New (to me) Marantz receiver is a major upgrade...

I recently upgraded from a newer Sony receiver (STR-DH130) to an early 1970s Marantz 2220b at the recommendation of my dad ( he had a 2270 in the 70s) and I couldn't be happier. I had hoped for a better sound with my Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC and Bose cube speakers and AM-500 sub but I was honestly blown away. The Sony just seems CHEAP in comparison; I can't believe the difference. Even the radio sounds amazing. This is no small feat as I live in the Rockies and good radio is unusual. I can hear details that didn't exist before and the sub has really come into its own. It always lacked with the Sony but now is more than ample. On more bass-heavy tracks/albums I often have to turn it down. I will say that the highs can be a bit harsh at times and a re-cap may be in order. Though, I'm no expert and would be open to ideas. It also needs at least one new bulb. Can't wait to get it back to its original glory.  I was looking to upgrade my speakers soon so if anyone has any suggestions on something that would pair well it would be much appreciated. I feel super good about my craigslist purchase - it also just looks great with those cool blue lights. 

20181018_222114_zpsv5lk10vd.jpg20181018_222056_zps35q0d9hy.jpg

Edited by Tulsa1989

Thanks... I guess? I do understand the small effect an amp will have though I honestly feel like the Marantz sounds so much better than my $189 Sony with no phono input purchased at best buy two years ago (used a Pro-Ject phono pre-amp). I feel most in the know would also say so upon listening.  Though, my ears might not be as astute as yours....   :)

Edited by Tulsa1989

In my personal experience, when you go from playing a turntable through just about any standard 80s/90s/00s black plastic style receiver with digital displays and possibly digital signal path to an all analog 70's powerhouse receiver/amplifier like a Marantz, you ARE going to hear a difference. Whether that component is particularly less potent of a change in comparison to other components or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 4:08 AM, trott3r said:

Amplifiers normally have the least affect on the sound of all the components.

Glad you are happy but i expect the receiver is coloring the sound rather than being more transparent.

^this entire post.. just no. 

A marantz 22 series receiver is “coloring” the sound from an analog source MORE than a p.o.s. cheap modern Sony? 

What?

On 10/22/2018 at 11:45 PM, Tulsa1989 said:

Thanks... I guess? I do understand the small effect an amp will have though I honestly feel like the Marantz sounds so much better than my $189 Sony with no phono input purchased at best buy two years ago (used a Pro-Ject phono pre-amp). I feel most in the know would also say so upon listening.  Though, my ears might not be as astute as yours....   :)

If it sounds better to you that is all that matters. I love my Marantz. Congrats.

There is probably alot of reasons why the marantz sounds alot better, some of which may be a nice colouration but I doubt it. It is more than likely the fact that it was built for decent stereo music in the first place. Second of all it likely has higher quality components throughout that were used with good sound reproduction in mind. Thirdly it likely has a much better quality phono stage with lower noise and better riaa equalisation than the sony.  Lastly likely comes with a significantly improved power supply to the sony that deals with transients better and with less distortion. As far as the colouration goes, 70s gear did often have a warmth about it that modern low end solid state does not. This may reduce the detail but provides a much more pleasing presentation and one that is far easier and musical on the ear. Getting it serviced and recapped will only improve the detail. Congratulations on a significant upgrade. Now upgrade the turntable and speakers and you will not know yourself.

Edited by mikeburns

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

This is beautiful and your experience has spurred me to get on the quest to replacing my 90's plastic receiver with digital signal paths. Are there any specific speakers people could recommend to compliment a Marantz receiver in the range of $500 or less?

Get some matching Marantz speakers from the same era. Its fun.

And then buy all modern gear.

• 1 month later...

I have my mother's 1976 Marantz, and it's the best receiver I've ever owned / used. My  Sony with phono input is currently sitting idle in my basement.

Marantz's last a long time on their own, but you can always polish it up a bit with a rebuild kit: https://irebuildmarantz.com/catalog/

I replaced all of the bulbs in my unit with their LED pack and while it's not a green as the OEM bulb, it's a great upgrade to brighter bulbs! Plus, that site has a lot more replacements and enhancements. Download a spec of your particular unit, too, it makes things a hell of a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...