records pretty much all came out in an era though when vinyl wasnt a thing most people cared about so the art may have also never been properly designed for an lp cover. hard to say what the standard was back then.

Surely CD covers were designed bigger than an actual Cd though? .....and then shrunk to CD size? 

or are people that stupid?

21 hours ago, ghost said:

I've listened through all the albums once and S/T and Toxicity sound pretty great. Steal This Album - Hypnotize seem to suffer from inner groove distortion though because the last track of each side sound awful. Anybody else's copies sound like this too?

Last track on both sides of Mezmerize sounds great on my copy. I haven't listened to any of the others yet. 

6 hours ago, piky0032 said:

Surely CD covers were designed bigger than an actual Cd though? .....and then shrunk to CD size? 

They had to have been designed bigger than a cd. It's just whether or not those files are kept over 20+ years. Surely, they used the album art on some sort of large print advertisement. I'm just glad to finally have these albums. 

6 hours ago, piky0032 said:

I'd say most people have no idea how the backend of the physical music manufacturing process works despite there being a wealth of information and examples of the processes available on the internet to get an understanding. Folks just don't know. 

10 hours ago, mattisr1984 said:

I have the alternate metallic cover of Toxicity and it looks great. Aside from the later albums on pic discs, Toxicity was the only album that was pressed on vinyl, so I don't get why they didn't use that cover art file. Seems pretty lazy. But like I said I'm still glad I finally own it on vinyl!

jo1rorh.jpg

Looks like they had other plans for the spine on the self titled album. It says system of a down on the center but was covered up. Anyone else notice that? 

Also spinning the self titled album now and I've never noticed the whispering vocal back track on spiders during the first verse. 

Edited by pizza face

23 hours ago, piky0032 said:

It should have been and probably was. However, whether those files were retained after all these years is clearly  another question. Other people are seriously that stupid though. I see stuff all the time that looks like complete shit. To cite an example with a record:a few years ago, hot topic had a pressing of thrice - the artist in the ambulance that looked absolutely horrible. I mean, a million times worse than these do. You would think they wouldn't pass a project off to somebody who doesn't know what they're doing but it legitimately looks like they give these layout projects to interns who have little to no design experience. And even then, you would think they would proof the jackets before they start on the whole production run but they clearly don't.

15 hours ago, VinylMario said:

I have the alternate metallic cover of Toxicity and it looks great. Aside from the later albums on pic discs, Toxicity was the only album that was pressed on vinyl, so I don't get why they didn't use that cover art file. Seems pretty lazy. But like I said I'm still glad I finally own it on vinyl!

So, probably a pretty good sign that the files were lost or they pulled the wrong ones because they don't know any different.

1 hour ago, pizza face said:

jo1rorh.jpg

Looks like they had other plans for the spine on the self titled album. It says system of a down on the center but was covered up. Anyone else notice that? 

Also spinning the self titled album now and I've never noticed the whispering vocal back track on spiders during the first verse. 

Just flat out sloppy work done by someone who  is probably not a graphic designer (I'd hope not, anyway). 

It's cool that these records were done but yeah, the artwork is a letdown and probably a combination of inexperience and lack of original files on hand. 

22 hours ago, pizza face said:

They had to have been designed bigger than a cd. It's just whether or not those files are kept over 20+ years. Surely, they used the album art on some sort of large print advertisement. I'm just glad to finally have these albums. 

I still own a few of the 12x12 album promo cards for some of my favorite 90s albums (as good as dead, razorblade suitcase, maybe not absolute favorite but I got a few of them when I was 14 and was stoked to put them on my wall)... no excuses, someone accidentally sent a low resolution file I bet.  

I pulled out my original copy of Toxicity this morning and am spinning it for the first time in a few years. Still sounds awesome. I’m expecting my new copy of Toxicity to arrive today or tomorrow, I can post photos comparing original cover artwork to the new one if people want?

Edit - scratch that, I just got an email from Amazon saying they are trying to obtain Toxicity and so it hasn't been shipped yet. God damn it

Edited by Mikizee