PO NOW: SLEEP ‘Leagues Beneath’ | Single Sided LP w/ Etched B-Side | Third Man Records

23 hours ago, natenomm said:

Not many fans of the VHS Black variant, huh?

I think everybody around here probably got the joke. Once non-music websites started calling it VHS black, we saw a lot of confused people. We didn't want to cause people to buy two black copies. 

It was too bad. We really wanted to start labeling records "black as your soul," black panther at midnight, pothole patch, etc. Just stupid stuff really. Merge took care of it by calling all their variants "Peak Vinyl"

On 8/16/2018 at 9:20 PM, vinlyloverkittie said:

They made indie record shops buy 10 standard blk to be able to buy 1 "indie" exclusive variant lol its ganna be a bitch to get, unless you live near the stores where the colored variant will be sold. 

I've had a few people now tell me that they had to order a $145 box of 10 of the black ones in order to get 1 aquamarine. Electric Fetus's online shop actually showed it in their system as a preorder the other day which really confused me but they quickly removed it.

Anyone heard of any other label pulling shit like this with stores? I can't imagine that indie stores appreciate it much.

7 minutes ago, fish said:

Anyone heard of any other label pulling shit like this with stores? I can't imagine that indie stores appreciate it much.

Not sure about record labels but this is how EVERY comic book company handles their variants.  It's an incentive program to reward shops that stock their products.  I mean the alternative would be to have them only at the two TMR store fronts and the rest of the country not have a chance at them...

23 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

I mean the alternative would be to have them only at the two TMR store fronts and the rest of the country not have a chance at them...

I almost wish they did this as opposed to sending 2-3 copies to each store and/or making stores buy the 10 black for 1 colored gimmick route.

1 hour ago, fish said:

I've had a few people now tell me that they had to order a $145 box of 10 of the black ones in order to get 1 aquamarine. Electric Fetus's online shop actually showed it in their system as a preorder the other day which really confused me but they quickly removed it.

Isn’t this kind of how record store day works?

honestly I don’t think it matters what third man would do, people are going to shit on them, of course only if they don’t get one.  I’d assume most labels have some sort of system based on sales or a relationship when it comes to getting limited edition items into stores.  Only one store here gets loser editions from sub pop and I am going to guess it is because they buy more sub pop releases then the others, business wise it makes sense

9 minutes ago, apirk said:

Isn’t this kind of how record store day works?

honestly I don’t think it matters what third man would do, people are going to shit on them, of course only if they don’t get one.  I’d assume most labels have some sort of system based on sales or a relationship when it comes to getting limited edition items into stores.  Only one store here gets loser editions from sub pop and I am going to guess it is because they buy more sub pop releases then the others, business wise it makes sense

Press more of them and don't charge $30 for a single? I would have shit on them even more if I got the limited split color of The Sciences because the sleeve was complete garbage for $20 more than the better quality tip-on.

I just think if entire metro areas like Chicago are getting a literal handful  of these then something is just wrong with their system. Maybe a lot of labels do things this way where you have to buy a certain # to get limited stuff.  It was just surprising to me.  Just blows for anyone who wants this that doesn't live near a store that can sell dozens of  the regular version.   Thankfully I live close enough to a TMR store so I can go get one.

12 hours ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

I think most of us would have wanted it because it looks awesome but we don't because it's an incentive variant. Other than Ben.

Fixed for accuracy.

Honestly surprised some of the group-buy obsessives here haven't posted a group-buy proposalfor this, with a raffle for whoever get the variant (or highest bidder).