PO soon: boygenius (Julien Baker /Lucy Dacus/ Phoebe Bridgers) - boygenius EP

2 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Yeah, I think we do from my recollection.

I did check out Bridgers yesterday and enjoyed her stuff quite a bit. I had never heard of her before, so that was a nice surprise. My feeling from what I've heard so far is that this may be a case of the parts being greater than the whole, which I think it pretty common with these types of groups. Not saying they're going to be bad or anything, just that if I love Baker, and really like Bridgers, that sets a high bar for this band to try to reach. I still haven't given the other gal in the group a listen yet.

I don’t doubt that bit at all.  But like you said, that really does feel like par for the course with these sorts of projects.  Hardly bad, just a few too many cooks in the kitchen for these supergroup records to achieve fabled status, more often than not.  But considering that it may be a while since we get another full length from Bridgers or Baker, I’ll gladly throw $20 to hear more of them.  I’ve still only sampled the “worst” of the new singles, immediately heart Phoebe’s vocals, and decided that was enough to roll the dice.  Can’t see myself being terribly disappointed.

I also feel bad for Lucy Dacus, having never even seen her name before this thread.  Whoops.  At least she’ll get some exposure from this project.

1 minute ago, Freeaxl said:

Any idea how many were pressed?

Your guess is as good as mine. If you consider the first 150 came with posters & when that was removed from the listing, the time it went on sale & how many are "apparently" left ATM. I'd guess 1000 for the US? But I've seen stock go back up on "Limited" releases when it sold out or got close to 0 so.....

On 8/20/2018 at 11:47 AM, FiggyPud said:

Go listen to “Stranger In The Alps” right now.  Plus you’re a big Ryan Adams fan, right?  He fully endorses her.

I'm on the last song of Stranger in the Alps as I type this and I can confidently agree with this

On 8/20/2018 at 9:47 AM, Derek™ said:

Bridgers >

Though I'm biased because I hate Julien Baker. Maybe I need to listen to that LD record more because I liked a few of the songs but not the whole thing.

2 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

I'm on the last song of Stranger in the Alps as I type this and I can confidently agree with this

Though I'm biased because I hate Julien Baker. Maybe I need to listen to that LD record more because I liked a few of the songs but not the whole thing.

How do you hate Julien Baker??

Oh shit. I totally slept on this thread/preorder. It's sold out now.

But I did notice the tour dates  from catching up on this thread and grabbed some tickets for the Toronto date on 11/10. 

I'm yet to see Julien Baker so I'm really excited. I've been into her for years but she doesn't seem to hit the east coast much, and living in a city that doesn't usually get big shows I haven't been able to catch any of the near by shows. 

Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse get no love from tours anymore because

Water Street Music Hall closed in Rochester. The venues all suck now. 

Bug Jar - ~150 people

Montage - probably 300 to 500 range but it's awkwardly laid out and is kind of a dump. 

Anthology - ~1000 but I'd say a third of the crowd can't even see the stage. 

The Main Street Armory - 3000+ and the sound is worse than any venue I've ever been to. Plus the tickets are always 30+ plus fees. 

CMAC - 15,000+. Can barely see from the lawn seats. Sound is good though and if it's a nice day, it's great to not be in an enclosed space. Merch is too expensive. 

1 hour ago, Buffbloom said:

Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse get no love from tours anymore because

Water Street Music Hall closed in Rochester. The venues all suck now. 

Bug Jar - ~150 people

Montage - probably 300 to 500 range but it's awkwardly laid out and is kind of a dump. 

Anthology - ~1000 but I'd say a third of the crowd can't even see the stage. 

The Main Street Armory - 3000+ and the sound is worse than any venue I've ever been to. Plus the tickets are always 30+ plus fees. 

CMAC - 15,000+. Can barely see from the lawn seats. Sound is good though and if it's a nice day, it's great to not be in an enclosed space. Merch is too expensive. 

Oh shit I didn't know Water Street closed?! It's been awhile since I've been there, usually Bug Jar is my go to. It's rare a good tour skips Buffalo and hits Rochester, but it happens occasionally. I caught that Touche Amore tour at Bug Jar last October. 

• 1 month later...