seeking feedback on IKEA's Kallax wall anchor hardware for vinyl storage

nacho220

I am hoping to get some feedback on the IKEA Kallax 5x5 unit and the wall anchor hardware. I have two 4x2 units filled up with my records but I recently aquired a 5x5 unit and would like to move my records into that. The bottom molding doesn't allow the 5x5 unit to sit flush with the wall and I was unsure about using the wall anchor hardware to secure it to the wall since essentially I'd be pushing the top portion against the wall because it isn't sitting flush. I'd feel better about using the wall anchor hardware but if it isn't advisable the way its positioned then I hope I can get some feedback with some other ideas or options.

Additionally, the wall the 5x5 is up against is the wall I'd like for it to be on (all the walls have the bottom molding so I'd run into the above situation on any wall)... but it is not an outside wall and is shared with the room next to it. So in the other room, on the other side of the wall is a filled 1500 capacity CD shelf. I am thinking about weight limits for construction and weight distribution if I were to keep the 5x5 unit on the other side of the wall with the CD shelf. Does anybody know what kind of weight limits there are for second floor construction? I did do some searching online and I came up with some information about 240lbs per square foot or something like that. Not sure how accurate that is or if there is anything else I should consider. Also not sure what the ultimate weight would be with a full 5x5 Kallax / 1500 CD shelf against either side of a wall.

I'd like to post some pictures  if that helps with any discussion on this topic. It seems as though my Dropbox links to the pictures will not take when I click the "insert other media" button at the bottom of the post here. Thanks so much in advance!

I have several 5x5 and I would highly suggest going to the hardware store and cross bracing the unit. A simple wooden brace at a 45 degree angle forming an x on the back would make that unit very sturdy. L brace it at the top.. once you fill it, it will take a lot to tip unless  a kid climbs on it. Just a tip....

Edited by bigdz68

What I have done, is use the Expedit 4x4s, but then when I have filled them up, put an Expedit 2x4 across the top horizontally.

You may be storing less records this way, but there is extra wood around two units, instead of just one “big” unit with less wood “bracing” your collection of records.

I have been “warned” that using the 2x4’s horizontally is “risky” as the unit is meant to be used “vertically, but so far and several years later, they are still standing up against my walls.

Good Luck. :)

On 9/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, nacho220 said:

The bottom molding doesn't allow the 5x5 unit to sit flush with the wall and I was unsure about using the wall anchor hardware to secure it to the wall since essentially I'd be pushing the top portion against the wall because it isn't sitting flush.

There's two different "depths" you can attach the wall brackets at... one is a flush mount and the other leaves a gap for baseboard.

I'd be very surprised if your house couldn't bear the weight loads.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, nacho220 said:

I am hoping to get some feedback on the IKEA Kallax 5x5 unit and the wall anchor hardware. I have two 4x2 units filled up with my records but I recently aquired a 5x5 unit and would like to move my records into that. The bottom molding doesn't allow the 5x5 unit to sit flush with the wall and I was unsure about using the wall anchor hardware to secure it to the wall since essentially I'd be pushing the top portion against the wall because it isn't sitting flush. I'd feel better about using the wall anchor hardware but if it isn't advisable the way its positioned then I hope I can get some feedback with some other ideas or options.

Additionally, the wall the 5x5 is up against is the wall I'd like for it to be on (all the walls have the bottom molding so I'd run into the above situation on any wall)... but it is not an outside wall and is shared with the room next to it. So in the other room, on the other side of the wall is a filled 1500 capacity CD shelf. I am thinking about weight limits for construction and weight distribution if I were to keep the 5x5 unit on the other side of the wall with the CD shelf. Does anybody know what kind of weight limits there are for second floor construction? I did do some searching online and I came up with some information about 240lbs per square foot or something like that. Not sure how accurate that is or if there is anything else I should consider. Also not sure what the ultimate weight would be with a full 5x5 Kallax / 1500 CD shelf against either side of a wall.

I'd like to post some pictures  if that helps with any discussion on this topic. It seems as though my Dropbox links to the pictures will not take when I click the "insert other media" button at the bottom of the post here. Thanks so much in advance!

Buy a thin panel of wood, cut to size, and nail into the back of the shelf. Get metal L brackets and screw into corners of shelf. Your 5x5 will be incredible solid now. I did this with a 2x4 and it's so sturdy now.

I would not recommend filling a 5x5 and keeping it on the second floor. I think building codes are only 40lbs per square foot. Assumming each square is 50lbs you are looking at 1250 lbs over a 6 ft span. If,you do put it on the second floor, run the shelf against a load bearing wall and keep it perpendicular to the floor joists.

^

Once I tagged you Chuck for some reason I couldn't type anything anymore. Anyways, thanks for that. Just trying to get some honest feedback about what might be a simple question, but it's helpful to hear other ideas and other examples so I can see what works for me.

With that being said, thanks for all of the great feedback on this from everyone. I did speak with a contractor who I saw at a family event and he confirmed the load bearing wall is the best option for second floor placement like I am looking for. Unfortunately, the second floor is my only option at this point and for the foreseeable future. That's why I want to make sure I get it right since it will be there for an extended period of time.

Feel free to keep the discussion going if anyone has any additional feedback. In the next few weeks I'll be working on getting it secured and I'll post some pics in case it will help anyone else that comes across this thread with similar questions.