Worried about Sound Quality on 2 Records I ordered

I have a question... maybe I am no vinyl expert (I am definitely more knowledgeable than average person). On a 12 inch record, my understanding was the general maximum for a side was 22.5 minutes. Making it about 45 minutes in length. Now, I am aware that you can extend the length a little bit but it generally deteriorates the sound.

Now, I just ordered 2 albums I really wanted on discogs (really rare ones). Now I didn't  think about this until I received them. I ordered the following 2 records and their lengths.

3 feet High and Rising- 67:24- https://www.discogs.com/De-La-Soul-3-Feet-High-And-Rising/release/79899

De La Soul is Dead- 73:30. https://www.discogs.com/De-La-Soul-De-La-Soul-Is-Dead/release/408450

Look at those lengths... average side would be what 35-37 minutes? Both of these albums are SINGLE LPs. I have albums that are 20 minutes less and been put on doubles for crying out loud! Now both records have a lot of reviews on discogs and are rated well, so that eases my mind a bit. However, I am still worried about overall sound quality, isn't it going to be a significant difference, or is there some type of special vinyl it could have been put on to avoid a double LP?

I just got them in mail this morning and haven't had opportunity to listen to them, should I be worried about it. Just confused on the whole matter. I linked the discogs links to the pressings in case someone wanted to check out the pressing I had. Ease my mind and confusion!

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, gigispeed1332 said:

I have a question... maybe I am no vinyl expert (I am definitely more knowledgeable than average person). On a 12 inch record, my understanding was the general maximum for a side was 22.5 minutes. Making it about 45 minutes in length. Now, I am aware that you can extend the length a little bit but it generally deteriorates the sound.

Now, I just ordered 2 albums I really wanted on discogs (really rare ones). Now I didn't  think about this until I received them. I ordered the following 2 records and their lengths.

3 feet High and Rising- 67:24- https://www.discogs.com/De-La-Soul-3-Feet-High-And-Rising/release/79899

De La Soul is Dead- 73:30. https://www.discogs.com/De-La-Soul-De-La-Soul-Is-Dead/release/408450

Look at those lengths... average side would be what 35-37 minutes? Both of these albums are SINGLE LPs. I have albums that are 20 minutes less and been put on doubles for crying out loud! Now both records have a lot of reviews on discogs and are rated well, so that eases my mind a bit. However, I am still worried about overall sound quality, isn't it going to be a significant difference, or is there some type of special vinyl it could have been put on to avoid a double LP?

I just got them in mail this morning and haven't had opportunity to listen to them, should I be worried about it. Just confused on the whole matter. I linked the discogs links to the pressings in case someone wanted to check out the pressing I had. Ease my mind and confusion!

Thanks!

Wait until you listen to them and then you'll know what the sound quality is. 

Edit: Also read the notes on discogs. The comments say at least one of these are very quiet/not great presses.

Edited by Ishtar

Discogs reviews can be helpful, as legitimately bad pressings will likely receive negative comments, however, people will also complain about certain releases that actually sound OK/fine. You can usually tell when a user is being objective about a pressing's faults and when they're letting out some steam using colorful exaggeration. As noted above, you don't really know whether a pressing sounds good to you unless you hear it yourself.

Edit: Also read the notes on discogs. The comments say at least one of these are very quiet/not great presses.

I have wondered, why is quiet even a problem? Can't you just pump up the volume if you have great speakers/receiver?

I did see that review and didn't worry about for that reason and the overall rating is amazing for the pressing.

Edited by gigispeed1332

Well, I hate to toot toot my own horn much  but I am THE self described Indiana Jones of rare vinyl treasures so let me tell you I know a few things! My professional, expert advise is too throw those mutha fuckers on a player and let your ears skate to that beautiful De La and decide on the quality yourself.

You're welcome!

8 hours ago, gigispeed1332 said:

Thanks!

Both of those clock in at right around 60 minutes based upon track listings. This does push the limits of reasonable. The comments on 3FH are overall not positive.

20 hours ago, gigispeed1332 said:

If only there was some way you could know for certain how they sound. 

Really rare ones

21 hours ago, gigispeed1332 said:

Thanks!

Who cares how good they sound when they're just props on social media anyway.  

On 10/2/2018 at 7:44 PM, gigispeed1332 said:

I have wondered, why is quiet even a problem? Can't you just pump up the volume if you have great speakers/receiver?

I did see that review and didn't worry about for that reason and the overall rating is amazing for the pressing.

Low volume can be a problem because of the noise floor that vinyl naturally brings with it , i.e. if the music volume is too low, you will hear more vinyl surface noise than music.

Regarding your orders:

I once had the German pressing of 3 Feet High And Rising. Despite of the album's length, the sound was totally fine. That copy was quite worn from playing though. Obviously the cutting engineers back in the day knew how to cut difficult stuff properly. Unfortunately a lot of that knowledge got lost.