PO Now: Sufjan Stevens - Songs for Christmas (5xLP box set)

1 hour ago, itsgoodtobefree said:

The eternal question: does AK charge on order (when I'm broke) or when it ships (conceivably when I have money in November)?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jmpatrick said:

Is anyone else here having a hard time getting a full set of mint discs?  I've been through 3 sets now from Amazon and all 3 have bad disc threes.  Scuffs, scratches, etc.

My disc 3 is also badly scratched. I emailed AK about it a few days ago and haven't heard back. I wonder if they're going to have to do a mass replacement like they did for Vol. 7 of the other set.

The word from AKR:

Hi everyone - we pressed this through IRP in Jersey. Here's what happened. We had some major issues with hole sizes on Avalanche, so IRP started manually hole punching. Good idea, except that they didn't always blow away the shavings from the punches. In some cases this causes the shavings to fall into the jackets, which can on occasion scratch the record upon removal.

On the 20 total units I QC-ed, only 2 records (out of 100 total records) had this issue, so it's not common. And otherwise this is a fantastic sounding release. 

But if you have any issues out there, we'll always stand behind our vinyl as always. So feel free to email us and we'll send out a replacement disc. --John at AKR

I worked on this vinyl release. Sufjan originally wanted to update all the artwork, but we ended up going with the original instead. Here's a little look into what could have been for anybody who's curious: https://dribbble.com/shots/5543374-Sufjan-Stevens-Presents-Songs-For-Christmas-Vol-I-V

6 minutes ago, FactoryRecords said:

I worked on this vinyl release. Sufjan originally wanted to update all the artwork, but we ended up going with the original instead. Here's a little look into what could have been for anybody who's curious: https://dribbble.com/shots/5543374-Sufjan-Stevens-Presents-Songs-For-Christmas-Vol-I-V

Good stuff. What other releases have you worked on?

1 hour ago, ejc625 said:

Good stuff. What other releases have you worked on?

I also worked on the limited edition CD-R version of Sufjan's "Greatest Gift" last year: 

We did 50 custom CD-Rs that were subsequently raffled off to fans.

I also work for Bayonet Records, so I helped with the last Beach Fossils release (Somersault), the RSD Mac DeMarco & Shamir 7-inch, and most of the other LPs we've put out over the past few years in different capacities. 

Edited by FactoryRecords

1 hour ago, FactoryRecords said:

That looks beautiful. Maybe this can be used for a second run at some point?

16 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

How scuffed up are people's discs that are requesting replacements?  I checked all of mine and they each have a little bit of visible scuffing on them but didn't seem to noticeably affect playback.  

All but Volume III were mint.  Mine wasn't scuffed, it was scratched.