THIS WILL DESTROY YOU - New Others (Part TWO out NOW!)

I find the discussion around mastering/mix/etc odd myself.  To my ears it's not a situation where there was a 'low quality'/'muddy' mix.  The low end is notably distorted where other frequencies/instruments are not.  Which would indicate it was a mastering choice.  Agree with it being a good idea or not, however it was presumably what the band intended.

7 hours ago, daegor said:

I find the discussion around mastering/mix/etc odd myself.  To my ears it's not a situation where there was a 'low quality'/'muddy' mix.  The low end is notably distorted where other frequencies/instruments are not.  Which would indicate it was a mastering choice.  Agree with it being a good idea or not, however it was presumably what the band intended.

THIS!

13 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah i'm not thrilled; listening on vinyl makes the drum production seem much more stark and I just don't like it.  It's so muffled and sounds like it was recorded behind a curtain.  If the drums were clear on this, I think it would crush. 

I haven't listened to this on vinyl yet, but your description matches what I heard digitally in my car.  It sounded like you were listening to the band from the green room.  I kinda dig it I think, but it's a weird choice for sure.

4 hours ago, daegor said:

I haven't listened to this on vinyl yet, but your description matches what I heard digitally in my car.  It sounded like you were listening to the band from the green room.  I kinda dig it I think, but it's a weird choice for sure.

Yeah, I find that the production choices are much better represented on digital.  When I listened on vinyl, it felt like it was too much.... "too wrong" if you will.  The vinyl did reveal some other finer details in the mix at points which was neat but that drum sound just is so much more stark and apparent on vinyl and it sounds weird. 

• 10 months later...

I finally picked up part two the other day at my LRS and I was glad that it wasn't that blob color variant. 

Spun it today and was pretty underwhelmed, the drums sound muffled like others have said and I really feel like I prefer the digital version of the album. As an entity I like the album but this vinyl version was kind of a dud, hopefully future spins help me change my mind.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I finally picked these up with the recent 3-album bundle that Dark Operative offered. I occasionally revisit these albums, but nothing ever really hits hard for me. As per Magic Bullet (v2.0), the quality is meh.

New Others pt.1 is a purple mix, and I was surprised how different this sounded from the digital. It's an improvement, but the low end is a little much. Still, I was pleasantly surprised when I spun it. 

New Others pt.2 is a vomit mix color, and it sounds like complete trash. There isn't much surface noise, so I'm not going to blame it on the puke colorway. It's probably a combination of mix/master choices and shitty quality control in approving test presses. I don't know how often I'm going to listen to this record. Garbage.

Vespertine is black. I haven't spun it yet, but given the safe color choice, and even safer production choices, I'm hoping this sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU "Variations & Rarities: 2004-2019" Vol. I

https://darkoperative.myshopify.com/products/this-will-destroy-you-variations-rarities-2004-2019-vol-i?variant=39568727572640

$20 Easter Yellow and $65 Test Press

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU "Variations & Rarities: 2004-2019" Vol. II

https://darkoperative.myshopify.com/products/this-will-destroy-you-variations-rarities-2004-2019-vol-ii?variant=39568781082784

$20 Baby Blue and $65 Test Press

Edited by tlr