Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?

3 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

I've been waiting for their new album for 3+ years. Probably top 5 favorite bands of all time for me. VERY MUCH looking forward to this one. Been listening to Fading Frontier this AM. Too much fucking POWER in their music.

I agree completely that Deerhunter are one of the best bands of all time. I feel like them and Big Star are probably the best bands to ever come out of the south. I’m always surprised that this band isn’t more popular. I’m really looking forward to this. 

Anyone catch how limited this variant is?

3 hours ago, GrapplesInStereo said:

I agree completely that Deerhunter are one of the best bands of all time. I feel like them and Big Star are probably the best bands to ever come out of the south. I’m always surprised that this band isn’t more popular. I’m really looking forward to this. 

did you also check out atlas sound (Bradford), lotus plaza (lockett) and moon diagrams (moses)? I like them all especially lockett's second album as LP, called spooky action from a distance. aptly titled for Halloween.

1 hour ago, jrodan said:

lotus plaza is the best deerhunter associated project. spooky action is an all time great album. after getting into them i realized that basically all my favorite deerhunter songs were the ones lockett wrote.

I think Lockett is very under appreciated.   Sort of like Lee Renaldo in Sonic Youth.   Lockett’s second solo album is better than some Deerhunter albums IMO

2 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I think Lockett is very under appreciated.   Sort of like Lee Renaldo in Sonic Youth.   Lockett’s second solo album is better than some Deerhunter albums IMO

Absolutely. Fading Frontier was a horrible listen. I blame the mastering job/vinyl pressing more than the music itself I guess, but it was bad enough that I flipped that record within weeks of owning it. 

The new single sounds good, nothing too amazing nor surprising. I guess I can hope that like some later Blonde Redhead albums like 23 it's a slow-burning pleaser.

Edited by armadillo01

1 minute ago, armadillo01 said:

Absolutely. Fading Frontier was a horrible listen. I blame the mastering job/vinyl pressing more than the music itself I guess, but it was bad enough that I flipped that record within weeks of owning it. 

The songs were way to pop foucsed for me. Deerhunter always had that element to them but also had these avant garde and interesting moments in the songs. That album had none of it

Upon a few listens to this single, the first 2 mins of the songs are pretty starightforward but than around the 2:30 mark it gives me hope that these songs bring back some of those elements

On 10/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, youspinmeround said:

The songs were way to pop foucsed for me. Deerhunter always had that element to them but also had these avant garde and interesting moments in the songs. That album had none of it

Upon a few listens to this single, the first 2 mins of the songs are pretty starightforward but than around the 2:30 mark it gives me hope that these songs bring back some of those elements

Those elements were definitely present in Snakeskin around the 3 minute mark (which is the most obvious moment of sonic bliss/noise) and around 4:45 on Leather and Wood. Furthermore, yes Spooky Action At A Distance is probably top 10 of all time. It's crazy how under appreciated that album is. Lockett slaps, no doubt.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, GrapplesInStereo said:

Deerhunter and Big Star are the best band to come out of the South? That's some lofty praise considering Butthole Surfers, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Allman Brothers Band, Superchunk, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Polvo, My Morning Jacket, B52's , REM, Vic Chesnutt and Drive By Truckers all hail from the South. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 5:35 PM, streetwaves said:

Deerhunter and Big Star are the best band to come out of the South? That's some lofty praise considering Butthole Surfers, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Allman Brothers Band, Superchunk, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Polvo, My Morning Jacket, B52's , REM, Vic Chesnutt and Drive By Truckers all hail from the South. 

You forgot Hootie and the Blowfish and North Mississippi All Stars. 

Edited by GrapplesInStereo

on the back of several listens i would say this is quite easily my least favorite dh album. i enjoyed fading frontiers but over time i found myself revisiting it less than i do with the older classics. this one just hasn’t done it for me.

i did preorder the album on the basis of the first single (which i think is the strongest track of the album) and the confidence i have with past albums. i’m not sure i would have had i listened to the whole album. 

Edited by noeling

5 hours ago, noeling said:

on the back of several listens i would say this is quite easily my least favorite dh album. i enjoyed fading frontiers but over time i found myself revisiting it less than i do with the older classics. this one just hasn’t done it for me.

Damn, don't say that. I literally just ordered this today. Deerhunter is one of my favorite bands, but waited on ordering this since I wasn't too fond of Fading Frontiers.