SEATTLE VCers...Please Help!

jhulud

it's getting close to when Minus the Bear play their final shows ever in Seattle. I have tix for the second & third nights and potentially the first night.

I need suggestions on where to stay in the area of The Showbox where the shows will be at. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated for someone who's never been to Seattle: things to do, places to eat & drink (beers), and whatnot.

3 hours ago, jhulud said:

it's getting close to when Minus the Bear play their final shows ever in Seattle. I have tix for the second & third nights and potentially the first night.

I need suggestions on where to stay in the area of The Showbox where the shows will be at. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated for someone who's never been to Seattle: things to do, places to eat & drink (beers), and whatnot.

I don't have a ton of time to type up stuff right now, but I'll get you a list sometime this weekend.

Re : where to stay - The Showbox is downtown and I'm guessing that most hotels in that area will be pretty spendy and downtown is kind of lame imo.  I'd look for an AirBnB someone in Capitol Hill / Belltown / Lower Queen Anne if you want to stay within walking distance (or short Uber/Lyft).

Also, the train from the airport is cheap and convenient.  If you're not in a time crunch, I'd recommend it.  Anyway, I'll get back to you with a longer list one I have some spare time.

I don't live in Seattle anymore, but  pre-welcome to Seattle!

For food -

• I recommend Uneeda Burger or 8oz. burger for, well, burgers (Uneeda has got a pretty decent rotation of beers, can't remember what they served though...).
  • Paseo's has got some really great Caribbean sandwiches.
  • Afterwards you can hit up Molly Moons for a decent scoop of ice cream. 

For things to do -

• Pike Place Market is a must. It's right across the venue and there's a lot to see. Mostly just food, but if you wander inside there are a couple shops that sell random knick knacks.
    • Definitely check out the gumwall. It's kind of disgusting, but cool to see. (The smells you'll discover)
    • There are a few places you can check out for food too. My personal favs are Pike Place Chowder, the gyro stand, and the Crumpet Shop (if you're into overpriced British breakfast goods)  
    • Also, I'd highly recommend checking out Chukar inside the Pike Place Market. They have AMAZING chocolate covered cherries and phenomenal chocolate covered pecans. Good for souvenirs.
  • The Seattle Art Museum is nearby the Pike Place Market too
  • Westlake Center is worth a visit if you're looking for some good old commercial shopping
  • The EMP is pretty cool (Excuse me, the Museum of Pop Culture). As its name implies, they showcase a lot of modern pop culture related things like props from shows, history of bands from Washington state like Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana, that kind of thing.

I'll break this down into areas and limit it to stuff close-ish to the venue.

Downtown / Belltown (close to Showbox)

Old Stove - They have two locations that're both part of the Pike's Place Market.  One is literally a block from the Showbox.  The other one is kind of hidden in the market, but it has a great view of the water.  Good beer, but I wouldn't say it's overly special.  Recently opened up their kitchen, no sure if food is good or not though.

Cloudburst - A few blocks from Old Stove.  Almost everything I've had from them is great.  Their brewery is pretty small and tends to get busy though.

El Borracho - Mexican place right by Old Stove (and Showbox).  Gets busy, but it's a good place to post up if you want to eat and have a few drinks before the show. 

Shorty's / Jupiter Lounge - Pinball /barcades.  Both have decent beer selections, but nothing you wouldn't see elsewhere.  Both are more pinball focussed, but there are some arcades.

Cafe Yumm - Really good place that sells grain bowls, wraps and sandwiches.

Umi - Higher end sushi place in case you're feeling fancy.  (I can recommend a few more reasonable places if you want too)/

Seattle Art Museum / Seattle Aquarium - Both kind of explain themselves.  Pretty easy to waste a few hours at each place.

Singles Going Steady - Record shop across the street from Shorty's.  Mostly punk focused with some metal too.

Capitol Hill (would be an ok walk or a cheap car or bus ride to/from downtown).

Pine Box - Craft beer bar with 33 taps.

Optimism Brewing - Good sized brewery that is usually busy.  Worth checking out if your by it, not necessarily worth making a destination.

Outer Planet Brewing - Real small microbrewery.  They make good stuff and don't seem to be as IPA heavy as most of the breweries here.

Sizzle Pie - By the slice metal pizza joint open until 3/4 AM.  Supposedly one of the dudes from Relapse owns the chain (there's 4 or 5 total).

Lost Lake Cafe - 24 diner.

Everyday Music - Across the street from Lost Lake.  My favorite record store in town right now.

Spin Cycle - Another record shop.  Used selection is good, but their prices seem to be a little high sometimes.

Annapurna Cafe - Excellent Indian place.  Not open for lunch though.

Chuck's Hop Shop - This is in the Central District, but would be an easy bus ride from Sizzle Pie or Optimism.  50 taps + a dozen or so coolers full of beer to choose from.  Worth going out of your way for

Ballard (if you're feeling ambitious)

It's a pretty easy bus ride from Downtown, but it'll take you about 30 minutes.  There are at least 8-10 breweries up here.  I'd recommend Stoup, Populuxe and Reubens.  But you could walk around and hit most of them in a good afternoon.

Holy Mountain Brewing - On the way to Ballard from downtown (and on the bus line).  Metal brewery named after the Sleep album.  IMO, they're the best brewery in the city right now and doing the most unique things.

Lot of good restaurants and what not in Ballard too.  I'd recommend making an afternoon if it.

Other beer to look for

Georgetown Brewing - You'll see their beer everywhere.  Manny's is a stable (I don't care for it, but people fucking love it).  Their Bodizhafa is excellent and becoming pretty prominent around town.

Fremont Brewing - Similar thing.  Seattle staple that you'll find pretty easily.

Flat Stick Pub - Bar with mini-golf and probably 40 beers on tap. There's one in Pioneer Square, which is a real quick train ride from downtown.

Feel free to reply or or PM me if you're looking for something specific too.  I think I'll be around that weekend if you want to grab a beer also.

Edited by jonrawks

• 2 weeks later...