Audio Technica AT-LP120 vs U-Turn Orbit Special

I’m thinking about selling my LP120 and getting a U-turn with the walnut plinth, acrylic platter, and Ortofon Red.

Since the LP120 is a really common table, I’m hoping someone on the board might have experience with both and can tell me if it’s worth the extra ~$200 to get the U-Turn.  

I’m really digging the solid wood plinth and heavy duty platter compared to the plastic/aluminum of the 120.  I currently have an ATN95E cartridge on the 120, so the Red should be a decent upgrade from that.

Things I might miss from the 120, 33/45 electric switching and the USB out.  There have been some LPs I couldn’t find digital files of so I ripped them, but that isn’t super common.

Any thoughts or opinions?

On 9/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, highfives said:

I’m thinking about selling my LP120 and getting a U-turn with the walnut plinth, acrylic platter, and Ortofon Red.

Since the LP120 is a really common table, I’m hoping someone on the board might have experience with both and can tell me if it’s worth the extra ~$200 to get the U-Turn.  

I’m really digging the solid wood plinth and heavy duty platter compared to the plastic/aluminum of the 120.  I currently have an ATN95E cartridge on the 120, so the Red should be a decent upgrade from that.

Things I might miss from the 120, 33/45 electric switching and the USB out.  There have been some LPs I couldn’t find digital files of so I ripped them, but that isn’t super common.

I would recomend you a rega planar 1 or a pro ject debut carbon, im in a situation that is very similar to yours, you should totally upgrade from the lp 120

On 9/2/2018 at 3:35 PM, highfives said:

I own both but I've barely used my LP-120 since I got it mostly as a 2nd table to record albums for future play testing while I simultaneously play test records on my Orbit. If you flat out want an Orbit, I say go for it but if you're expecting a big bump up and want to pay for a big bump up, maybe get some advice on some non-Orbit options. If you do want an Orbit, I recommend looking into a Grado Black 2 cartridge. I got one for my first generation Orbit and I had no hum or trouble getting it working and I like the less bright sound more than the AT cartridges. Not sure how it compares to the Red but still gonna throw that rec out there.

Edited by swb