Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume

Connect old school turntable to MacBook Air

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to connect my turntable (Technics SL-5) to my MacBook Air,

I plug the RCA cable (red & white) from my turntable to the INPUT PHONO of my amp,

then get a RCA to 1/8" cable, so plug that RCA to the TAPE-1 REC (white & red) of my amp and plug the other side (1/8") to the headphone of my MacBook Air,

i see couple of guys on internet using that method to be able to connect there old school turntable to their PC but seems like my MacBook doesn't recognize it....

If someone has any ideas, would be much appreciated :D

Thanks guys,

Guillaume

13 hours ago, Guillaume said:

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to connect my turntable (Technics SL-5) to my MacBook Air,

I plug the RCA cable (red & white) from my turntable to the INPUT PHONO of my amp,

then get a RCA to 1/8" cable, so plug that RCA to the TAPE-1 REC (white & red) of my amp and plug the other side (1/8") to the headphone of my MacBook Air,

i see couple of guys on internet using that method to be able to connect there old school turntable to their PC but seems like my MacBook doesn't recognize it....

If someone has any ideas, would be much appreciated :D

Thanks guys,

Guillaume

Depending on which model Macbook you have, your headphone port may be a combination port, meaning it is configurable to work as either an input or an output, or it is a simple output.

If it's output only then you're obviously not going to be able to use it as an input.  If it's a combination port, you may need to do some configuration to make it work as in input.

Thanks Tardcore for your help,

I own a MacBook Air mid 2013 (Sierra), and it' s a shared input/output, when i go to the sound setting i do have the input and output tab,

but nothing is detected when i plug my 1/8" , it just say 'headphone' detected (i bought a microphone with the 3 ring adaptor but nothing too...) on the output, but nothing detected on the input...

anyway i'm thinking that i might get a RCA to USB device like the BEHRINGER U-PHONO UFO202,

Some feedback says that the sound quality improve much more than a simple 1/8",

If you guys know about this, please let me know your experience with a device like this type,

Thanks !

Guillaume

Edited by Guillaume

Are you sure you have the TAPE 1 engaged?  TAPE outputs don't always passively send out a signal,  on some receivers, you may need to select the Tape 1 to start sending a signal.

Otherwise, I would say that you should maybe hit up a mac forum to make sure you're managing your combination port correctly.