US to Exit 144 Year Old Postal Treaty

Don’t want to get political with things, but figured you’d all want to know about this. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45894346

Bassically the US will be exiting a very old Postal Treaty that kept prices low for China. However, this is very likely going to affect other countries, so we’ll how this pans out for collectors.

29 minutes ago, dynamitekid said:

Can someone explain how this is a bad thing? Seems like it could potentially generate more revenue for USPS.

I agree. USPS has been a loss of revenue for quite a while because they have laws that dictate prices. So it could help there, but it’s just a redistribution of money.

I would expect that people inevitably order less things online if shipping increases.

5 hours ago, dynamitekid said:

Can someone explain how this is a bad thing? Seems like it could potentially generate more revenue for USPS.

Bad for people that ship/receive a lot of records internationally because it could raise the cost of international shipping

I guess this is how china is able so sell so much junk on ebay for 99 cents with free shipping.

Online purchases won't decrease out of pure convenience. It's why major department stores like Sears are facing hard times. If anything the domestic online market will adjust itself to stay competitive with prices, worse case scenario people will shop like they have for decades prior to the internet but I wouldn't bet on that ever happening. Innovation doesn't digress because an avenue's process changes, the market creates a new avenue (think companies like Amazon starting their own private shipping industry, which they'll probably do anyways).