Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter / Duophonic Thread

20 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

$28 for 1 week, non fed ex. $33 for Fed Ex 2 day. 

HMM maybe a couple of dollars more than I'd have expected but not too bad for 2 triple sets. A lot cheaper than it would probably have worked out the other way I expect! (paid $17, non tracked, yesterday for 1 lp to ship to the uk from castleface) 

UK shipping was £7 (approx $8.50)

Edited by craigeduk

3 hours ago, KaitouG said:

If you don't care for the obi you can still get them at bleep

any other online places carrying Sound Dust clear besides Bleep? this is the first reissue i'm hopping on but Bleep is saying "insufficient stock" on the clear right now. hoping to score this with cheap shipping to the US...

Just now, OldKentuckyShark said:

So I'll admit, today was really the first time I've given these two albums a go.  For you Stereolab completists, where do these albums stand for you in comparison to their others?

Sound Dust is my least favorite of all their albums, but I have to say I rate Margerine Eclipse quite highly, not in the same realm as Mars, ETK or Dots, but not too far behind 

After Mary died, I think the band really started falling off. Of course they had personal problems in there too, so it probably wasn’t the best time to keep making music. For me Sound Dust is really the end of an era. I think it’s a very good album. There are lab fans that rate it as one of their best, or at the very least, their favorite album.  For me, I think MAQ through Cobra as being their best. Sound Dust can be included in a second tier with the Switched ons, Transient and Groop. ME can kind of exist on its own in its own tier. It’s good, but not great. Would say the same for everything after it too. 

Edited by timsimmons

55 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

This is my rankings of their Lp/Vol

Transient>Vol 2>Emperor>Mars>Dots>Vol 3>Vol 1>Peng>Cobra>Eclipse>Sound>Chemical

You put emperor and mars ahead of Vol 2 and I think my list would look very similar.  Albeit I haven’t given eclipse and sound much of a chnace yet

20 hours ago, timsimmons said:

For me, I think MAQ through Cobra as being their best. Sound Dust can be included in a second tier with the Switched ons, Transient and Groop.

Yeah, mostly, though Switched On 2 is my enduring favorite. For a while I think I overrated the early stuff & underrated everything post-ETK. At the moment...

Rectoplasm

Mars Audiac Vtet

Group Voltage Milk

Emperor Tom Catsup

Datsun Lubes

Switched On

Sound-Dust

Marge Lips

Alumichoon

Transient Randy

Peng! (and I used to love it so)

Edited by conedust

14 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

BullMoose cancelled my Sound Dust clear order, apparently not getting as much stock from the distributor as anticipated. I placed my order very close to when they went up, wonder if they're getting any at all...

Yeah, I picked up Cobra & Phases clear at BM in Lewiston, Maine. They only had that one copy in the whole dang chain, wouldn’t ship or even transfer it to another location (“in-store pickup only”), and the item description was deliberately vague. When I called, the duty bot told me they could only hold it for an hour, max. So I drove down at like 90 mph after work; probably added $10 in gas to the $30 sticker price. Unregretted.

Still kicking myself, though, for not snagging an obi copy when I had the chance. Had it in my dang bleep basket & everything! Then decided against, cuz I wasn’t so into it way back when [=idjit]. 

I’ve since listened to C&P more than any other Stereolab album, and it gets better every time. Starting too be true of Sound-Dust, too...