Sign in to follow this  
kisol

PO NOW: MONO - Nowhere Now Here (out 1/25/19)

Yeah, this is quite solid.  Has standout moments on first listen which is not something I’ve associated with a Mono record in quite some time.  I very much agree that the electronics are barely there and tastefully done – I quite prefer that approach than a lot of the bands who go full retro synth when they decide it’s time to experiment with electronic sounds.  The vocals on Breathe don’t sit well with me and there are a few parts of the album that seemed fairly forgettable, but the overwhelming majority of it is really nice.  Definitely ordering.

This album is fucking great.  Mono can't miss as long as there are drums (I'm looking at you, For My Parents).

The vocals on Breathe are...  interesting.  I'm giving her a pass because she's stepping out and it's new and that's cool.  The end is great and sounds so much like Land Between Tides which I personally love, so I'm good. 

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This album is fucking great.  Mono can't miss as long as there are drums (I'm looking at you, For My Parents).

The vocals on Breathe are...  interesting.  I'm giving her a pass because she's stepping out and it's new and that's cool.  The end is great and sounds so much like Land Between Tides which I personally love, so I'm good. 

I’m not smitten about the vocal inclusion either so I’m glad they weren’t sprinkled throughout the whole record.  Sort of hope that doesn’t become a staple of future records... but if they’re as consistent as this one, I’ll gladly deal with it.

16 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’m not smitten about the vocal inclusion either so I’m glad they weren’t sprinkled throughout the whole record.  Sort of hope that doesn’t become a staple of future records... but if they’re as consistent as this one, I’ll gladly deal with it.

I just went back to the album again this morning and the vocals were a bit more endearing - i think over time we'll all get used to them and come to like it; there's just one word she pronounces oddly that doesn't quite jive, and it's likely just because of the Japanese accent, it just sounds forced when she says "The wind".  Everything else is great, nice and airy and sits really well with the music. 

Even now on this 2nd listen today, I'm appreciating it more.  I think once we all get used to and more familiar with how she sounds, we'll come to really dig it.  I'm already digging it more. 

Also, those electronic flourishes at the ends of some of the songs are fucking choice.  I love it.  Just some extra coloring around the edges.  And man, what a mean song the title track is!