I don't like music anymore

lgfuad

Popular music nationally consumed is going on 70 years strong. As technology has evolved, more and more music is readily available. But also, music across the world. When I get disenchanted with modern music, I go back to the 50's-80's. 30 years in which music constantly changed over and over and over again, perhaps more than the thirty years since I've been alive.

Also, listen to soul:

Edited by somethingvinyl

Sorry for the lack of replies. I'm going through everything suggested. Haven't really found anything I love yet, though Microphones are not bad. I've also been going through a massive game soundtrack playlist on youtube - 74 full soundtracks. I've found a couple that I like. I've also discovered Jamie Lenman.

I used to listen to the Beatles a *lot* when I was a teenager. Worth revisiting. Thanks again everyone.

I still like tacos.

It's interesting – in a lot of these "there's no new music that interests me" threads, the OP tends to rattle off a handful of wildly popular bands from 1 or 2 genres.  I usually don't contribute to those topics, because rolling my eyes and writing something akin to "maybe broaden your horizons and stop listening to junk?" doesn't seem like a productive contribution.  However.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:21 AM, lgfuad said:

Motion City Soundtrack, Bayside, Propagandhi, NOFX, Rise Against, Bane, Sinking Ships, The Saddest Landscape, La Dispute, Converge, Anti-Flag, Antillectual, Every Time I Die, Fugazi, Slint, Cap N Jazz, Boysetsfire, Bad Religion,  Authority Zero, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Strapping Young Lad, Off With Their Heads, Raised Fist, Mogwai and a wee bit of Chvrches and Lady Gaga.

There are some great picks in here.  While it may be possible that you are in fact "outgrowing" certain genres [overly cheery pop-punk does nothing for me at my age], I think you could just as easily discover some more music and get into additional bands with the right exploration.  Of those groups listed above, are any clicking with you more than others.  (I definitely go kicks with certain artists and genres.)  I know you mentioned that OSTs have been treating you right – do you think you've got an itch for instrumental records these days?  Just trying to gauge a direction for suggestions since it's all pretty broad right now.

34 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It's interesting – in a lot of these "there's no new music that interests me" threads, the OP tends to rattle off a handful of wildly popular bands from 1 or 2 genres.  I usually don't contribute to those topics, because rolling my eyes and writing something akin to "maybe broaden your horizons and stop listening to junk?" doesn't seem like a productive contribution.  However.

There are some great picks in here.  While it may be possible that you are in fact "outgrowing" certain genres [overly cheery pop-punk does nothing for me at my age], I think you could just as easily discover some more music and get into additional bands with the right exploration.  Of those groups listed above, are any clicking with you more than others.  (I definitely go kicks with certain artists and genres.)  I know you mentioned that OSTs have been treating you right – do you think you've got an itch for instrumental records these days?  Just trying to gauge a direction for suggestions since it's all pretty broad right now.

Tbh nothing is really clicking. If I had to listen to something I'd maybe pick NIN or Chvrches. Maybe Frank Turner and like I said I've just discovered Jamie Lenman. Maybe Bane when I fancy something heavier. I'm liking the instrumental stuff as background music. It doesn't make me jump up and down but maybe that's asking too much. However it is pretty much all I've been listening to lately. I like ambient kinda synthy/electro stuff. Nothing too heavy and not orchestral.  I like Cliff Martinez for example.

Thank you for posting.

2 minutes ago, lgfuad said:

Tbh nothing is really clicking. If I had to listen to something I'd maybe pick NIN or Chvrches. Maybe Frank Turner and like I said I've just discovered Jamie Lenman. Maybe Bane when I fancy something heavier. I'm liking the instrumental stuff as background music. It doesn't make me jump up and down but maybe that's asking too much. However it is pretty much all I've been listening to lately. I like ambient kinda synthy/electro stuff. Nothing too heavy and not orchestral.  I like Cliff Martinez for example.

Thank you for posting.

Wait, is the goal to jump up and down?  Asking because there's an age-old joke / stereotype about post-rock fans and how we refuse to budge at shows, and only hang around with our arms crossed, making sure to stay completely stoic.  I have a good bit of energetic, "fun" instrumental music – math rock especially - that I use for my morning commute or to jam when I arrive at work and need to wake up.  None of it quite moves me to dance though.

Ambient is quite a broad spectrum, in my opinion – partly daunting to tackle, but also ripe with great stuff.  I love a good drone or ambient record that I can really zone out to.  I can throw some suggestions your way in a PM since I'm prone to rambling petty windingly about music and suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Wait, is the goal to jump up and down?  Asking because there's an age-old joke / stereotype about post-rock fans and how we refuse to budge at shows, and only hang around with our arms crossed, making sure to stay completely stoic.  I have a good bit of energetic, "fun" instrumental music – math rock especially - that I use for my morning commute or to jam when I arrive at work and need to wake up.  None of it quite moves me to dance though.

Ambient is quite a broad spectrum, in my opinion – partly daunting to tackle, but also ripe with great stuff.  I love a good drone or ambient record that I can really zone out to.  I can throw some suggestions your way in a PM since I'm prone to rambling petty windingly about music and suggestions.

Heh, I don't need to jump up and down :) I think I'm just missing feeling something. I say I "like" things but they're not really bringing much enjoyment, if that makes any sense. Recommendations would be great.  

1 hour ago, lgfuad said:

Heh, I don't need to jump up and down :) I think I'm just missing feeling something. I say I "like" things but they're not really bringing much enjoyment, if that makes any sense. Recommendations would be great.  

It 100% makes sense. I go through the same thing every once in a while and it just means I need to take a break and look at doing/listening to something else. Take a break, step back and go play videogames for a while, or take up hiking. Eventually either you'll start liking music again or you won't and either way it's fine. Sometimes you grow out of things, and sometimes that thing is your love of music. Sometimes you also just have peaks and valleys within your love of things.

2 hours ago, lgfuad said:

Thank you for posting.

Have you pillaged the Italians Do It Better catalogue? Johnny Jewel worked on the Drive score before Cliff Martinez was brought in and he has some really cool instrumental records (Windswept and Songs For Television have stuff that he wrote for the new season of Twin Peaks that was not used by David Lynch and Digital Rain is pretty dope too) and his band Chromatics should scratch a similar itch as Chvrches. Glass Candy, Symmetry, and Desire also have a lot of good expanded singles/EPs. They're not on Italians Do It Better but I bought Electric Youth's soundtrack for a shelved movie called Breathing from their shop a while back, so I always lump them in there, and I highly recommend it.

9 hours ago, lgfuad said:

Thank you for posting.

I was about to suggest Cliff Martinez :lol:

So, I was listening to Frank Turner and then I must have googled him or something because I came across Mongol Horde. I know I'm 4 years late but I think they're awesome! I love how the tempo changes, I love how it goes from soft-ish to loud and frantic. I love how the vocal style changes. I just love the songs. Are there any other bands like this? Typical I've found a band with just one album, and who knows if they'll make another.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:10 PM, Ishtar said:

It 100% makes sense. I go through the same thing every once in a while and it just means I need to take a break and look at doing/listening to something else. Take a break, step back and go play videogames for a while, or take up hiking. Eventually either you'll start liking music again or you won't and either way it's fine. Sometimes you grow out of things, and sometimes that thing is your love of music. Sometimes you also just have peaks and valleys within your love of things.

Thank you for understanding. It's hard to put into words. The problem with doing other things is that I've lost my interest in everything. It's just going through the motions. I thought I'd tackle music because while I don't get enjoyment from it anymore I still have this desire to find something I like, and I think I've finally done that with Mongol Horde. Now I wanna find more!

On 10/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, swb said:

Have you pillaged the Italians Do It Better catalogue? Johnny Jewel worked on the Drive score before Cliff Martinez was brought in and he has some really cool instrumental records (Windswept and Songs For Television have stuff that he wrote for the new season of Twin Peaks that was not used by David Lynch and Digital Rain is pretty dope too) and his band Chromatics should scratch a similar itch as Chvrches. Glass Candy, Symmetry, and Desire also have a lot of good expanded singles/EPs. They're not on Italians Do It Better but I bought Electric Youth's soundtrack for a shelved movie called Breathing from their shop a while back, so I always lump them in there, and I highly recommend it.

I'm gonna do that, thank you. I quite like the Drive soundtrack but it's not my favourite Martinez. Cheers.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, SeanPuffy said:

Maybe try exploring labels as well, I've found some real hidden gems this way. There's lots of great lesser known releases that you may have missed from labels like 4AD, Subpop, and even the 90s pop punk labels. Some of those catalogs are yuge.

Thank you, I'll do that. I was actually looking through the Lockjaw Records store yesterday and found a couple that weren't bad. Thanks for the suggestion :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, lgfuad said:

I've just discovered Jamie Lenman.

Great guy. Check out his old band Reuben if you haven't already, they only put out three albums but they are all stellar. Lenman n a lot of his chums were the bands I grew up on so I have a few other recommendations for hard hitting rock from the same UK scene. Also Mr Lenman has just announced a new live LP featuring an acoustic set performed at St Pancras Old Church.

As I see you've spotted Frank Turner's hardcore project Mongol Horde you may also be interested in his band from way back when featuring the same drummer called Million Dead. They're post-hardcore bliss, two albums, both great. The bassist went on to be part of Future Of The Left a rather more oddball heavy act made up of ex-noise rockers Mclusky. The drummer also had a sludge/noise/metal band called palehorse but those guys are insanely heavy in comparison and not walking the line of melodic and hardcore. Saw Mongol Horde earlier this year you may get a second album before too long.

There's a whole collection of related bands you may dig like Sucioperro (have Lenman featured on a few tracks but sadly mostly defunct now and no vinyl still 4 albums and a tonne of great EPs). You might also be interested in old school Biffy Clyro the new stuff is polished to pop rock standards that may make you turn your nose up initially but the first three albums Blackened Sky, Vertigo Of Bliss and Infinity Land are twisted and choc full of heavy moments. Sucioperro & Biffy Clyro front men have a bizarre side project called Marmaduke Duke as well although the third album seems like its never coming out. 

Edited by Stress On The Sky

15 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Great guy. Check out his old band Reuben if you haven't already, they only put out three albums but they are all stellar. Lenman n a lot of his chums were the bands I grew up on so I have a few other recommendations for hard hitting rock from the same UK scene. Also Mr Lenman has just announced a new live LP featuring an acoustic set performed at St Pancras Old Church.

As I see you've spotted Frank Turner's hardcore project Mongol Horde you may also be interested in his band from way back when featuring the same drummer called Million Dead. They're post-hardcore bliss, two albums, both great. The bassist went on to be part of Future Of The Left a rather more oddball heavy act made up of ex-noise rockers Mclusky. The drummer also had a sludge/noise/metal band called palehorse but those guys are insanely heavy in comparison and not walking the line of melodic and hardcore. Saw Mongol Horde earlier this year you may get a second album before too long.

There's a whole collection of related bands you may dig like Sucioperro (have Lenman featured on a few tracks but sadly mostly defunct now and no vinyl still 4 albums and a tonne of great EPs). You might also be interested in old school Biffy Clyro the new stuff is polished to pop rock standards that may make you turn your nose up initially but the first three albums Blackened Sky, Vertigo Of Bliss and Infinity Land are twisted and choc full of heavy moments. Sucioperro & Biffy Clyro front men have a bizarre side project called Marmaduke Duke as well although the third album seems like its never coming out. 

I know of Reuben from years back but I've never listened to them. I'll check them out.

I also know  Million Dead but never got into them. I'm actually old enough to have known his emo type band Kneejerk wayyyyyyy back in the day. They're a bit of an acquired taste but I love their song "Wire Wool". I think I've listened to Palehorse before too but I'll check them out again. I don't mind heavy stuff. I was reading about Mongol Horde and apparently their tour earlier this year was the first one they've done since the album? I'm not holding my breath for them to tour again but I would absolutely love to see them live. If they tour, I'll be there. They played King Tuts in Glasgow which has a capacity of about 450 I think. That would've been amazing. So gutted I was late in discovering them. Fingers crossed for a new album and a tour. Oh and Future of the Left I've again heard of but never listened to.

I know of Sucioperro and and Biffy Clyro but always assumed they were poppy rock bands so never checked them out as it's not really my thing. I'll do that now. I think I listened to Marmaduke Duke years ago but can't remember much about them. I'll also give them a spin.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, means a lot.

42 minutes ago, lgfuad said:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, means a lot.

You're more than welcome. I got a few kneejerk cds from back in the day too. When I saw the London leg of the Mongol Horde tour they did play a couple of new tunes so as soon as Frank has a break from his Billy Bragg routine we may get something new.

You're spot on as far as Biffy Clyro goes these days, since 2007 theyve been getting more commercial for sure. I can still stomach it but I've been a rabid fan for 16 odd years so I'm a little biased. Those first three albums though strike a great balance between melodic  and chaotic and are all probably in my top all time albums. I do miss Simon's screams.

If you wind up enjoying Palehorse but want more after you've gotten through their discography most of the band are now in an outfit called Remote Viewing who just dropped their album this year.

Also it goes without saying but I hope you feel better soon. I struggle off and on with depression myself n its a cruel mistress especially when it turns a passion into ashes.

2 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

You're more than welcome. I got a few kneejerk cds from back in the day too. When I saw the London leg of the Mongol Horde tour they did play a couple of new tunes so as soon as Frank has a break from his Billy Bragg routine we may get something new.

You're spot on as far as Biffy Clyro goes these days, since 2007 theyve been getting more commercial for sure. I can still stomach it but I've been a rabid fan for 16 odd years so I'm a little biased. Those first three albums though strike a great balance between melodic  and chaotic and are all probably in my top all time albums. I do miss Simon's screams.

If you wind up enjoying Palehorse but want more after you've gotten through their discography most of the band are now in an outfit called Remote Viewing who just dropped their album this year.

Also it goes without saying but I hope you feel better soon. I struggle off and on with depression myself n its a cruel mistress especially when it turns a passion into ashes.

Thanks man. I've been trying pretty hard recently listening to music and watching a few films to try and get my interest back but it's not been terribly successful. I just can't enjoy anything I used to love doing and it's hard. I hope you're doing ok.

New Mongol Horde songs sounds hopeful! I was worried this was going to just be a one-off album. It's been a while since they released it but I guess Frank has other priorities which is fair enough.

I'm actually quite keen to check out Biffy Clyro now. Had no idea they used to be heavier.

I've not heard of Remote Viewing, thanks!

You've given me a lot to check out. Thanks for that, it's a big help.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DocOcSpidey said:

Idk man. I like punk stuff it’s always fun. 

But most of my go to bands and have been for years is...

The Promise Ring

Jets To Brazil 

Hum

The Jazz June

Mineral

Brandtson

Pedro The Lion 

Kind of Like Spitting

Lifetime

Christie Front Drive

maybe see if any of those tickle your fancy 

Ha, you sound about as old as me ;-) I like The Jazz June and Kind of Like Spitting but it's been a long time since I listened to them. I've heard of the rest but never gave any of them a proper listen so I'll get on that now. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This album changed my musical perceptions:

https://earthsl.bandcamp.com/album/angels-of-darkness-demons-of-light-i

Earth get lumped with the whole drone metal schtick when they really couldn't be anything further from that.... This album is engaging, relaxing and stimulating, hope you enjoy :)

I've found the lo-fi and ambient genres to oddly have a reverse effect - I'll pop it on when I'm in a slump or bad spot, and the innate ambiance mixed with lush variety in sound textures just mellows me out and picks up my mood and washes over me. There are so many independent artists, and even the more well-known artists are so prolific there will certainly be no shortage of material to explore. Some of my favorites are below:

Shlohmo

Blithe Field

Groundislava

XXYYXX

Ricky Eat Acid

Son Lux (a little more indie, with vocals)

Chillhop - Label with a ton of fantastic compilations they release (on vinyl at that) every quarter

Maybe something in here will be a good intro to the genre

• 2 weeks later...