P.O. NOW mewithoutYou Collector's Editions/Everything Else Thread

1 minute ago, throwgncpr said:

Other than the 45rpm aspect, the original Ten Stories box is far superior to these new collectors editions. Unless they add something unique, I'm going to find it really difficult to buy new boxes for Ten Stories or Untitled

I agree with Untitled but the Ten Stories not being 45rpm is a replacement by default imo. I wonder if they'll include the bonus tracks when they eventually do it.

I hope they don't go either route and put out another Pale Horses box. What a disaster that release was. I wouldn't mind them nixing the appendix and pressing the album across both discs too, but could see it being a 3LP like Untitled.

33 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

The Pale Horses deluxe was great in concept, but that jacket turned out to be a complete mess. I would much prefer to have that in an actual box with some cool art inside instead of the floppy, prone to falling apart and tearing, jacket that they released.

Bingo bango.

The color choices for these boxes have been on point, too.  PH deluxe deserves better than a rasta tri-color.

I dunno, 45rpm is one of the extremely few marketing tactics that actually majorly improves sound unlike 180g virgin vinyl etc. Even if these reissues came in plain sleeves by themselves the difference in sound is incredible and the only way I want to listen to mwY now. 

think the manager answered "thats the plan" when asked about getting a collectors edition for all the other albums. So think Ten Stories and Pale Horses will definitely get the same treatment, but can probably take some time.

Bought the Pale Horses deluxe not so long ago from the UK store, doesn't fit nicely next to the latest CFUTF and B, S boxes. The Untitled collectors edition looks cool next to the those, just twice as fat and heavenly white. Like a good conclusion

• 5 months later...

Got mine today (EU). 10/10 for how they shipped this, I ordered both standard and collectors editions and both come sandwiched in cardboard with plastic corner ding protectors. And as if that wasn't enough, it's inside a cruciform mailer that's then wrapped in bubble wrap.

Anyway, the record packaging is again just the loveliest thing. I don't want to spoil it but there's loads of lovely touches. I find the third sleeve with the paper stuff in it a bit meh, maybe it could've just been a big 12x12 booklet instead but that's a minor issue on something otherwise so well executed. The records look great, love that the side a/b splatter looks different on each side. On a quick sound comparison, there's not much of a sound quality difference between the single and 2xLP edition apart from more sides flipping per 10 seconds of music. I'm sure someone can tell you how you can hear the crystal clarity of badger breathing on track 6 or some shit, but truth be told it sounds like the bass is deeper which gives everything else room in the mix. The single lp bass is rounded out a little and feels more set with everything else in the mix. Neither are bad pressings, both sound fantastic.

I didn't think all those years ago, when I bought Ten Stories on a whim, that mwY would become a band I loved this much to own a whole discography and it's great to have it complete, along with the bank notice to reclaim my home.

I remember how disappointing this record was when I first got it. And I tried to enjoy it. Now 12 years later or whatever, I still can't. Its just bad. I appreciate departures but this did not land for me at all. I'm so glad there are three great albums both before and after this one came out.

Speaking of which, I really need to listen to the Untitled EP and LP again. I barely spun those at all but remember really enjoying them.

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Now 12 years later or whatever, I still can't. Its just bad.

Bruh, you paid $500 for a Mars Volta box that has like 2 serviceable albums at best.  Let's be real.

Untitled LP + EP are indeed so good though.  On first listen I thought they were among the band's best material to date and in hindsight I still feel that way.  Definitely revisit those sooner than later.

26 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Bruh, you paid $500 for a Mars Volta box that has like 2 serviceable albums at best.  Let's be real.

Untitled LP + EP are indeed so good though.  On first listen I thought they were among the band's best material to date and in hindsight I still feel that way.  Definitely revisit those sooner than later.

Agreed. I'm reallly hoping to catch them on their final tour, assuming they plan to do one. Last update was that they cancelled Brother, Sister and might consider doing a tour.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, right. To each their own but even the worst TMV record is 100x more listenable than Its All...blah.