I don't like music anymore

lgfuad

Everything I used to like is meh to me now. I need new music but any new music I listen to is crap. It's depressing. I am clinically depressed and I put it down to that but I'd really like to like music again. Get some feeling when listening to it. I'm not sure what I'm expecting anyone to do or suggest. Maybe I need a list of new music to check out. My favourite bands used to be/are Motion City Soundtrack, Bayside, Propagandhi, NOFX, Rise Against, Bane, Sinking Ships, The Saddest Landscape, La Dispute, Converge, Anti-Flag, Antillectual, Every Time I Die, Fugazi, Slint, Cap N Jazz, Boysetsfire, Bad Religion,  Authority Zero, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Strapping Young Lad, Off With Their Heads, Raised Fist, Mogwai and a wee bit of Chvrches and Lady Gaga.

Does anyone want to recommend a pile of bands for me? There has to be something out there that I like but I'm pretty out of the loop these days. I've heard very little music from the last 3 years. Maybe even 5 years. I'd like to buy some new vinyl and enjoy it. I know some of you might think what's the point of suggestions if I don't like anything. Well I just thought it was worth a try. I have a craving for something new (to me) and fresh. I don't care what genre. Sorry if this is a stupid post but it might help. Thanks.

You probably need to explore new genres. Everything up there is pretty much, punk, pop-punk, & rock. Be open to trying some Rap, Hip-Hop,Folk, Post-Rock, Shoegaze, Electronic, EDM, or instrumental music

My guess is you've gotten older (like all of us here) and your tastes are just maturing past NOFX

Edited by Tommy

During the worst depression period of my life, I was watching Joey Votto in his prime batting in a game during a playoff hunt for my Cincinnati Reds and I remember watching thinking "This means zero to me. A few months ago, this would be fun and exciting and I'd enjoy this but I am not getting anything from this at all." I think people's tastes do cement and also change, which can make finding new music or enjoying old music tough, but I do think it's worth acknowledging how much our enjoyment of dumb/important stuff like music, art, sports, friends, etc. can be affected by our brain chemistry. 

But to answer your question, I might recommend maybe going back in time and looking up bands you've always heard of but never dove into. There might be something more grounding about that then auditioning new bands that have no history or cultural context. Totally my own tastes being projected here but try finding the non-awful 80s rock bands that you might have missed. We think we know them based off the singles but Talking Heads and R.E.M. have a ton of delightful songs that go beyond the big hits. There were a ton of less popular power pop bands in the 80s that are worth discovering (try looking up Numero's 80s pop rock comps). There was also a ton of cool pre-new wave electronic stuff all over the world in the 80s that never got well known (Medical Records has reissued a bunch of cool stuff from that era). Get lost in the catalogue of a prolific artist like MF Doom/DOOM/King Geedorah/etc. or Phil Elvrum/Mount Eerie/Microphones and read up on Wikipedia about all their different projects and pseudonyms.

I hope some of this helps a tiny bit.

Edited by swb

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You probably need to explore new genres. Everything up there is pretty much, punk, pop-punk, & rock. Be open to trying some Rap, Hip-Hop,Folk, Post-Rock, Shoegaze, Electronic, EDM, or instrumental music

My guess is you've gotten older (like all of us here) and your tastes are just maturing past NOFX

It's funny you should say that. I've just recently got into OSTs, but I've found I'm pretty fussy. I searched for ages looking for some ambient/electronic/synthy instrumental music but didn't really find anything that scratched that itch. I can only find stuff like that in soundtracks (The Knick, Mr Robot, Solaris, that kinda thing). Thanks for your reply.

4 minutes ago, swb said:

During the worst depression period of my life, I was watching Joey Votto in his prime batting in a game during a playoff hunt for my Cincinnati Reds and I remember watching thinking "This means zero to me. A few months ago, this would be fun and exciting and I'd enjoy this but I am not getting anything from this at all." I think people's tastes do cement and also change, which can make finding new music or enjoying old music tough, but I do think it's worth acknowledging how much our enjoyment of dumb/important stuff like music, art, sports, friends, etc. can be affected by our brain chemistry. 

But to answer your question, I might recommend maybe going back in time and looking up bands you've always heard of but never dove into. There might be something more grounding about that then auditioning new bands that have no history or cultural context. Totally my own tastes being projected here but try finding the non-awful 80s rock bands that you might have missed. We think we know them based off the singles but Talking Heads and R.E.M. have a ton of delightful songs that go beyond the big hits. There were a ton of less popular power pop bands in the 80s that are worth discovering (try looking up Numero's 80s pop rock comps). There was also a ton of cool pre-new wave electronic stuff all over the world in the 80s that never got well known (Medical Records has reissued a bunch of cool stuff from that era). Get lost in the catalogue of a prolific artist like MF Doom/DOOM/King Geedorah/etc. or Phil Elvrum/Mount Eerie/Microphones and read up on Wikipedia about all their different projects and pseudonyms.

Yeah I can really relate to things not meaning anything. I hadn't thought of trying 80s stuff. I'll give that a try. I'm sure there's loads of stuff I'm missing out on there tbh and I'm interested in electronic music too. Thanks for the pointers on where to start. I'll get listening. Thank you.

2 hours ago, lgfuad said:

It's funny you should say that. I've just recently got into OSTs, but I've found I'm pretty fussy. I searched for ages looking for some ambient/electronic/synthy instrumental music but didn't really find anything that scratched that itch. I can only find stuff like that in soundtracks (The Knick, Mr Robot, Solaris, that kinda thing). Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I can really relate to things not meaning anything. I hadn't thought of trying 80s stuff. I'll give that a try. I'm sure there's loads of stuff I'm missing out on there tbh and I'm interested in electronic music too. Thanks for the pointers on where to start. I'll get listening. Thank you.

@swb brings up a great point. Digging into those artists may actually suit you better because those albums have been battle tested. Dig into (1991) My bloody Valentine - Loveless or hell the entire Beatles catalog post Rubber Soul B)

A lot of music I find from reading/watching interviews of my favorite artists and seeing what they like

1 hour ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Start listening to latin music.  I got really bored by metal lately because it's most of what I've listened to for years and years.  My buddy who owns Human Head is really into that style of music and has turned me on to some really great stuff.  Check out stuff by the following artists, maybe something will click.

Jungle Fire

Ocho

Tim Maia

Orchestra Soledad

Fruko

Orquesta Akonan

Nico Gomez and His Afro Percussion

Those are some artists I've really been jamming on lately.  Maybe you'll dig it, maybe you'll think it sucks.  Regardless, it's something new to feed your ears and may open a new world for you as it has for me.

Just started exploring some Latin, African, and other non western pop styles.  There’s so much to discover. I’m really digging some different African stuff across various genres, regions, styles, and eras - Fela Kuti, Basa Basa, Amadou and Mariam, Toumani Diabate, Ata Kak, and my fave, William Onyeabor. Picked up the Light in the Attic Erasmo Carlos reissues, plus a bunch of awesome other stuff from across the world. I love that there’s so much out there to explore. 

4 hours ago, swb said:

This.  I think the rolling stone list of the top 500 albums would be a good place to go.  With no idea what you've heard, Its a fair list and a good place to mine for some new shit.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-156826/outkast-aquemini-2-155441/ 

and id argue the entire Beatles catalog is worth exploring, but they did hit their stride with rubber soul and after

I was pretty down a little while back and Shane from Napalm Death posted about the band Cardiacs. I checked them out and was blown away... their music can be manic and all over the place and also beautiful and uplifting. Often the songs are epic nine minute crescendos like the one below and those cheer me up the most. They are eclectic and definitely not for everyone but they certainly have made me happier since I discovered them. Sadly the frontman had a massive heart attack and stroke leaving a My Bloody Valentine concert In 2008 so they aren't making music anymore but they have a big discography and there's a lot to discover if you're into it.

One thing I do when I get bored of my favorite bands, is I will google like Top 100 albums from the 50s, or 60s, or whatever.  And I've discovered tons of awesome music that way.  Everyone knows Elvis and Coltrane, but I'll bet there are some artists you've never heard.  Especially when you get into some of that 60s and 70s psych stuff.  I'll then put on one of those albums and read about that particular record on Wikipedia, or whatever, and it makes you appreciate the album more.  

Just wanna use this to say that there's a rapper performing next door right now and he's one of those "SoundCloud emo rappers" who cites like Fallout Boy as an influence next to Tupac. Drinks cough syrup and all that.

This type of stuff is my first real "Well, I guess that's just for the kids..." music experience. It's cool that these kids are doing their own "new thing" but I just can't get down with it.

23 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Just wanna use this to say that there's a rapper performing next door right now and he's one of those "SoundCloud emo rappers" who cites like Fallout Boy as an influence next to Tupac. Drinks cough syrup and all that.

This type of stuff is my first real "Well, I guess that's just for the kids..." music experience. It's cool that these kids are doing their own "new thing" but I just can't get down with it.

That and mumble rap. I’m not upset or think it sucks I just don’t get it. 

25 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

That and mumble rap. I’m not upset or think it sucks I just don’t get it. 

It's really the first time I've had to just throw my hands up and say "I don't get it!" I'd never talk shit on it because it's clearly not for me. Let the kids have their thing...but god damn, makes me feel old.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:17 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yachty was the first time I thought this too

On 9/30/2018 at 3:16 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

It's really the first time I've had to just throw my hands up and say "I don't get it!" I'd never talk shit on it because it's clearly not for me. Let the kids have their thing...but god damn, makes me feel old.

Totally. I often want to throw up my hands and be like "This music is unreasonable!" but then I remember listening to the whiniest, most annoying teenage kid bands like Rufio, the Starting Line, and Yellowcard in high school (and that I still like some of their songs). Outside of being some kind of abuser or racist or someone who harms folks, on just a music level, I feel like a band or rapper or artist would have to be really really really post-Reddit post-meme annoying for me to feel confident mocking them with all these pop punk skeletons in my own closet.