PO Now: It Looks Sad. - Sky Lake LP

This looks like a bit of departure from their fantastic self-titled EP but I'm still very excited for this release.  It was a long time in the making so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.  PO and single available here.

http://www.tinyengines.net/products/624644-it-looks-sad-sky-lake

v600_TE189_ItLooksSad_hi_res.jpg

Pressing Information

First Pressing (Vinyl): 
200 Translucent Blue & Sea Glass Split (mailorder exclusive) 
300 Custom Opaque Mixed Purple

First Pressing (Cassettes): 
50 Goldenrod 
100 Light Blue

23 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Liking Drool a whole not more than the first single, Light. Will probably let the next single decide whether I jump in before or after I hear the whole album. Or FOMO on trans blue/sea glass split.

Totally agree, I was out based on "Light" but "Drool" turned my opinion around a bit. I had hoped for a continuation of their previous sound, but reading how he/they talk about the new album piqued my interest - preordered the blue/seaglass.

"Unlike any previous It Looks Sad. project, these 15 songs are more partial to synths than guitars. Opening track “Shave” recalls the thumping shimmer-pop of Washed Out, and there’re a series of sub-two-minute interludes that soak Turner’s disaffected voice in auto-tune a la fellow NC musician Mathew Cothran (Coma Cinema). Whereas Turner’s early material reached out to pull listeners in, Sky Lake builds a world that’s lush and inviting but doesn’t beg to be entered. Its hooks are noticeably less immediate than the ones on Kaiju, and the lyrics—though directed toward another unnamed “you,” a mysterious other whom Turner has sang at for years—are more ambiguous.

“I really wanted to write songs that just sounded like a dream, or visuals/symbols,” Turner says.

Although dreamy is a trite adjective, Turner says that the record, named after the Florida neighborhood he grew up in, is literally “a fantasy story of my dreams and things I’ve seen or hear in the woods while I walk.'"

Edited by bluethumb

• 2 months later...