PO- Bloc Party- Silent Alarm reissue

CatsNJazz

5 hours ago, freverend said:

I regret it so much that I ordered again from Sound of Vinyl cause again the sleeve came with corner bumps due to shitty packaging

I've ordered from the US site but this is the first time I ordered from the UK site.  Didn't come yesterday so hopefully soon.  Now your post has me worried about packaging.  

33 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

...but less like a cult!

Hear, hear.

4 hours ago, Shpoonman said:

Hey VC virgin here. I got my copy last week. I'm still sort of surprised there hasn't been more excitement for this reissue.

Just skipping through this thread, man you guys are a lot less polite to each other than the VMP forum :unsure:

I wouldn’t sweat it, my dude.  Hostility only seems to flare up when our resident armchair psychiatrists get bored and feel the need to flex their pseudo-intellectual prowess.  It doesn’t seem to happen all that often, and the majority of us are grounded far enough into the real world that the forum is something we flock to for fun and discussions – not much else.  The bickering shouldn’t be interpreted as “””serious business””” but your mileage may vary.

I think this repress isn’t garnering as much hype because it’s not the first time the record has been made available again.  I’m in the camp that owns the prior press... otherwise I’d probably be visibly stoked to finally own this record.  Owning an OG triple LP would be awesome, but for the price difference and what’s being offered, I’m pretty content with the repress.  Glad to see more people are able to get their hands on it, too – I don’t think there’s any disputing that this is BP’s crowning gem of their discography.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Owning an OG triple LP would be awesome, but for the price difference and what’s being offered, I’m pretty content with the repress. 

I know there was a little debate about this already in the thread, and maybe the quality control was the issue, but I swear that when I was with Rez and we bought & listened to one of the OGs it sounded abysmal

33 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I know there was a little debate about this already in the thread, and maybe the quality control was the issue, but I swear that when I was with Rez and we bought & listened to one of the OGs it sounded abysmal

Was it used by chance?  Haven’t heard too many critiques of the OG but I also haven’t done extensive research on it.  Hope you guys didn’t break the bank on the copy you bought.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Was it used by chance?  Haven’t heard too many critiques of the OG but I also haven’t done extensive research on it.  Hope you guys didn’t break the bank on the copy you bought.

It was used yeah, I don't remember how much it cost but we returned it the next day since the Zia used policy allows for it.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Hear, hear.

I wouldn’t sweat it, my dude.  Hostility only seems to flare up when our resident armchair psychiatrists get bored and feel the need to flex their pseudo-intellectual prowess.  It doesn’t seem to happen all that often, and the majority of us are grounded far enough into the real world that the forum is something we flock to for fun and discussions – not much else.  The bickering shouldn’t be interpreted as “””serious business””” but your mileage may vary.

I think this repress isn’t garnering as much hype because it’s not the first time the record has been made available again.  I’m in the camp that owns the prior press... otherwise I’d probably be visibly stoked to finally own this record.  Owning an OG triple LP would be awesome, but for the price difference and what’s being offered, I’m pretty content with the repress.  Glad to see more people are able to get their hands on it, too – I don’t think there’s any disputing that this is BP’s crowning gem of their discography.

Nah, it's cool. This just happened to be the first thread I came upon and I was a little taken aback at the candour and general vibe going on. I'm sure it will balance up favorably on further reading and exploring.

It was a shame they didn't make more of the repress. I missed out before and much as I love the album, wasn't prepared to pay silly money for an OG.

2 hours ago, LeeKaye said:

I've got this on the original pic disc, but I've lost it somewhere, and can't remember how it sounded. It's still in the plastic I think, so 'not great' is probably the answer.

Is the plastic sleeve that really thick mylar or whatever, that causes gasing / clouding?  I recall that being a huge ordeal with the press of Glassjaw’s W&T.  Even without that, I didn’t realize it was a single LP picture disc.  That is rough.  I would be amazed if it sounded even serviceable.

19 minutes ago, Shpoonman said:

Nah, it's cool. This just happened to be the first thread I came upon and I was a little taken aback at the candour and general vibe going on. I'm sure it will balance up favorably on further reading and exploring.

It was a shame they didn't make more of the repress. I missed out before and much as I love the album, wasn't prepared to pay silly money for an OG.

Great thread to break the ice, I reckon.  Welcome aboard VC.

The 2015 repress?  I had to look up what I own and am sort of baffled that it’s been 3 years since I ordered mine.  There’s no real info on how big any of these presses are, but I agree that it’s a bummer they don’t just keep it print to avoid these smaller runs.  It’s a deserving record to mass produce.

58 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I didn't realize this was already sold out everywhere until I added it to Discogs and the lowest list price was $80.  I thought this would be the run that stays in print.  

It was actually up on Bull Moose until yesterday. I was still holding off because I'm trying to be good this month but looks like I missed out. Honestly not sure how much I'd revisit it at this point anyway.

Just now, pepperonigin said:

It was actually up on Bull Moose until yesterday. I was still holding off because I'm trying to be good this month but looks like I missed out. Honestly not sure how much I'd revisit it at this point anyway.

Still available some places. HMV says they should have more copies.
This UK seller has them for like $35ppd, not sure how much BM was.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloc-Party-Silent-Alarm-Reissued-180g-Vinyl-LP-Record-Download-/382566356535?oid=253925681008

1 minute ago, lethalenforcer said:

Still available some places. HMV says they should have more copies.
This UK seller has them for like $35ppd, not sure how much BM was.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloc-Party-Silent-Alarm-Reissued-180g-Vinyl-LP-Record-Download-/382566356535?oid=253925681008

Thanks, this is the third chance I'm getting with this release. Still going to roll the dice for a bit. I have a feeling these will pop up here and there. Vinyl-digital still has copies as well.

58 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I didn't realize this was already sold out everywhere until I added it to Discogs and the lowest list price was $80.  I thought this would be the run that stays in print.  

It's still in stock most places in the UK I think... I just bought it from amazon.co.uk. They also still had it at Banquet and Rough Trade... amazon was just much cheaper shipped to the US.

2 hours ago, Dr.Kibbe said:

It's still in stock most places in the UK I think... I just bought it from amazon.co.uk. They also still had it at Banquet and Rough Trade... amazon was just much cheaper shipped to the US.

Thanks! Just grabbed it for $24.22 USD shipped not including whatever international fee my CC gets.

23 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Is the plastic sleeve that really thick mylar or whatever, that causes gasing / clouding?  I recall that being a huge ordeal with the press of Glassjaw’s W&T.  Even without that, I didn’t realize it was a single LP picture disc.  That is rough.  I would be amazed if it sounded even serviceable.

Yep, single LP. Can't remember much more than it not being great (but that is a given). It is now so long ago and I have so many records stashed in storage/unmarked boxes that it's tricky to locate. But put it this way, I am in no rush to listen again.