Far - Water & Solutions: What Happened

5 hours ago, mucusoffmybrain said:

Package arrived today! Unreleased Far stuff and demos on one transparent blue LP. W&S on the other LP. First note of Bury White is there.  He put a few up on his site if you missed out. 

https://jonahmatranga.bandcamp.com/merch

Here's a shit picture of the goods. 4hKSsl8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Yeah, I also got on of the han numbered guys too. I appreciate you :)

Also, what did the "extra vinyl of Far music I don't want to talk too much about" end up being?

Edited by Ishtar

15 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Huh. How did I not know he was doing a pressing of W&S and not just the demos/b-sides? Wouldn't have picked up one of the other W& S a while back that has Bury White cut off.

So this pressing differs from the SRC, as in a new stamper?! That's boss if so. I was not exactly blown away sonically by the SRC copy or perhaps just a bit not into Far like I had been in the early 2000s when I first discovered their music. 

I was so crazy about them back then I spent like $80 on a Quick CD and Listening Game not as much. I absolutely love the original two Sketchy EPs and "Tricky", that'd make a good single LP.  I do have the Sketchy#1 10", did #2 ever come as a vinyl pressing?

41 minutes ago, BrainGilliams said:

Hats off to @mucusoffmybrain for all the helpful info.  Picked up one of the leftover W&S last night.  

Seconded, just got out my SRC copy. Woefully underwhelming copy, probably did the best with what was available. Unfortunately if you don't have an unmastered copy or a protools file there's not a lot that can be done to restore dynamic range/detail....is what I have noticed in reading about the subject of mastering for vinyl. 

3 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Got my main package in the mail today! Gotta agree with what the other person said and say that for how much this cost it's pretty disappointing. I'm excited to listen to it still, but I think $60 would have been a much fairer price point.

I mean realistically, not really. When he was selling everything individually $18 each x 4 = $72. Plus Priotirty shipping because of the shirt $12-15 depending where you’re located. But also, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t selling the zine with anything, and you were able to secure everything ahead of time, instead of waiting for whatever limited amount of leftovers he’d have and ultimately sold out in two days. $90 was decent.

3 hours ago, dantheriver said:

This was kickstarter funded so of course those of us who put in overpaid a bit. I’m only really disappointed in the shirt. Would’ve rather had a much more simple design. Oh well!

Yeah, shirt unfortunately will probably very rarely get worn because it's so busy.

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

I mean realistically, not really. When he was selling everything individually $18 each x 4 = $72. Plus Priotirty shipping because of the shirt $12-15 depending where you’re located. But also, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t selling the zine with anything, and you were able to secure everything ahead of time, instead of waiting for whatever limited amount of leftovers he’d have and ultimately sold out in two days. $90 was decent.

But do you think the zine and usb drive are really $18 items? They seem like they should have been $5-$10 items tops. Overall I'm still glad I backed it because Jonah seems like a good dude and I'm glad to have gotten the record.

With everything said and done though I feel like I paid a bunch of money for something I wanted (the records) and a bunch of kind of "meh" extras. I'd have much more gladly paid $35-40 for the record and a download. (I feel like the zine could also be included in there too since I used to always get comparable zines for free with $15-$20 records all the time at shows, or again, $5ish if they somehow weren't free.)

Maybe I just expected more personalization, I donno.

Edited by Ishtar

Just got mine and the o my thing I’m not stoked on is the decent seam split on the jacket. Feel like Jonah could have shipped outside the jacket. Also, I have no need for the USB(the same as any DL from any record I’ve ever bought that includes one). But love the shirt(picked my favorite shirt color and Jonah did a great job with the color way on it), dig the gatefold jacket and zine. Pretty bare bones witch I do enjoy. 

On 12/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, Ishtar said:

Got my main package in the mail today! Gotta agree with what the other person said and say that for how much this cost it's pretty disappointing. I'm excited to listen to it still, but I think $60 would have been a much fairer price point.

Hit up Jonah - I'm sure he'll try to make  it right.

10 hours ago, Ishtar said:

For those of you interested in adding this to your discogs collection I just added the release as a compilation on the Far page there. It was kind of a pain in the ass. <3

Thank you!