Jump to content

Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter / Duophonic Thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

Every Duophonic variant is clear. Yawnnnnnn.

 

18 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

I'll never understand. It has a bad rep for noise and my worst-sounding wax outside of grey are all clear & it's a cheap-out since the lack of colour dye is less costly. But you guys do you, I guess.

you must be fun at parties 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outside of a Tri/quad color record or a picture disc, I find the color is meaningless and surface noise/flatness/general playability has more to do with where it was pressed and not the color.  I don't think I could really pinpoint one being worse than another. But if thats your experience, that sucks. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

I'll never understand. It has a bad rep for noise and my worst-sounding wax outside of grey are all clear & it's a cheap-out since the lack of colour dye is less costly. But you guys do you, I guess.

Clear records are definitely not cheaper to press than standard. They're more of a pain for the pressing plant because they have to make sure the press is completely clean before they run the clear stuff. Go check the price list for any vinyl plant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, arem said:

Clear records are definitely not cheaper to press than standard. They're more of a pain for the pressing plant because they have to make sure the press is completely clean before they run the clear stuff. Go check the price list for any vinyl plant. 

I never said compared to standard black. I was talking  about clear vs. clear dyed with a colour. Naturally clear is it's own cost-bracket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage is the logical extension of D&L, but its not as good (though, still a really good album - just not as good as...). Emperor Tomato Ketchup is probably their second best album. But its kinda different to D&L.

 

 

I think one of the best things about this band is that they changed from album to album, but there are threads in their sound that link all the albums. 

 

Picking up Switched on Vol 1&2 will give you a great overview of their sound as well.

 

 

Edited by timsimmons
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

As someone who digs D&L but hasn’t checked out much more from Stereolab, what’s the next natural step to take in exploring their discography?

 

21 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Picking up Switched on Vol 1&2 will give you a great overview of their sound as well.

 

I'd really really recommend picking up Switched on Vol 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2018 at 5:59 PM, Derek™ said:

As someone who digs D&L but hasn’t checked out much more from Stereolab, what’s the next natural step to take in exploring their discography?

Emperor Tomato Ketchup is a similar vibe, I also recommend Transient Random- Noise Bursts With Announcements

 

I grabbed Vol. 1 today, sound quality is fantastic. My copy was a little dished but it tracks through so I can deal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Got Peng! and Groop today.

 

 

So, these still have Too Pure listed as the label (but seeing as the label doesn't exist anymore). There is a sticker on the plastic noting they are from the Beggars Arkive (their spelling, not mine). So It looks like Beggars Group pressed these. I'm assuming they worked with Duophonic because they went with Clear for the first pressing as well and Stereolab seems to be promoting them on IG and Twitter. So hopefully these are from the original source. I'll spin them later today and post my thoughts on the sound.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Got Peng! and Groop today.

 

 

So, these still have Too Pure listed as the label (but seeing as the label doesn't exist anymore). There is a sticker on the plastic noting they are from the Beggars Arkive (their spelling, not mine). So It looks like Beggars Group pressed these. I'm assuming they worked with Duophonic because they went with Clear for the first pressing as well and Stereolab seems to be promoting them on IG and Twitter. So hopefully these are from the original source. I'll spin them later today and post my thoughts on the sound.

 

 

Yep Martin Pike confirmed on their forum they have been remastered by same source as the Switched On releases so seems all part of the same "campaign". Didn't need to get them but I thought I'd go for them to get them all on clear.

 

The reissue campaign has started me trying to fill in some of my gaps on the singles/ep side. Just added the Instant 0 3x7" box and the 10" for Ping Pong & Cybeles Reverie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but did anyone else notice that there are 2 different pressings of Peng! and Groop? The copies I got locally doesn't say anything about being remastered at Calyx on the back cover unlike the ones posted at Juno (along with some other minor artwork changes). Also the runouts are definitely different from the Switched-On releases as the one I got don't have Bo's etchings on them.

 

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/stereolab-peng-reissue/707557-01/

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/stereolab-the-groop-played-space-age-bachelor/707558-01/

 

Please tell me I'm not going crazy here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, timsimmons said:

They’ve been in/out of print for a few years. I’m sure copies from the last run are still around. I’m guessing yours are those and not the new ones. 

If his copies are clear vinyl, they're new pressings. Neither album has ever been pressed on coloured vinyl previously. The new pressings also have new hype stickers on them. The previous pressings only had "MP3 Download Included" stickers on the cover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, glass realms said:

If his copies are clear vinyl, they're new pressings.

They are indeed on clear with the new hype stickers. Kind of a bummer the US pressings may not be remastered. Oh well. I'll pick them up from Juno in the near future and maybe compare the 2 pressings.

Edited by KaitouG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

Please disable AdBlocker

Okay