PO NOW: MONO - Nowhere Now Here (out 1/25/19)

kisol

Yeah, this is quite solid.  Has standout moments on first listen which is not something I’ve associated with a Mono record in quite some time.  I very much agree that the electronics are barely there and tastefully done – I quite prefer that approach than a lot of the bands who go full retro synth when they decide it’s time to experiment with electronic sounds.  The vocals on Breathe don’t sit well with me and there are a few parts of the album that seemed fairly forgettable, but the overwhelming majority of it is really nice.  Definitely ordering.

• 2 weeks later...

This album is fucking great.  Mono can't miss as long as there are drums (I'm looking at you, For My Parents).

The vocals on Breathe are...  interesting.  I'm giving her a pass because she's stepping out and it's new and that's cool.  The end is great and sounds so much like Land Between Tides which I personally love, so I'm good. 

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This album is fucking great.  Mono can't miss as long as there are drums (I'm looking at you, For My Parents).

The vocals on Breathe are...  interesting.  I'm giving her a pass because she's stepping out and it's new and that's cool.  The end is great and sounds so much like Land Between Tides which I personally love, so I'm good. 

I’m not smitten about the vocal inclusion either so I’m glad they weren’t sprinkled throughout the whole record.  Sort of hope that doesn’t become a staple of future records... but if they’re as consistent as this one, I’ll gladly deal with it.

16 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’m not smitten about the vocal inclusion either so I’m glad they weren’t sprinkled throughout the whole record.  Sort of hope that doesn’t become a staple of future records... but if they’re as consistent as this one, I’ll gladly deal with it.

I just went back to the album again this morning and the vocals were a bit more endearing - i think over time we'll all get used to them and come to like it; there's just one word she pronounces oddly that doesn't quite jive, and it's likely just because of the Japanese accent, it just sounds forced when she says "The wind".  Everything else is great, nice and airy and sits really well with the music. 

Even now on this 2nd listen today, I'm appreciating it more.  I think once we all get used to and more familiar with how she sounds, we'll come to really dig it.  I'm already digging it more. 

Also, those electronic flourishes at the ends of some of the songs are fucking choice.  I love it.  Just some extra coloring around the edges.  And man, what a mean song the title track is!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 7:29 PM, gooner67 said:

Pelagic records have told me after order the splatter variant that they did not receive the quantities as first thought and will not be able to have that variant. Trying to palm of white/black smoke but not having it.

Will settle for purple smoke edition though.

Weird, I got a shipping confirmation email this morning for both the splatter and colour-in-colour variants. Smoke one still seems to be available on their site though.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, gooner67 said:

Pelagic records have told me after order the splatter variant that they did not receive the quantities as first thought and will not be able to have that variant. Trying to palm of white/black smoke but not having it.

Will settle for purple smoke edition though.

He’s NOT having it, guys.

How entitled can you come off in one paragraph? Good luck copping that attitude with Pelagic. I'm definitely sure they aren't trying to "palm" anything off on you, and I'm pretty sure they're not even trying to "pawn" the other variant off on you, sounds to me like they're trying to fulfill your order in an appropriate manner given the unfortunate circumstances.

Get a refund if the variant they have doesn't look good enough displayed on your shelf. I'd bet money the music on the record is the same though, if you didn't know the actual point is to listen to these colorful frisbees.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

Got my copy the other day. This album is great, it sounds huge and "sorrow" is probably my favorite song so far.

Also I love the packaging on this record, though like the SUMAC love in shadow 2xlp it won't fit in outer sleeves. 

I really hope I can go see them live one day but bands really overlook Florida so often.

2 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Got my copy the other day. This album is great, it sounds huge and "sorrow" is probably my favorite song so far.

Also I love the packaging on this record, though like the SUMAC love in shadow 2xlp it won't fit in outer sleeves. 

I really hope I can go see them live one day but bands really overlook Florida so often.

Sumac and Mono?  My dude.  Sorrow is killer, absolutely.  Great tastes all around.

But of a shame Mono won’t touch Florida.  I still haven’t seen them but I’ve heard phenomenal things about their live show.  They’ll be in SF on this upcoming tour and I’d love to finally make it happen.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Sumac and Mono?  My dude.  Sorrow is killer, absolutely.  Great tastes all around.

But of a shame Mono won’t touch Florida.  I still haven’t seen them but I’ve heard phenomenal things about their live show.  They’ll be in SF on this upcoming tour and I’d love to finally make it happen.

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, mrewest said:

So I’ve hardly spent any time listening to this band but dove in to this album earlier.  Yep, it’s killer.  And I want to echo the sentiments of “Sorrow”.  Those electronic elements work so well in this song.  Damn.

I saw your name as the last post on this thread and thought we were going to have our little contrarian dance again. :P  Really cool that you’re digging it.  As a whole I don’t feel like Mono appeals to your brand of post-rock, from what I’ve gathered, but I bet they have a few albums in their discography you’d enjoy if this new one resonated with you.

5 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

any idea why they tend to skip FL? MONO is so known for its relentless touring schedule and have been to many smaller cities in Europe...they even played in India last fall.

1 hour ago, noeling said:

any idea why they tend to skip FL? MONO is so known for its relentless touring schedule and have been to many smaller cities in Europe...they even played in India last fall.

No idea, a cursory Google search shows they last played here in 2012, so literally a gorillion years ago.

Though it could be worse, growing up in Ft. Lauderdale shows were very scarce, and almost no one played in Miami, only local bands. Though I did see poison the well back in 2007 or so and that was great.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I saw your name as the last post on this thread and thought we were going to have our little contrarian dance again. :P  Really cool that you’re digging it.  As a whole I don’t feel like Mono appeals to your brand of post-rock, from what I’ve gathered, but I bet they have a few albums in their discography you’d enjoy if this new one resonated with you.

Haha I completely understand why you would say that.  The band I thought of when listening to this album was Silent Whale, who I can’t say I dislike but their whole grandiose balls to the wall approach about 90% of the time gets overwhelming eventually & I start looking at the clock. This album was spaced apart perfectly as to not overstay its welcome at any point.

I suppose if you (or anyone) wants to give me an “order” of what to check out I’ll gladly put that on my to-do list.

One Step More is pretty massive and feels a lot more guitar heavy.  If you dig a more orchestral approach, a lot of people consider Hymn to the Immortal Wind to be among their best albums.  You Are There is somewhere between the 2 and has some killer cuts.  And like fish said, Walking Cloud is worth checking out if any of the above 3 do anything for you.