PO Now: Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine (Pledge Music)

1 hour ago, filthyrich said:

LMAO at all the folks on this thread shitting on Semisonic..... But then happily listening to songs from Adele, MMJ, Weezer, Panic At The Disco, Phantogram, Halsey, Vance Joy, and Leon Bridges. All of which were written by.... the guy from Semisonic. 

He wrote My Morning Jacket's songs?  That's news to me, where did you see that?  And he wrote Weezer's Blue and Pinkerton?  Also news to me.   For my comment I wasn't shitting on Semisonic per se, but the fact that they would seek $50 for their record.  

40 minutes ago, aopps42 said:

He wrote My Morning Jacket's songs?  That's news to me, where did you see that?  And he wrote Weezer's Blue and Pinkerton?  Also news to me.   For my comment I wasn't shitting on Semisonic per se, but the fact that they would seek $50 for their record.  

I had to look that up too. Looks like it was Big Decisions from The Waterfall. 

Also, I agree. I think peoples’ biggest problem with the release is the $63 shipped— not the album itself. Heck, if it was half the cost I probably would have jumped on it. I want to say that Everclear’s recent releases were like 40 a pop, and I eventually talked myself into those when I saw them going for $30 on discogs. With BM having it for 30, I might justify it with some points that have been burning a hole in my pocket. 

Edited by PookdaddyG

• 2 weeks later...

Press release about this that just crossed my desk. Just passing it on. Do what you like with it.

Semisonic Announce 20th Anniversary Edition of Feeling Strangely Fine
Available October 19 via UMe

First-Ever Semisonic Album To Be Pressed on Vinyl

Expanded CD/Digital and Limited Edition Vinyl Includes Four B-Sides
utre_ReissueCover--2.jpg
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of their seminal album Feeling Strangely Fine, Semisonic will release a deluxe edition reissue of the record on October 19th via UMe. The album will be released on deluxe edition CD and digital, as well as a limited edition gold vinyl pressing, which marks the first time ever a Semisonic album has been pressed to vinyl LP. 

In addition to hits like "Closing Time," "Secret Smile" and "Singing In My Sleep," the deluxe edition features four B-sides taken from international CD singles that were released at the time of the album. Find a full tracklist below.

Today, Semisonic shared a previously-unreleased demo of "Closing Time" giving fans a glimpse into the evolution of the song. The Grammy-nominated, final version of "Closing Time" appears on the upcoming release out October 19.

Stream "Closing Time" (Demo):

Stream "Closing Time":

The album is currently available for pre-order via PledgeMusic and includes unique premiums including lessons with bassist John Munson and drummer Jake Slichter, as well as the original "Closing Time" 2" safety master tape reel. 

"When I started writing songs for the album that would become Feeling Strangely Fine, John Munson and Jake Slichter and I were living in South Minneapolis. I had decided a while back that my best songs were about me and the people I loved or admired and our adventures and troubles, and the new songs really reflected that ideal. I was writing about our lives," reflects Dan Wilson. "I remember telling Jake I wanted to make a record that had the folk music simplicity of Simon & Garfunkel but also the loudness of U2 and Nirvana. I wasn't thinking that these songs would become the soundtrack for so many people's lives. We definitely weren’t thinking that these songs would still be played on the radio 20 years later."

Last year, Wilson released Re-Covered, a unique album that finds the Grammy-winning songwriter reinterpreting songs from his storied career that he wrote for and with other artists.

Tracklist:
1) Closing Time
2) Singing in My Sleep
3) Made to Last
4) Never You Mind
5) Secret Smile
6) DND
7) Completely Pleased
8) This Will Be My Year
9) All Worked Out
10) California
11) She Spreads Her Wings
12) Gone to the Movies
B-Sides:
13) Long Way from Home
14) I’m a Liar
15) Beautiful Regret
16) Making a Plan

About Dan Wilson:
Dan Wilson is a Grammy-winning songwriter, artist, and producer. His long songwriting resume includes three modern classics: “Closing Time”, which he wrote for his band, Semisonic, “Not Ready to Make Nice” (co-written with Dixie Chicks) and “Someone Like You” (co-written with Adele). Prior to his time with Semisonic, he was a member of the band Trip Shakespeare. Since Semisonic, Dan has released four solo albums and has become a highly sought-after songwriting collaborator. He has written with and produced a diverse group of artists including Adele, Dixie Chicks, Chris Stapleton, Phantogram, Bishop Briggs,  The Head & The Heart, Dierks Bentley, My Morning Jacket, Keith Urban,  Taylor Swift, and many others. Recently, he co-wrote Halsey’s top 40 hit “Alone,” the Vance Joy single "We're Going Home," Leon Bridges' "Shy," and Noah Cyrus' "Almost Famous," which he also produced. Wilson’s 2017 album, ‘Re-Covered’ is a collection of his reinterpretations of songs he wrote for and with other artists.  Dan has also created a series of songwriting and collaboration advice on Instagram titled Words & Music in Six Seconds. 

About Jacob Slichter (drummer for Semisonic):
In addition to drumming for Semisonic, Jacob Slichter is the author of So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star (Broadway Books, 2004). He has written for the New York Times, has been a commentator for NPR’s Morning Edition, and currently teaches creative nonfiction at Sarah Lawrence University. He also blogs about connections between music, writing, and other art forms at portablephilosophy.com

About John Munson (bassist for Semisonic):
Since Semisonic, John Munson has continued to be a leader in the thriving Minneapolis music scene. He currently plays with The New Standards (alongside Chan Poling of The Suburbs); the group recently played sold out shows at The State Theater and Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. He also plays with The Twilight Hours alongside Matt Wilson (of Trip Shakespeare and Dan's brother) who are working on their new record. Munson held the title of Music Director for the nationally broadcast American Public Media program Wits! during its six years on air. He recently produced critically acclaimed records for Minneapolitan artists Dylan Hicks and Lucy Michelle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 10:19 AM, angryalan said:

Bullmoose has a regular black variant at $33.97, but only mentions 1LP...

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/27901414/semisonic-feeling-strangely-fi

Updated the listing.

Now says black/gold vinyl and 2LP! :)

Edited by Plarocks

• 2 months later...

To those who pre-ordered the signed edition... Has anyone received any notice of shipping or when that may be?

Asking because it appears as though the "gold" pressing is available now, but I haven't heard anything about the Pledge Music preorders...

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/sale/products/feeling-strangely-fine-20th-anniversary-edition

Edited by angryalan

On 8/24/2018 at 2:12 PM, filthyrich said:

LMAO at all the folks on this thread shitting on Semisonic..... But then happily listening to songs from Adele, MMJ, Weezer, Panic At The Disco, Phantogram, Halsey, Vance Joy, and Leon Bridges. All of which were written by.... the guy from Semisonic. 

All of which are SHITE to me.