PO soon: boygenius (Julien Baker /Lucy Dacus/ Phoebe Bridgers) - boygenius EP

4 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

You will see the black for less than that one day! 😄

I found so many classic black albums I did not want to pay retail for from Amazon, and their various other outlets. (Deep Discount, Import CDs on E-bay, etc.)

Yessir! My record collecting focus is starting to shift toward just buying one copy on regular old black vinyl. I get to buy more records, my bank account remains steady, and I'm not stressed about getting an order in for a limited copy.

A friend of mine said that because of this new outlook I am achieving vinyl nirvana. 

5 minutes ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

Yessir! My record collecting focus is starting to shift toward just buying one copy on regular old black vinyl. I get to buy more records, my bank account remains steady, and I'm not stressed about getting an order in for a limited copy.

A friend of mine said that because of this new outlook I am achieving vinyl nirvana. 

Took me a decade to get here. It’s really so much better and makes it less stressful and the actual fun hobby I signed up for

8 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Took me a decade to get here. It’s really so much better and makes it less stressful and the actual fun hobby I signed up for

Right about the same time for me, cheers. I tell myself all the time that I see the spine of my record sleeve 99.8% of the time anyway, so it really doesn't matter what color is in there. 

I still have some blind spots in this approach, but I'm okay with that. 

1 minute ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

Right about the same time for me, cheers. I tell myself all the time that I see the spine of my record sleeve 99.8% of the time anyway, so it really doesn't matter what color is in there. 

I still have some blind spots in this approach, but I'm okay with that. 

If I can get a nice variant that matches the art I will. But I’m not gonna stress over it anymore. I’ll pick this up on black at some point 

1 minute ago, Plarocks said:

I am not quite at the level that you guys are, as I buy some of the limited colored pressings of artists I REALLY like, and I camp out on RSD....

but I am “getting there.” 😄

You are on the right path, my son. You have taken the first step toward the darkness of black vinyl. 

Luckily, I don't have to camp for RSD. I have a little store in town that gets everything, and I only have to show up around an hour before opening and I'm within the first 10 in line. It's pretty great. 

1 minute ago, Sh100by said:

It's even cheaper to not buy a record at all when you miss the limited variant.

That is very true, but then I feel like the kid who takes the ball home after not being picked for a team. 

But we  digress. I'm sure the people who follow this thread are irritated by the constant notifications that aren't directing them to this record. Sorry, folks. 

1 hour ago, billya said:

Google translate says "available within one week (if available from the supplier)". Has it said that the whole time? Could that mean backordered?

Yeah, mine says the same.

I have that extra copy, as why I did not look for it along with my three other “Love Record Stores” items. 

But, they don’t charge until it ships if I don’t use PayPal. For $19, I will take it! 😉

2 hours ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

You are on the right path, my son. You have taken the first step toward the darkness of black vinyl. 

Luckily, I don't have to camp for RSD. I have a little store in town that gets everything, and I only have to show up around an hour before opening and I'm within the first 10 in line. It's pretty great. 

I am actually envious of this. 👍🏻

But, my local usually gets 80% of what I want, at or below retail. Plus, they mark down stuff that has not sold, and put out a bunch of cool used stuff just for the event. This includes a GIANT dollar bin. 

Plus, it is the same 6 people in line, up front every year. Fortunately we have different enough tastes where we are not elbow-ing each other when the record store opens.

Unless it is 13 degrees outside or raining, I enjoy it. 😄

While I do get that settling for black vinyl is mighty convenient, I’m not entirely sure that it’s truly cheaper in the grand scheme of things.  I guess a lot of it depends on the genres and artists you’re interested in, but the pursuit of limited variants, early bird pre-orders, etc. has resulted in a collection that’s easily worth triple or quadruple the amount of money I’ve put into it.  I’m not advocating a flipper lifestyle, but more than ever there are months where 80-100% of the items I pre-order or track down are funded by profitable sales of older shit I don’t listen to.  And this isn’t even touching on gimmicky videogame OST bootlegs or super limited vaporwave releases.  I’m sure I’d be sitting pretty if I had interest in those and monitored the value of them over the years.  But even then, it feels like the hobby funds itself at this point, more or less.  Which wouldn’t be possible for settling for whatever Amazon stocks, 99% of the time.

Honestly, a good middle-ground is probably just sticking to indie exclusives and ordering from Bull Moose whenever possible.  Often the cheapest route, and you still wind up with something cooler than the standard press, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Edited by Derek™

This was one  of only  3 things I wanted on LRS Day. Rough Trade (one of my usual go to sites) crashed right at 9 AM. Sped around some of the other UK record shops like Norman, all sold out. Went to the official LRS Day site and started clicking through al the participating shops they had listed. Sold out, sold out, never had it, etc etc. About 30 shops in the angels sang, the harps played and I found a copy - HALLELUJAH! So happy! Sent the link to a pal who also wanted it but was sold out by the time he tried 10 minutes later.

Maybe it is all in the chase...?

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

While I do get that settling for black vinyl is mighty convenient, I’m not entirely sure that it’s truly cheaper in the grand scheme of things.  I guess a lot of it depends on the genres and artists you’re interested in, but the pursuit of limited variants, early bird pre-orders, etc. has resulted in a collection that’s easily worth triple or quadruple the amount of money I’ve put into it.  I’m not advocating a flipper lifestyle, but more than ever there are months where 80-100% of the items I pre-order or track down are funded by profitable sales of older shit I don’t listen to.  And this isn’t even touching on gimmicky videogame OST bootlegs or super limited vaporwave releases.  I’m sure I’d be sitting pretty if I had interest in those and monitored the value of them over the years.  But even then, it feels like the hobby funds itself at this point, more or less.  Which wouldn’t be possible for settling for whatever Amazon stocks, 99% of the time.

Honestly, a good middle-ground is probably just sticking to indie exclusives and ordering from Bull Moose whenever possible.  Often the cheapest route, and you still wind up with something cooler than the standard press, if you’re into that kind of thing.

This is all very true. I'm definitely in that middle ground. I still go for the limited if I can get it easily or it's not much more expensive (>$5). I still buy tour copies things like that. I guess what I meant is that I am only buying one copy of records these days. I've also gone back to sell limited color copies, just to buy a black copy of the same record and a few other with the sale of that one. The hobby is really funding itself for me as well.  So I'm right there with you!

On 6/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, Scruffy...the janitor said:

I'm like halfway there. Some shit I care about, but a lot of times I just grab black off amazon at some point down the road. Guess it depends on how much I care about the artist, or what kind of mood I'm in on the day preorders go up.

The bright eyes release this morning was exhausting trying to follow. Most days I would have just passed and went for a black copy later down the road.

I'm also starting to think this might be too good to be true. Shipping price aside, the "available within one week (if available from the supplier)"  text on the website scares me a little. Makes me think they have no idea how many they are getting, and figured they'd just take orders and cancel if necessary. Seems odd all other retailers are sold out and this one is still taking orders.

I get the wanting the rare variant, but if we are truly in the hobby for listening purposes that is not always the best path, I missed the tricolor the closest show was 4 hours away and without consecutive days off it was not feasible and sold out before I could try to rearrange my schedule so I settled for the black, and from what I hear the tricolor is noisy, the black is not and the mastering is superb, Heba Kadry is one of my favorites for modern mastering engineers, she did the recent Daughters and Chelsea Wolfe. I got my employee discount so $14-15 for a record with 3 of my favorite modern artists still seemed like a no brainer even with no hope for resale down the line, but that is also tough to say. 10 years down the line who knows they could all be on different labels and at a stand still for licensing a reissue

On 6/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, Streiti said:

Am I doing something wrong or is shipping from jpc to the US somehow cheaper than me shipping a record from NJ to NY?

• 2 weeks later...