• 6-20
    • 20+
  2. 2. Why do you buy test presses?

• Because they're cool
    • Because I really really like the music
    • Gotta show my hipster status
    • I don't know
    • I got it for free

I have one TP. The label and record are awesome, and there was special hand-made packaging made for the TP. I also listen to it, because the TP is black, and the regular release is splatter.

I'm really only interested in test presses of my favorite records. So, if any of y'all have TPs for these, please to be PMing me:

Russian Circles - Geneva

Sumac - What One Becomes

Live - Secret Samadhi

I have played all my test presses as I play any album I own regardless of worth. I also don't spend any crazy amounts for them, all the tp's I have I got at great prices. Actually, when I think about it the majority of tp's I have I do not even own any other variant of them but imo unless you're just looking to flip what you have you should enjoy your collection and listen to it all with how much records are now. I finally got an Atmosphere tp not too long ago which was the artist I wanted one from the most.

2 hours ago, shenanigans said:

Unfortunately I think Ash is long beyond that point in his life and even Charley isn't making music now. :(

Sounds about right. Either way, there's never a shortage of good punk bands pumping out of Athens. I'd give a bunch of money to go back to a guFF show back in the day (2001-2002ish). I might even pick up a TEST PRESSING. Conversation comes full circle. Boom.

I've got a couple dozen test presses and I have played them all. I think about half are part of various collections and half are the only variant of that particular album in my collection. I've won a few in contests but I've paid for the majority. $50 is my limit for a test press and I think I've only paid that much once. 

Edited by monsterrod

I have a curiosity question, how do you guys acquire your test pressings? I know some labels will throw them on Ebay, and others are given away, but when you want a specific one for variant completion, how do you guys do that? Do you just e-mail someone (label, artist) hoping they have one they're willing to sell?

Just acquired my first one. I don't usually  take a lot of  interest in test pressings as they tend to sell out very quickly , but I spotted this one on ebay and I really love the album. The bidding was low so I gave it a shot and won.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GULP-All-Good-Wishes-VERY-LIMITED-TEST-PRESSING-1-of-8-SIGNED-HAND-NUMBERED-/192649292269?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Edited by Roandy55

I had a couple of Kevin Devine test presses that just kind of fell into my hands. I sold them when I stopped collecting variants. I never played them and that always kind of irritated me, I didn't really have a lot of pleasure in the collecting/owning something I don't use. I've passed up several other test presses in the past couple of years, they're definitely cool things to have if you really love an album or something but they just aren't really my thing. 

21 hours ago, slinch said:

Not shrink wrapped, but in a sealed poly bag with a tearaway edge. That's how Fat receives (or received back then) all tests, not sure if it's per their request or just standard procedure for whichever plant does them. I only found a pic of the Short Music one on my PC, but here's what it looks like:

9ow95zR.jpg

It's how RTI does their tests. SRC uses RTI as of recently for all their newer represses. 

Edited by Friendly1

I have all of the tests for releases I’ve done on my label.

I have a few others that either I bought a while ago or was given.

ive probably sold 50 tests in the last year getting rid of stuff.

i press 15 tests every release because I send tests to each band member and anyone else that did something on the record.

17 minutes ago, blessedxcursed said:

i press 15 tests every release because I send tests to each band member and anyone else that did something on the record.

I feel like this should be standard practice. "Oh, you played the kazoo on track two? TESTPRESS! You did the cover art? TESTPRESS!"

I have two tests.

One is the Hey Mercedes S/T EP that I bought for I think $30 a few months ago - Polyvinyl was doing a big unloading of tests and that one caught my eye because I've always loved the shit out of that EP.

The other is for my friends' band Weakened Friends and their new album (ahem) that's coming out next month on Don Giovanni. They gave me a copy and they actually wanted me to listen to it semi-critically since the turntable at their house is currently fucked up. The "price" I paid for it was I stood in line for 2 hours on a saturday morning for a very limited beer release at a brewery real close to me because they live a couple hours away.

Generally I'm not super interested in tests, but if I see one pop up for something I really, really, really like, I'll consider it if I don't think the price is out of hand.

Edited by tape

I have two - one that I won in a giveaway (Cults - Static) and one that I purchased (Deerhunter - Monomania). Generally I'm not super interested in them because yeah, they're pretty boring visually, but the Deerhunter one was only slightly more expensive than a retail copy and they're one of my favorite bands so I figured why not, it's something fun to add to collection, especially since I'm getting close to completing their stuff. 

I generally have my pressing plant do 10 test presses so I can keep a few, sell a couple, and give some to the band.  They are, first and foremost, to make sure things sound good.  But I also usually make alternate covers to go with them, usually something funny, because it's kind of a fun thing to do.  And I think it makes it all the better when I decide to sell off a couple of them because there's this different cover that people can enjoy.  Also, one of the pressing plants I was woring with would occasionally send me test presses on different colored vinyl, which was always a nice surprise.

My first test press purchase should be in the mail or hopefully arrived today. I definitely spent more money than I should have, but I could part with the regular retail copy at close to the price I paid, or potentially part with the TP itself if I do decide. It is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I do look forward to listenin’ to it just to see if there is any small difference in sound. It’s also supposed to come with some super cool hand-written lyrics and notes.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:27 PM, slinch said:

Not shrink wrapped, but in a sealed poly bag with a tearaway edge. That's how Fat receives (or received back then) all tests, not sure if it's per their request or just standard procedure for whichever plant does them. I only found a pic of the Short Music one on my PC, but here's what it looks like:

I wish every record came in those tear-tab poly bags. Love those things.

I have maybe one or two. Which considering how many records I own is a shockingly low number. That said, most of my collection is from years/decades ago when they really were test presses and a handful exited and were hard to get hold of. As people have already pointed out. These days they are A N Other variant to get collectors to part with their money. 

If I buy another, it will be for an album that means a lot, an awful lot to me...as it's obviously a low edition, and as a collector, that it what we are here for.

I sold one and really regret it now. So there's a lesson there kids. Never sell anything.