PO - Metallica ...AJFA Deluxe Box Set

piky0032

2 hours ago, Ishtar said:

He could be like me, the only reason I'd get this would be to hear a new mix with bass. Already have an OG and don't care about all the live stuff or demos.

Mhh yeah... i don't really care about the demo stuff either + i don't have the money for the box set anyway haha. I just think it's funny that some people would spend 200 usd for a mix of the album that the band never had and will never have any interest in but they wouldn't spend the money on a box set that the band and their people carefully put together for the fans. Even though i have no intention of getting this either there is no doubt that these boxes are real labors of love and there is much to explore in them and they seem to be worth their money if you like the album and the band-era of release.

28 minutes ago, Vega said:

Mhh yeah... i don't really care about the demo stuff either + i don't have the money for the box set anyway haha. I just think it's funny that some people would spend 200 usd for a mix of the album that the band never had and will never have any interest in but they wouldn't spend the money on a box set that the band and their people carefully put together for the fans. Even though i have no intention of getting this either there is no doubt that these boxes are real labors of love and there is much to explore in them and they seem to be worth their money if you like the album and the band-era of release.

Nice try Lars,  but the fans want to hear that mix.

2 hours ago, Vega said:

Yeah...it's not that "the band" didn't have interest in that mix. Apparently James approved of it if that article is to be believed. Sounds like the basslessll mix was all Lars, and we all know Lars is a twat.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Satan said:

You know...in 1988 when that album blew my mind....

It sounds the same way it does now.

In 1993...when that album made me feel better about my life, helped me get out my agressions, helped me enjoy my liberal viewpoint, etc....it sounds the same way it does now.

When that record became my favorite Metallica album, it sounds like this new version of it.

I'm buying this and I'm going to be crazy thrilled.

I peeped that link where you can listen to the remastered version of Dyers Eve, and compared them both on spotify, but I actually prefer the current/old mixed version. The new one sounds real compressed to me, and the low end cranked a little. (Not so that you could hear the actual bass guitar though lol). 

Edited by AndrewNstuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Battra said:

I'm in heaven right now.

The Rough Mix has the bass guitar.

So...if you passed because of no remix with the bass.... sorry. :D

It's just on CD though, not vinyl from what I've gathered. I'm likely to just download CDs 4 and 5 to listen to rather than pay $150+ for what amounts to 2 CDs worth of material I'm interested in.

That's rad that the bass is in there though, and I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! :)

1 hour ago, Ishtar said:

It's just on CD though, not vinyl from what I've gathered. I'm likely to just download CDs 4 and 5 to listen to rather than pay $150+ for what amounts to 2 CDs worth of material I'm interested in.

That's rad that the bass is in there though, and I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! :)

That is correct. It is just on the one CD and not the vinyl copy.

I can live with that. The main reason I picked up this set was for the Seattle concert pressed onto vinyl. That's earmarked for Sunday Morning when I've got hours to myself...I'm going to blast the shit out of that show.

So far, I've listened to the rough mix/work in progress CD, Live At The Troubador (before Justice was released) and now I'm listening to Live at Long Beach Arena.

Even though there's a turntable behind me, I want the first time I spin these to be on my set at home.

I'm well past thrilled with my purchase and the fact that I got it for less than $75 in cash makes it triple better!

2 hours ago, Battra said:

That is correct. It is just on the one CD and not the vinyl copy.

I can live with that. The main reason I picked up this set was for the Seattle concert pressed onto vinyl. That's earmarked for Sunday Morning when I've got hours to myself...I'm going to blast the shit out of that show.

So far, I've listened to the rough mix/work in progress CD, Live At The Troubador (before Justice was released) and now I'm listening to Live at Long Beach Arena.

Even though there's a turntable behind me, I want the first time I spin these to be on my set at home.

I'm well past thrilled with my purchase and the fact that I got it for less than $75 in cash makes it triple better!

Yeah, that's a solid deal for sure, and if I liked recordings of live shows more/didn't have an OG I would have sprung for this for sure. I'll have to find the rough versions soon!

On 11/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, Ishtar said:

Yeah, that's a solid deal for sure, and if I liked recordings of live shows more/didn't have an OG I would have sprung for this for sure. I'll have to find the rough versions soon!

The rough version was almost like listening to another album.

There was quite a bit that was edited out later...interesting stuff for sure. Would love a vinyl pressing of it, but meh.

Now, had I an OG version, I would've sold it to finance this one just because of that Seattle Show...I love love love that show.

I ended up getting a chance to spin it on Saturday evening...which is better because I could drink all the beers while hittin' it! As James said at that show..."it's beer drinkin' weather..."

That Triple LP...it's wow....it's also interesting how my memory of it had changed the timbre of loads of it...

26 minutes ago, Battra said:

The rough version was almost like listening to another album.

There was quite a bit that was edited out later...interesting stuff for sure. Would love a vinyl pressing of it, but meh.

Now, had I an OG version, I would've sold it to finance this one just because of that Seattle Show...I love love love that show.

I ended up getting a chance to spin it on Saturday evening...which is better because I could drink all the beers while hittin' it! As James said at that show..."it's beer drinkin' weather..."

That Triple LP...it's wow....it's also interesting how my memory of it had changed the timbre of loads of it...

At some point I may have to listen to that live show. I managed to grab myself discs 4 and 5 last night, but haven't gotten a chance to listen to the rough mix yet. Pretty excited though