PO NOW: MONO - Nowhere Now Here (out 1/25/19)

kisol

On 1/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, mrewest said:

Haha I completely understand why you would say that.  The band I thought of when listening to this album was Silent Whale, who I can’t say I dislike but their whole grandiose balls to the wall approach about 90% of the time gets overwhelming eventually & I start looking at the clock. This album was spaced apart perfectly as to not overstay its welcome at any point.

I suppose if you (or anyone) wants to give me an “order” of what to check out I’ll gladly put that on my to-do list.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:48 PM, omik11303 said:

FWIW I would highly recommend One Step More and You Die.

A)  Silent Whale is amazing and don't you dare say anything about about them.  I don't even care if the entire band is a cover of "You Are There" XD XD XD

B ) One Step More is my favorite Mono album without question.  It does everything.  It's beautiful, and it's fucking heavy.  Flawless. 

C) All of their records are remarkably consistent, they just vary a bit.  I find Walking Cloud and For My Parents to be my least favorite because they're more sparse and pastoral in a way...   For My Parents is like the height of their orchestral stuff.  It only has one song I really like (which is Dream Odyssey and it absolutely rules).

D) Under The Pipal Tree is awesome but it's like a completely different band.  They didn't become the Mono of today until One Step More.  "Kidnapper Bell" though dude..... 

Hymn is probably their biggest record and it's very good, but Requiem For Hell is the album that converted me.  It's rather compact, and gives you a great look at their style.  This new album is killer too.  As are Rays of Darkness and the Last Dawn.  There's a lot.  It will take time haha

I fucking love Mono and I used to hate them lol.  They just take a while to "get" I guess.

19 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

A)  Silent Whale is amazing and don't you dare say anything about about them.  I don't even care if the entire band is a cover of "You Are There" XD XD XD

B ) One Step More is my favorite Mono album without question.  It does everything.  It's beautiful, and it's fucking heavy.  Flawless. 

C) All of their records are remarkably consistent, they just vary a bit.  I find Walking Cloud and For My Parents to be my least favorite because they're more sparse and pastoral in a way...   For My Parents is like the height of their orchestral stuff.  It only has one song I really like (which is Dream Odyssey and it absolutely rules).

D) Under The Pipal Tree is awesome but it's like a completely different band.  They didn't become the Mono of today until One Step More.  "Kidnapper Bell" though dude..... 

Hymn is probably their biggest record and it's very good, but Requiem For Hell is the album that converted me.  It's rather compact, and gives you a great look at their style.  This new album is killer too.  As are Rays of Darkness and the Last Dawn.  There's a lot.  It will take time haha

I fucking love Mono and I used to hate them lol.  They just take a while to "get" I guess.

Agree with you on for my parents being one of the weaker Mono albums. "Legend" gives me goosebumps every time I hear it though.

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, voltagedrop said:

10th anniversary edition of Hymn To The Immortal Wind announced: https://www.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr348

North American tour starts in a couple days, stoked to see them in Toronto!

already have the newbury comics exclusive in translucent blue and green (/500), but this is very tempting.

i'm seeing them next week as well! and i was really hoping to see taka's behind the shadow drops in America but seems he's not touring here, bar a one-off show in L.A.

Not my favorite Mono album, so I'm not sure i need a re-master.  Will have to hear it first. 

Oddly though, the black variant is sold out already......   that's weird.  2,000 copies gone in a day?  The limited variant is still in stock though.  I'm not interested enough to pay $5 for colored stuff.  CD sold out already too....  this is weird. 

Can't wait to see them next week though!

Edited by Gumbo72203

11 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Not my favorite Mono album, so I'm not sure i need a re-master.  Will have to hear it first. 

Oddly though, the black variant is sold out already......   that's weird.  2,000 copies gone in a day?  The limited variant is still in stock though.  I'm not interested enough to pay $5 for colored stuff.  CD sold out already too....  this is weird. 

Can't wait to see them next week though!

that's weird, i don't think they sold out, and the gold still has over 800 copies available. 

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm sure they just haven't activated the cd and black lp. From what I recall everything since "For My Parents" has stuck around for months if not longer before they are sold out. Much different than the old days when they'd limit something to 500 and it'd be gone in a couple hours.

Edited by fish

2 minutes ago, fish said:

I'm sure they just haven't activated the cd and black lp. From what I recall everything since "For My Parents" has stuck around for months if not longer before they are sold out. Much different than the old days when they'd limit something to 500 and it'd be gone in a couple hours.

i checked the other day, they still have over 900/1000 of mogwai's every country's sun available. almost 2 years after release.

There is also at least one retail variant of the Hymn reissue. "Pearlescent Blue-Green" /1,000 is listed at Bullmoose. "Metallic Ocean Blue & Green" /1000 is listed at Deep Discount. The listings have the same UPC and the descriptions are similar enough that they may be the same, but they use the same canned promotional description that is identical in every other detail but the color of the vinyl.

6 hours ago, aphasias said:

There is also at least one retail variant of the Hymn reissue. "Pearlescent Blue-Green" /1,000 is listed at Bullmoose. "Metallic Ocean Blue & Green" /1000 is listed at Deep Discount. The listings have the same UPC and the descriptions are similar enough that they may be the same, but they use the same canned promotional description that is identical in every other detail but the color of the vinyl.

This will be the 3rd blue/green version of this album now (original press and the Newbury exclusive). Even if it sounds way better I'll be impressed if they can sell another 4k copies of this after all these years. But the packaging sure does looks nice.