P.O. NOW mewithoutYou Collector's Editions/Everything Else Thread

1 hour ago, throwgncpr said:

I would take It's All Crazy over any TMV record ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's fair. We all have opinions on music. I wasn't trying to say that everyone should feel the way I feel about Its All Crazy. I just needed to express how completely unattractive that album is to me. Like, I can't even get any nostalgic quality out of it. I just don't ever want to hear it. That was a rough era for a few of my favorite bands. Just about one year later Minus The Bear's OMNI was mostly a disappointment save for two or three really solid tracks. Was pretty nonplussed by Circa's Blue Sky Noise as well.

Of course it’s all opinion, and we’re each entitled to have our own.  But it’s one thing to say “I never could click with this album, and 12 years later I still don’t get it” vs. “this record was never enjoyable.  It’s bad”.  I was just riffing off the objectiveness of your post.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Of course it’s all opinion, and we’re each entitled to have our own.  But it’s one thing to say “I never could click with this album, and 12 years later I still don’t get it” vs. “this record was never enjoyable.  It’s bad”.  I was just riffing off the objectiveness of your post.

I mean, anything I say about music is by definition fully subjective so even if I say "Its just bad" that's just shorthand for "its just bad [to me]."

I don't subscribe to the concept that there is any music that has an objective reality and truth regarding its quality that all humans must abide by.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, anything I say about music is by definition fully subjective so even if I say "Its just bad" that's just shorthand for "its just bad [to me]."

I don't subscribe to the concept that there is any music that has an objective reality and truth regarding its quality that all humans must abide by.

Sure.  And by extension, literally anything that anyone shares on the board is an opinion.  I would think that’s sort of a given or universally understood.  Or at least I’d hope.  Even professional music reviews, in essence, are basically opinions at the end of the day.  It’s all just a matter of how they’re framed.

It’s perfectly acceptable to not adore this album, don’t get me wrong.  Hell, it’s arguably my least favorite mwY record.  But at peak hype – when this boxset is finally shipping after months of radio silence – posting “album was bad 12 years ago and still is” invites much more of a response than if someone had posted, last year, “eh this record’s not for me so I won’t be ordering this box”.  Get what I mean?

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sure.  And by extension, literally anything that anyone shares on the board is an opinion.  I would think that’s sort of a given or universally understood.  Or at least I’d hope.  Even professional music reviews, in essence, are basically opinions at the end of the day.  It’s all just a matter of how they’re framed.

It’s perfectly acceptable to not adore this album, don’t get me wrong.  Hell, it’s arguably my least favorite mwY record.  But at peak hype – when this boxset is finally shipping after months of radio silence – posting “album was bad 12 years ago and still is” invites much more of a response than if someone had posted, last year, “eh this record’s not for me so I won’t be ordering this box”.  Get what I mean?

Well, I haven't double checked but if you look back you probably will find a post by me from last year where I say I can't bring myself to buy any other new copy of this album.

To be fair, I don't see how my negative opinion being expressed in a pretty tame fashion should have any effect on anyone else's excitement for having ordered a record they desired then ordered and waited through a long pre-order season for.

I'm happy to engage in the discourse about the subjective merits of the album though. I certainly won't disparage anyone for liking the album. Or we can focus on the material that we agree is good.

3 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Well, I haven't double checked but if you look back you probably will find a post by me from last year where I say I can't bring myself to buy any other new copy of this album.

To be fair, I don't see how my negative opinion being expressed in a pretty tame fashion should have any effect on anyone else's excitement for having ordered a record they desired then ordered and waited through a long pre-order season for.

I'm happy to engage in the discourse about the subjective merits of the album though. I certainly won't disparage anyone for liking the album. Or we can focus on the material that we agree is good.

I get where you're coming from.  Last year would've been the time to voice any disappointment with the reissue's announcement and I have no doubt that a few people did.  Vaguely recall that, as is customary when these types of boxes or deluxe editions get announced.  Can't please everyone, right?  When they're announced, a lot of people chip in their 2¢ and it's cool / interesting to see where everyone stands on the record after all this time, how it has aged for fans, where it stacks in the discography, and all that jazz.

Personal critiques of the music should not diminish others' anticipation for a pre-order from last year, you're right.  Certainly true for me – can't say I've suddenly lost interest in this thing "because McPherson said the album is just not good".  By all means, you do you, but it just seems weird to me this late in the game.  Like your post wasn't even in response to anyone, you know?

I'm not saying that there's a finite amount of time where everyone needs to get in their hot takes on a PO thread, before the records ship and everything must be rainbows and sunshine, no exceptions.  Don't interpret this post as advocating for that.  For me, if I have no interest in the reissue, boxset, or new album being offered up... I may or may not chime in with an unpopular opinion ["ugh, wake me up when this band decides to reissue their interesting albums"] or something smarmy.  But when said pre-order is shipping, photos of the variants are getting posted, and people are gushing about how great the physical product turned out... it would strike me as out of place to remind everyone that I'm not excited about the release.  Again.  I'd feel like I was deliberately trying to be a buzzkill or something, I guess.  It's why I'll dip out out of those threads when I have no horse in the race – gotta' "read the room" or whatever.  I would sit tight until the thread is bumped with a reissue or pre-order I'm interested in, and start participating again.  But I'm not you and you're not me.  So do what you gotta' do, but I just figured I'd offer a different perspective.  Maybe I'm crazy and no one else feels the same way, but it is what it is.

All that said...

I do wonder what the future editions of mwY reissues look like.  I'm down to see the rest of the catalog done in the same fashion as they've been doing.  The consistency is beautiful which makes that "LP4" obi-misstep a little more painful than it should be.  I wonder if they'll give Ten Stories the same treatment since it technically already has a box version.  I've voiced that before, I'm sure I have.  I've also probably said that I really wish Pale Horses gets a similar box, because it's easily a top-3 mwY album in my books.  And while the expanding gatefold is cool, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a box like these last 3.

He was a little vague in his answer, but I asked Mike Almquist, their manager, on Twitter a while back about doing the rest of the catalogue in this format, and he said something to the effect of "that's the plan." So yeah, even though I have all of the original special editions, I would definitely re-buy all of their other albums to match this format. 

6 hours ago, joneboon said:

I’ve contacted the manager about the obi strip, think he wants to resolve it before shipping everything out in the US.

No idea how they would like rectify it for the EU folks…

to be continued

I know it's dumb but I'm totally down to wait for these to get fixed. 

3 hours ago, OU818 said:

Here we go again! 

Hope they can resolve it quickly! As I understood the "LP4" should have been on there, likely something went wrong at the print shop. 

Also it's way better they find out now, before sending out every package. Saves the band a lot of money I guess (hope they can blame the printer)

Edited by joneboon

• 3 weeks later...

Update from Email
"

May 19th 2021 marks the 12th Anniversary of our band’s fourth album, "It’s All Crazy! It’s All False! It’s All a Dream! It’s Alright". And to commemorate this day we wanted to give you an update on the It’s All Crazy! Vinyl pre-order that started last November.

Right now vinyl are en route from New York and are set to arrive at our facilities here in Philadelphia by the end of the week. As you may recall the re-issue vinyl were listed as shipping in “Early 2021.” Now that the end of May is upon us with the second half of the year quickly approaching, we admit we have pushed the limits of what is generally acceptable as “early” for the year. We hope that you understand that this extended wait time was caused by an issue with a test pressing early on, as well as an error on the slipcase that was discovered much later in the process.

The good news is that the standard versions of the album, as well as the Audiophile Black versions of the Collector’s Editions will begin shipping to customers the week of May 24th

Unfortunately there is some bad news. Due to a clerical error the pressing plant has sent us 500 less copies than what we had ordered for the Pink Peony & Zinnia Blue version of the Collector’s Edition. Right now we are awaiting further information from the pressing plant about when we could expect to receive the rest of our order. We estimate it though that could take at least another 15 weeks or possibly more.

For now though the stock that we do have on hand will ship immediately to the customers  who ordered them first. If your order number is 30907 or higher and your order contained the Pink Peony & Zinnia Blue version of the Collector’s Edition than unfortunately your shipment is going to be delayed until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience and we are working with the manufacturer to get those additional copies sent to us as quickly as we can. We will update you as soon as we have more information."