THIS WILL DESTROY YOU - New Others (Part TWO out NOW!)

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

whatever happened to that restaurant soundtrack too?  This band is so weird.  Makes tons of stuff and doesn't release it, just like Prince!

Uh, The Kitchen is available here: https://thiswilldestroyyou.bandcamp.com/album/this-will-destroy-you-kitchen

Escape Angle is available here: https://thiswilldestroyyou.bandcamp.com/merch/various-artists-it-came-from-the-abyss-volume-1-lp

What are you talking about?

8 hours ago, daegor said:

I'm guessing he meant the whole kitchen soundtrack as opposed to that one track. Which is a good question, because as daft and indulgent an idea as that sounds that one track was great and I wanted to hear the rest!

1 hour ago, Mattallurgist said:

I'm guessing he meant the whole kitchen soundtrack as opposed to that one track. Which is a good question, because as daft and indulgent an idea as that sounds that one track was great and I wanted to hear the rest!

I would be surprised if we ever hear the rest of that.  It was a commissioned piece, so more then likely they don't own it.  At the very least there is likely a clause that they can't release it while the restaurant is still open.

2 hours ago, daegor said:

I would be surprised if we ever hear the rest of that.  It was a commissioned piece, so more then likely they don't own it.  At the very least there is likely a clause that they can't release it while the restaurant is still open.

Makes sense, a shame though!

Yeah, Magic Bullet was a joke of a label.  Which is a shame, because the remastered 10th anniversary Young Mountain SOUNDS fucking phenomenal, but of course they go and approve a bullshit off-center pressing that makes everything sound like it's playing through a dying cassette deck with pitch issues. 

10 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

All the TWDY Magic Bullet releases are garbage, but IIRC my Hobbledehoy press of Tunnel Blanket sounded fine, as did Another Language on Suicide Squeeze

I hate to see this and it seems pretty unanimous throughout the VC community, but I've got a copy of YM, S/T, and the Lymbyc Systym split (all Magic Bullet) and they all sound quite good. I'm not sure if they had just terrible QC or what, but the only one I could even find any issue at all with would be Young Mountain with a little surface noise. They're not ALL bad.

While there were some consistent issues (off-center press on YM anniversary), most of the other issues are bad QC hit/miss. Those vomit-colored swirls are probably as much to blame as anything else.

I appreciate that Magic Bullet kept things in print, and at a low price point, but he seemed to completely shrug off any quality issues. If you have consistency issues with quality from a particular plant or colorway, change it next time...

Magic Bullet is definitely hit or miss. I have earlier first pressings of both Young Mountain and the S/T and they were noisy as hell. However, the clear vinyl 10th anniversary Young Mountain and S/T (with the green cover) were pretty good. The vinyl is relatively quiet and not pressed off-centered. This latest pressing of the S/T on Dark Operative is kind of off-center but not to the point of it being unlistenable. The bonus 7" is pressed correctly though.

On 8/23/2018 at 12:39 PM, glass realms said:

Magic Bullet is definitely hit or miss. I have earlier first pressings of both Young Mountain and the S/T and they were noisy as hell. However, the clear vinyl 10th anniversary Young Mountain and S/T (with the green cover) were pretty good. The vinyl is relatively quiet and not pressed off-centered. This latest pressing of the S/T on Dark Operative is kind of off-center but not to the point of it being unlistenable. The bonus 7" is pressed correctly though.

You should check your clear 10th Anniv. Young Mountain because that's what I have.  It sounds like I'm riding a pitch roller coaster.  I literally thought I was crazy because I would A/B it with my OG pressing and I'm like "Its fucking there, but nobody else has ever mentioned it... does anybody listen, or is it just my copy?"

And if by some dumbshit luck yours is fine, can I have it?  Please?  :) 

• 2 weeks later...