P.O. NOW mewithoutYou Collector's Editions/Everything Else Thread

I like the variants we got, honestly it had been so long that I'd forgotten what the mockup was and just assumed it was aubergine & ice.

13 hours ago, Seanbo said:

Is it much of a difference in sound cut at 45 compared to the 33.3

6 hours ago, rcafilm said:

Yes, the difference is massive. These are some of the best sounding records I own. Detail, dynamic range, and presence are all far above their 33 counterparts.

Echoing this sentiment--part of the reason I've been doing rips on all these is because they're so drastically improved. The AB reissue a few years ago for the anniversary tour (1LP) was confirmed to use a CD master as source material, so based on how different each 1LP and 2LP has sounded to my ears, I've been running on the assumption most of the 1LPs (at least the older albums) use CD masters slightly modified for the medium and the 2LPs are dedicated remasters with higher dynamic range from whatever best source is available.  

8 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

The AB reissue a few years ago for the anniversary tour (1LP) was confirmed to use a CD master as source material, so based on how different each 1LP and 2LP has sounded to my ears, I've been running on the assumption most of the 1LPs (at least the older albums) use CD masters slightly modified for the medium and the 2LPs are dedicated remasters with higher dynamic range from whatever best source is available.  

I remember getting the AB and CFUTF a few years back.  When I listen to them I thought AB sounded amazing and CFUTF sounded muddled or compressed. Major difference to my ears. I recently picked up the 45 AB but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  I'm really hoping for a killer sounding CFUTF

Edited by Seanbo
I'm a dumbass that can't spell and voice to text sucks

4 hours ago, danmpie7 said:

I just got an ALMOST complete sonos system (Need to get the Amp still) setup and I can not wait to start spinning these again with a much better audio quality that I have had. 

Enjoy man, my whole house is Sonos and while yes, I know it certainly isn't the end-all-be-all for fidelity, I love the ease of use and ecosystem. Big fan

Just got my Ten Stories 45 order and my Catch For Us The Foxes 45 preorder on the same day.  I had been expecting Ten Stories due to shipping info emails.  I was surprised to receive CFUTF as I had received no email communication on that order.  Man I love Mewithoutyou, not so much the in-house order fulfillment.  It's been hit and miss over the years.  At least it wasn't as bad as the self titled collectors fiasco.

9 hours ago, Seanbo said:

At least it wasn't as bad as the self titled collectors fiasco.

I still need to go back and figure out which one was worse, the Untitled Collectors Fiasco or Pale Horses. I recall that one taking like a year, then they shipped most people (myself included) two copies of Side A/B. So they sent a care package with Side C/D, and a piece of paper that had the correct Dorothy lyrics on it. You were supposed to glue that down over the misprint, but I found it funnier to not replace it. All in, took about 1.5 years to get a correctly packaged copy.

I want to replace my Pale Horses Deluxe far more than Untitled so Pale Horses wins biggest fiasco. Not to mention the actual variant color is so bad. Untitled is the nicest box in my collection and it was only $60 they could have taken all the time in the world and I'd still be fine with it.

• 4 months later...

Seriously so cool of them to do this.  Agree that it wasn’t “necessary” but I think it just speaks to how invested they are in making these editions as cool as can be, and not just cramming out junk to make a quick buck.  They said they were disappointed with the way the first press turned out and they weren’t bluffing. 👏

40 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

Awesome. Also now we finally know for sure how badly we are getting shafted by labels at nowadays' 2xLP prices of $40-$50 if cost is only $7.

100% my first thought.

I was listening to the deluxe editions of Brother, Sister and It's All Crazy this week and marveling over how incredible they sound and how grateful I am that one of my favorite bands truly put in the effort to deliver products like these. Very cool and unsurprising that these fine folks are going above and beyond to take care of their fans with the fixed variant.

2 hours ago, Daiei said:

Anyone able to tell me if the collector's edition sounded way better than standard?

Yes. I have all of them and they're absolutely top tier, among the best sounding records I own. Clarity, dynamic range, and presence are all top notch. Well-pressed and arranged across the two discs with care for minimal inner groove distortion. All of mine are the black variants, so I can vouch for those and how clean they sound, your mileage may vary on the colored variants. I know they're not cheap but they're worth every penny based on sound quality alone, and then you get top notch packaging on top of that. Seriously, I wish all of my favorite albums got this treatment.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Seriously so cool of them to do this.  Agree that it wasn’t “necessary” but I think it just speaks to how invested they are in making these editions as cool as can be, and not just cramming out junk to make a quick buck.  They said they were disappointed with the way the first press turned out and they weren’t bluffing. 👏

100% my first thought.

What was were disappointed in? Don’t the variant not come out as intended / envisioned?

57 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

I was listening to the deluxe editions of Brother, Sister and It's All Crazy this week and marveling over how incredible they sound and how grateful I am that one of my favorite bands truly put in the effort to deliver products like these. Very cool and unsurprising that these fine folks are going above and beyond to take care of their fans with the fixed variant.

Yes. I have all of them and they're absolutely top tier, among the best sounding records I own. Clarity, dynamic range, and presence are all top notch. Well-pressed and arranged across the two discs with care for minimal inner groove distortion. All of mine are the black variants, so I can vouch for those and how clean they sound, your mileage may vary on the colored variants. I know they're not cheap but they're worth every penny based on sound quality alone, and then you get top notch packaging on top of that. Seriously, I wish all of my favorite albums got this treatment.

Alright, you sold me. I had all the standard versions but I just bought every CE on black. I never look at lyric books/posters so those will be useless but I want something that will sonically blow me away. It's why we listen to this medium in the first place, right? Radiohead's "In Rainbows" boxset did this to me...breathtaking.

Gonna have to hide the credit card statement from the wife next month...

And a cute little tip: promo code "hayleywontstoptweetingaboutmwY" gets you 1% off.

46 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

What was were disappointed in? Don’t the variant not come out as intended / envisioned?

Oh yeah, it came out absolutely fucked.  By no means the most offensive or gross variant in the world, but… compared to what the mock above looks like, yeah.

I recall the band manager or someone else from the band admitting that they miskeyed a number on the order form that was off by 1, and it changed the base vinyl from clear to blue.  No one caught the error until the end product was unboxed in true “oh shit” fashion.

All the other boxsets have had variants that are pretty close to the mocks.  The band has been really proud of the way they all turned out, so obviously this misstep was a first for them.  So it’s cool to see them actually correct it.

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

mwY.png

tumblr_pep1snX05E1vl5qr4o1_r1_500.gif

Might be a hot opinion but PH is top 2 for me from them. I know mwY gate keepers will insist Catch or A-B is far superior (Which the GK can suck my shit because I've been on them as long if not longer that most people I know or talk about them) but it just is personally so flawless top to bottom so I am really excited for this release. Also, they are such a class act repressing and putting this out for so cheap. It cost more to ship that the actual product. My wife actually told me about it in passing last night assuming I already saw it but I wasn't really on social media the last few days so I am glad she did.