PO: Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Wasteland [10/12/18]

Uncle-Acid-The-Deadbeats-Wasteland-LP-73

You can probably feel it already. Amid the shimmering haze of dusk. In the marrow of your bones. The darkness is getting darker. Malevolent forces are on the prowl. The wasteland is beckoning. Uncle Acid is on his way home.

A disorientating journey through Kevin Starrs (AKA Uncle Acid)’ wonkiest dreams, Wasteland glides majestically from punchy and direct psych-rock anthems like "I See Through You" and "Shockwave City" to the viscous, somnambulant ooze of the eight-minute "No Return" and the twinkly-eyed bad trip of the album’s mesmerising title track. Recorded at the legendary Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles, Wasteland boasts the kind on irresistibly raw and exuberant sound that only the greatest bands can generate. 

Yet more confirmation that Uncle Acid exist in their own musical universe, Wasteland is also a powerful cautionary tale: one rooted in the alien landscapes of Starrs’ imagination, but with a very clear connection to the deranged chaos of today’s political world. As humanity cheerfully circles the plughole, Dystopian visions and present-day horrors have become more-or-less interchangeable, making Wasteland’s ghoulish surrealism a lot more pertinent and disturbing in the process.

While most musicians seem content to chase their own (or other people’s tails), Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats remain proud and resolute individualists and Wasteland is simply their most powerful and memorable spurge of creativity to date. Masterfully echoing the magical atmospheres of heavy music’s turbulent past while sounding entirely unlike anything else available to human ears, this is what happens when the shadows come to life and suffocating darkness, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats style, is the only show in town. 

1. I See Through You
2. Shockwave City
3. No Return
4. Blood Runner
5. Stranger Tonight
6. Wasteland
7. Bedouin
8. Exodus

https://www.shinybeast.nl/item/466629/uncle_acid_the_deadbeats_wasteland_black.html

https://www.shinybeast.nl/item/466631/uncle_acid_the_deadbeats_wasteland_orange.html

https://www.shinybeast.nl/item/466630/uncle_acid_the_deadbeats_wasteland_vanilla.html

https://www.burningworldrecords.com/products/wasteland-uncle-acid-the-deadbeats-vinyl-lp-vanilla-orange-pre-order-cd?variant=12514671099998

Edited by mcpherson123

38 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Wasteland is also a powerful cautionary tale: one rooted in the alien landscapes of Starrs’ imagination, but with a very clear connection to the deranged chaos of today’s political world.

Excited for this one but I'm getting tired of every new album bio having to say something about the 'current political climate'. 

Edited by CatsNJazz

Just now, CatsNJazz said:

Excited for this one but I'm getting tired of every new album bio having to say something about the 'current political climate'. 

Artists reflect the world and usually the CURRENT zeitgeist politically and otherwise. Feels pretty chaotic in general and in a few ways unprecedentedly so. They wanted to express that point specifically it seems. Not sure who penned that bio/album hype.

4 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Artists reflect the world and usually the CURRENT zeitgeist politically and otherwise. Feels pretty chaotic in general and in a few ways unprecedentedly so. They wanted to express that point specifically it seems. Not sure who penned that bio/album hype.

True and I'm not saying that they shouldn't write songs about the current politics I just dont think it has to be explicitly explained in the bio of the album for every album being released these days 

Just now, CatsNJazz said:

True and I'm not saying that they shouldn't write songs about the current politics I just dont think it has to be explicitly explained in the bio of the album for every album being released these days 

I hear you. I just think that it speaks to the pervasiveness of the oddness we are living in currently. I don't think a lot of the issues are particularly new but most of what has been chaotic is coming to light to greater masses of people than probably any other time in recent history. The other side of the coin is it could just be a way to imbue another level of hype into the selling of new music. Just attach it to the current excitement being felt in the political arena.

Though I do agree with the sentiment that, when people say "I'm not political but..." and then follow up with a stance, there is nothing that is not political. Politics is how humans organize their addressing of policies, needs and justice protocol. Literally everything is political because politics is designed to intercede in controversy so as to resolve issues. We just haven't done a shitload of resolving for a while because people can't agree on what the "basic good" of people actually is. I really don't think the consensus ever used to be this widely split on what constitutes the righteous good of all.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CalebDW said:

Holy shit I'm so fucking high. I went and found this on Spotify and hit play and forgot I had it on repeat, lol! I thought this song was over ten minutes long!

• 2 weeks later...