THIS WILL DESTROY YOU - New Others (Part TWO out NOW!)

1 hour ago, angryalan said:

Up on Dark Ops as a clear or black (live show only) options. Also a test press (for $150 :blink: )

Stock as of now

Test Press: 14

Black: 44

Clear: 250

https://darkoperative.myshopify.com/products/this-will-destroy-you-new-others-part-one-lp?variant=13852475523114

0014305898_10_940x.jpg

Sweet, snagged a clear copy. Had I read the full post beforehand maybe I would have grabbed a black but just happy it's up for pre-order.

Edited by bluethumb

Going with black because that's the best option for best sound. 

Slightly off-topic, but do any of you guys have the Cerulean blue Young Mountain 10th anniversary?  I have a clear that I got at the first run of shows and sonically, it's one of the best records I own.  However, it's pressed off-center so there is massive pitch issues which make it unlistenable.  I'm curious if anybody can comment on the Blue's quality?  It's really a shame because that clear sounds absolutely wonderful, sonically.  The remaster is powerful. 

Clear came two days ago and had a chance to listen to it yesterday. The production still irks me greatly and ironically enough, the last track almost sounds the most polished. Quite a bit of surface noise as well, but hey they threw in a Christie Front Drive LP and a bunch of magic bullet stickers haha. I am sure it will grow on me, but I just never felt very engaged.

9 hours ago, EquinoxDesignLab said:

Clear came two days ago and had a chance to listen to it yesterday. The production still irks me greatly and ironically enough, the last track almost sounds the most polished. Quite a bit of surface noise as well, but hey they threw in a Christie Front Drive LP and a bunch of magic bullet stickers haha. I am sure it will grow on me, but I just never felt very engaged.

The familiar feeling of a shitty-sounding This Will Destroy You record is balm for the soul in these trying times.  XD

Edited by Gumbo72203

Received my clear copy. Only listened through side A thus far.

The vinyl pressing is refreshingly pretty good. Probably my best sounding TWDY album to date. It's not pressed off-center, not warped, and has minimal surface noise. 

Music so far is kind of "meh." It will probably grow on me with a few more listens. I don't find the drums to be muddy, as another person mentioned, they do sound a bit higher up in the mix though. 

Spinning my black now!  Surprisingly pretty quiet, even though my record came with some strands of vinyl hanging off the edges from a sloppy edging job at the plant.  I see what you guys mean about the drum sound now though.  I don't mean to be salty, but.... these drums sound like shit.  I feel like I'm listening to them through a curtain or something; there is no high end.  

I will say that the vinyl has revealed a lot of sonic subtleties in "Melted Jubilee" that I didn't pick up on before, so that was cool.  My black feels thick too, as if it were 180gram.  The pressing actually seems fine, it's just that the mastering on this album is garbage.  It's so squashed in the high end.  There's no brilliance.  Probably an artistic choice, but it would serve this music much better if there was some brightness. 

Quietest Magic Bullet record I've ever owned though.  Was not expecting that, at all! 

EDIT:  "Syncage" especially is a muddy mess, this is even worse than the other tracks.  It sounds like this track was recorded with low-budget equipment and made to sound "junky" during the climax.  Digital definitely is more satisfying here. 

Also, "Allegiance" is now revealing to me that it's kick drum hits are often out of time and it's driving me crazy lol.  I'm sure it's deliberate but man is it bothersome to my OCD haha.  Perhaps that's why it's titled the way it is, because the track flies in the face of keeping everything in time, something so sacred in music. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

12 hours ago, daegor said:

if someone variant collects I'd be interested to know which sounds the best, sounds like there is significant differences between the pressings.

I was very impressed with the black variant, but it revealed limitations in the production itself.  The album doesn't sound so great.  Not the pressing's fault though, but the black was very quiet with only a couple pops.  It comes in a printed inner sleeve though, and mine was scuffed up a little bit. 

Also, the plant did not do a good job at edging the record so there was vinyl debris, which is likely responsible for the couple audible scratches on my copy. 

2 hours ago, angryalan said:

I can't get over how much the intro of "To Win, Someone's Got To Lose" sounds eerily similar to Explosions In The Sky's "Disintegration Anxiety"...

Oh. Wow. Yeah that's uncanny. And it goes to show how superior that entire album is to this...