Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter / Duophonic Thread

The ads have become more and more intrusive as time has gone on.  It used to be one little banner snuck in near the top of the page.  Then eventually 2.  At some point I noticed that there’s one that loads – very “conveniently” – near the very top of the browser on mobile, after you expand your notifications.  Super easy to accidentally tap that one if you’re in a hurry or not paying attention.  I tolerated all of these for a while because I absolutely do not support SRC or whoever VC is in bed with, these days, and I’m sure there’s costs for keeping the lights on.

But a couple of months ago, the ads seemed to really ramp up in size and aggression.  The worst was the heinous, oversized blocks that would appear between paragraphs in longer posts.  But the tipping point, for me, was a completely vertical poster for… I think it was Alaskan flights / travel?  It took up the entirety of the screen on mobile.  I could see the forum’s color scheme peeking out from behind the edges of the ad, but had to scroll the total length of my phone’s display just to see the first thread, or reply, or whatever content I was trying to read.

That’s when enough became enough.

I went into the App Store and grabbed a couple of blockers for my phone.  Desktop has always been ad-free for me, but a lot of my browsing is on mobile, and I’m not going to compromise when ads are that excessive and obnoxious.  Haven’t looked back and can’t imagine trying to browse this site without some sort of blockers, going forward.

Moral of the story: if you’re going to spam ads for revenue, know your limits.  Ya’ll could’ve had me with a few modest banners here and there but ya’ blew it.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:22 PM, Derek™ said:

Damn, even Bull Moose sold out, huh?  I bet this will pop up in plenty of other spots though.  Minimal diligence should net you a copy; I think I bought Switched On 3 and 4 at MSRP on Discogs.  (And Vol. 4 was even one of those limited Mirriboard copies.)

After voicing my garbage luck with raffles a couple of days ago, I ended up winning a slot in this one.  Kind of balked at $76 PPD but figured it’d be really weak of me to whine about never winning a raffle, finally win one, and then just shrug it off.  It’s definitely steep… but I feel really good about buying through Duophonic, and how that (presumably) translates into supporting the band directly.

[Plus it keeps my clear streak alive.  Outside of Switched On 4, where it’s not a possibility, every piece of Stereolab wax I own is clear and I’m into it.]

Well, if you have buyers remorse, hit me up. 😄

I went to my local store and pre-ordered the mirror board cover on black for $37.99, out the door.

While I lost the lottery, I am saving $35+ and obtaining the same music. 

Edited by Plarocks

On 6/24/2022 at 12:20 AM, Bronchitis said:

I’m gonna sit on it a little bit before deciding if I want to pay that for this or not. I think I have until the 30th and will pass the code on to someone on here if I decide not to get it.

And unrelated but has anyone else been having a huge problem with those “popups” that kick you off the site and bring you to their page? Holy fuck this place has been a shithole for months because of it. It took me 10 minutes just to write this comment because of it. I thought they would have fixed it by now but it’s still going strong.

Please put my name in the VC lottery, for the lottery.