Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter / Duophonic Thread

News of Switched on Vol 5 in the latest Lab Report, make sure you check it to opt in for the limited edition lottery:

"Hello everyone,

With news of Switched On Volume 5 coming this week, I want to expand upon the new system that I’ve previously mentioned, regarding the limited edition version of Switched On Volume 5 - which will be a numbered, transparent 3xLP in a Mirriboard sleeve. 970 copies will be available.

In the past, some fans have been unhappy that they’ve missed out on the chance to purchase our limited editions - due to being offline when we’ve announced the release or in a timezone that makes it difficult to purchase the disks.

To make things as fair as possible, we’re going to run a lottery via the Lab Report mailing list. We’ll randomly choose 970 names from those who opt in. All of the ‘winners’ will be notified next week that they have been selected.

Each person selected will be sent a unique code which can be used to place a pre-order for the numbered limited edition. Winners will have seven days to use the code. After that, any remaining stock will be allocated to a reserves list.

Emails with codes will be sent out 10am [UK] Thursday 23 June. Strictly 1 pre-order per customer and the code can only be used once. Any copies appearing on Discogs will be cancelled.

To enter the draw, please opt in via the button below."

5 hours ago, glass realms said:

Can't wait for the inevitable complaints about how unfair *THIS* lottery system is.

Seems fair on paper but there's no doubt people who are going to exploit the raffle by having friends or family enter for them.  I doubt anyone is going to scrutinize the entry list and check for last names within the same zip codes... but even then, there's nothing to stop me from asking 7-8 of my non-vinyl friends to all join the raffle with their own info.

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Seems fair on paper but there's no doubt people who are going to exploit the raffle by having friends or family enter for them.  I doubt anyone is going to scrutinize the entry list and check for last names within the same zip codes... but even then, there's nothing to stop me from asking 7-8 of my non-vinyl friends to all join the raffle with their own info.

That’s what I was thinking too.  But I’m not even going to bother trying to cheat the system.  If I win great, if not fine

4 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

That’s what I was thinking too.  But I’m not even going to bother trying to cheat the system.  If I win great, if not fine

Same.  I have historically bad luck with raffles regardless – I don't think having 5 more entries "on my side" would tilt my woefully grim chances.  Plus, if they decide to print the winners' name inside the gatefold – sort of like they did last time – I'd feel really weird about having my buddy's or girlfriend's name in there for good.

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Same.  I have historically bad luck with raffles regardless – I don't think having 5 more entries "on my side" would tilt my woefully grim chances.  Plus, if they decide to print the winners' name inside the gatefold – sort of like they did last time – I'd feel really weird about having my buddy's or girlfriend's name in there for good.

That’s why my best friend named “Your Name Here” is going to enter for me. 

1 minute ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

That’s why my best friend named “Your Name Here” is going to enter for me. 

What a standup bloke.

I actually missed out on the black-orange variant of Vol. 4 and never quite cared enough to track one down.   I was fortunate enough to grab all the numbered, analog strip editions of the expanded reissues a few years back and that's something I can be happy enough with.  I'll still roll the dice here but I'm not holding my breath, and am definitely not gonna' lose sleep over it or drop $100+.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

What a standup bloke.

I actually missed out on the black-orange variant of Vol. 4 and never quite cared enough to track one down.   I was fortunate enough to grab all the numbered, analog strip editions of the expanded reissues a few years back and that's something I can be happy enough with.  I'll still roll the dice here but I'm not holding my breath, and am definitely not gonna' lose sleep over it or drop $100+.

I got a Vol 4 but missed out on the obi strip on Transient.  Still hate that I missed on that one

Crossing my fingers for the lottery, thanks for the heads up was in my promotions tab of gmail. I might have missed my chance. I would really love to get one, they are my favorite band and I have a pretty sizable collection but will probably spend the rest of my life trying to get even 1 of each release

Pulse of The Early Brain:

Simple Headphone Mind’ b/w ‘Trippin’ With The Birds’ was the second collaboration between Nurse With Wound and Stereolab. A 12” disk released on yellow vinyl [1000 copies] and black vinyl [4996 copies] The sleeve was made from a 'Mylar style’, aluminium coloured, material that was glued and sealed – each purchaser had to open the sleeve to discover which colour vinyl they had bought. The CDs were also released in a sealed sleeve. Originally released 28th April 1997 via Duophonic Super 45s. Catalogue numbers DS33-11 / DS45CD-11.

The ‘Low Fi’ EP - ‘Low Fi’, ‘[Varoom!]’, ‘Laisser-Faire’ and ‘Elektro [he held the world in his iron grip]’ was originally released as a limited edition clear vinyl 10” [approx 500 copies], black vinyl 10” and CD. Released 28th September 1992 by Too Pure. Catalogue numbers Pure 14 / Pure CD14.

‘Robot Riot’ and ‘Unity Purity Occasional’ were both written for sculptures made by Charles Long - an artist that we had previously collaborated with on the ‘Music For The Amorphous Body Study Center’ project. ‘Unity Purity Occasional’ was used in 2000 for Charles' sculpture of the same name - "Unity Purity Occasional is a sculpture with six hand-blown, tear-shaped glass cups filled with antibacterial hand gel that the visitor can pump out and disinfect their hands with. The song is channeled through three tubes that simultaneously blow the visitors’ hands dry with warm jets of air." [Text by Niki Kralli Anell]. ‘Robot Riot’ is previously unreleased.

‘Spool of Collusion’ and ‘Forensic Itch’ were originally released on August 18th 2008 as a black vinyl 7” that was given away with the initial pressing [5000 copies] of the ‘Chemical Chords’ LP. Released via Duophonic UHF Disks / 4AD. Catalogue number AD2820. ‘Spool of Collusion’ was also added, as a bonus track, to the Japanese CD release of ‘Chemical Chords’.

‘Symbolic Logic Of Now!’ was one side of a split 7” with Soi-Disant. 100 copies on blue vinyl and 2000 copies on black vinyl. Originally released in 1998 by Luke Warm Music. Catalogue number LWM001.

‘Ronco Symphony’ [Demo] – a demo version of the track from 1993’s 'The Groop Played "Space Age Batchelor Pad Music"’ album. Previously unreleased.

A cover of the track ‘ABC’ by The Multitude from The Godz album ‘The Third Testament’. The track was originally recorded for a Godz tribute album called ‘Godz Is Not A Put On’ and released in an edition of 500 copies by Lissy’s Records in 1996. The track was later released as one side of a yellow glitter 7” that was part of an exclusive Japanese box set edition of ‘Aluminum Tunes [Switched On Volume 3]’. Yellow glitter 7” – approximately 3000 copies. Catalogue number D-UHF-D21.

‘Magne-Music’ and ‘The Nth Degrees’ were added as bonus tracks to the UK limited edition CD of ‘Chemical Chords’ released 18th August 2008 via Duophonic UHF Disks / 4AD. Catalogue number CADD2815CD. Both tracks also appear on the Japanese edition of ‘Chemical Chords’.

‘Blaue Milch’ was recorded for a Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra compilation album – each artist on the album was sent a Peter Thomas audio track and was asked to build it into a new track. Originally released in 1998 by the Bungalow record label. Catalogue number Bung 048.2.

The original recording of ‘Plastic Mile’. The re-recording was released as a 7” b/w ‘I Was A Sunny Rainphase’ and subsequently compiled onto Stereolab’s ‘Fab Four Suture’ album. Previously unreleased.

‘Yes Sir! I Can Moogie’ was originally released in 1995 as part of a single sided 3 track 7” flexi-disk via Wurlitzer Jukebox. Catalogue number WJ03 - 1000 copies were pressed.

‘Refractions In The Plastic Pulse’, a track from the ‘Dots And Loops’ album remixed by Autechre. A 12” disk released on 20th April 1998 via Duophonic UHF Disks. Catalogue number D-UHF-D19. 500 copies pressed on translucent yellow vinyl and 2972 copies on black vinyl.

‘XXXOOO’ was originally released in 1992 as part of a single sided 3 track 7” flexi-disk via the Encore! label. The flexi-disk was given away with edition #6 of the 'Tea Time' fanzine. Catalogue number Encore 001.

A live version of the ‘Emperor Tomato Ketchup’ album track ‘Cybele's Reverie’. Recorded 26th September 2004 when Stereolab supported Air at The Hollywood Bowl, CA. USA. Previously unreleased.

Damn, even Bull Moose sold out, huh?  I bet this will pop up in plenty of other spots though.  Minimal diligence should net you a copy; I think I bought Switched On 3 and 4 at MSRP on Discogs.  (And Vol. 4 was even one of those limited Mirriboard copies.)

After voicing my garbage luck with raffles a couple of days ago, I ended up winning a slot in this one.  Kind of balked at $76 PPD but figured it’d be really weak of me to whine about never winning a raffle, finally win one, and then just shrug it off.  It’s definitely steep… but I feel really good about buying through Duophonic, and how that (presumably) translates into supporting the band directly.

[Plus it keeps my clear streak alive.  Outside of Switched On 4, where it’s not a possibility, every piece of Stereolab wax I own is clear and I’m into it.]

I’m gonna sit on it a little bit before deciding if I want to pay that for this or not. I think I have until the 30th and will pass the code on to someone on here if I decide not to get it.

And unrelated but has anyone else been having a huge problem with those “popups” that kick you off the site and bring you to their page? Holy fuck this place has been a shithole for months because of it. It took me 10 minutes just to write this comment because of it. I thought they would have fixed it by now but it’s still going strong.