PO: SMASHING PUMPKINS "Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol 1: No Past No Future No Sun LP

dreamover

9 hours ago, VinylMario said:

Sweet! I know playability sucks. That's why you buy the other variants as well. It's just a cool factor...

Btw gold is finally sold out

Yeah it probably does. I played the black version last night and it sounded awesome. Gonna just hold onto the glow. Debating if I want to pick up the violet version as well. Listened once and I would say I really like 3 or 4 of the songs. Hope after a few more listens the rest will grow on me. Grew up a huge pumpkins fan. I know nothing will be like their 90's output  but I will always have a soft spot for them. 

13 hours ago, highfives said:

Box set showed up.  It’s pretty much as big as MCIS and TAFH.  Kind of surprised that it’s so thick considering it has the LP and 3x 7”s loose in it.

I was wondering why the shipping box was making so much noise when i brought it in...

You're aware your community rep is at 666?

38 minutes ago, highfives said:

I opened up my LP today and was pleasantly surprised by the color.  The violet mockups made it look opaque, but it is actually transparent with warbles and swirl marks in it.

It looks rad.

Cool! Looks like some more popped back up in stock in the store. Gonna grab one. Thanks !

8 hours ago, highfives said:

I opened up my LP today and was pleasantly surprised by the color.  The violet mockups made it look opaque, but it is actually transparent with warbles and swirl marks in it.

It looks rad.

My box set is strange. LP is translucent violet and looks like the stock images. However all 3 7" singles are opaque purple. Anyone else have the same color disparity?

the violet press in the box sounds like ass. tried cleaning it and it's still a bit of a mess. muddy, compressed, a bit noisy. I know the Pumpkins are not the pinnacle of audiophile mastering but I expected this be a bit better. $50 was a lot of scratch for what's in this box.

Edited by tonyfranciosa

Without taking production or pressing issues into consideration, I will say that $50 for 8 songs is the real concern for me and the 3 singles are the same as what's on the LP.  It also struck me that the heaviest song (arguably) "Marchin' On" is a rinse and repeat formula of the song "F.O.L" from 10 years ago. 

On 11/18/2018 at 1:36 PM, tonyfranciosa said:

the violet press in the box sounds like ass. tried cleaning it and it's still a bit of a mess. muddy, compressed, a bit noisy. I know the Pumpkins are not the pinnacle of audiophile mastering but I expected this be a bit better. $50 was a lot of scratch for what's in this box.

My copy sounds very good. Maybe you got a bad copy? I'm experiencing very little surface noise on mine, and the sound is clear, certainly not muddy in any way. Some parts do sound compressed, but it doesn't sound like a pressing issue to me. My main quibble would be that it's somewhat bass-shy and I'd love to pull back the vocals a bit, but it sounds ten times better than the Spotify download I've listened to on the go.

Edited by bjorn