Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter / Duophonic Thread

18 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

so are the non-obi clear copies numbered (discogs says yes)? if so, where? can't find it on my copy of Sound-Dust...

All clear copies should be numbered. The number is printed on the round white sticker thats on the PVC wallet.

The OBI copies have this numbering PLUS the hand numbering on the OBI (so 2 numbers)

1 hour ago, craigeduk said:

All clear copies should be numbered. The number is printed on the round white sticker thats on the PVC wallet.

The OBI copies have this numbering PLUS the hand numbering on the OBI (so 2 numbers)

ahh ok it looks so subtle that i almost took it for a catalogue number. but mine is numbered (2146) after all. very nice.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

You guys leaving these in the sleeves or transferring them out to avoid potential gassing?  I swapped all mine out and doctored off the hype stickers and barcodes to retain the original packaging as best as I could.

Transfer transfer transfer. Stickers are easy to peel off. You can also just store PVC sleeves separately, which I’ve done for some others that are printed or otherwise unique. These are just generic, so into the trash they go. 

2 minutes ago, fondfarewell said:

Transfer transfer transfer. Stickers are easy to peel off. You can also just store PVC sleeves separately, which I’ve done for some others that are printed or otherwise unique. These are just generic, so into the trash they go. 

Sort of what I was thinking.  The last couple of batches of Stereolab reissues have had stickers that were pretty stubborn to transplant, but I still opted to play it safe.  I haven’t seen any actual “out-gassing” occur on my records despite having only recently swapped out the (few) PVC sleeves I have, but like you said... they’re cheap and generic, so why not?  Also not a huge fan of the way they look on the shelf.

From my experience, the gassing only occurs when the record is in direct contact with the PVC (like a picture disc or some 7”s. 

there was a huge thread about it at the Steve Hoffman forums, but (shocker) it devolved into bickering. I feel like the general consensus is, direct is the worst and TBD for records not in direct contact. 

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

You guys leaving these in the sleeves or transferring them out to avoid potential gassing?  I swapped all mine out and doctored off the hype stickers and barcodes to retain the original packaging as best as I could.

I'm leaving mine only have had issues when the record is directly touching it like the side by side 7", These Arms Are Snakes/Russian Circles Split or Madlib Medicine Show: Africa

5 hours ago, timsimmons said:

From my experience, the gassing only occurs when the record is in direct contact with the PVC (like a picture disc or some 7”s. 

there was a huge thread about it at the Steve Hoffman forums, but (shocker) it devolved into bickering. I feel like the general consensus is, direct is the worst and TBD for records not in direct contact. 

A number of years back, I swapped out only those PVC sleeves in direct contact (mostly pic discs). On some darker ones, you could see some hazing had occurred. 

A couple years ago, I decided to swap out the rest. I found that adjacent poly sleeves had reacted with the PVC, becoming rippled and weaker. And the LP jackets under the poly sleeves stank like PVC. Records seemed fine, but it totally put me off keeping any PVC sleeves in my stacks.

5 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I could see it. Somehow the PVC sleeves led to a reduced DR and ear fatigue rendering the record useless

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Interesting that they are doing 2 seperate releases rather than just putting out a 3-4LP set.

Given that they obviously don't mind issuing 3LP sets it seems like they will be both at least 2LP sets, or maybe they have split them as the content wouldn't flow as a combined release? But I'm happy for as many discs as possible!