Sub Pop Singles Club Vol. 4

Just in time for the holiday season, it's the 4th installment of the Sub Pop Singles Club series. 

Sc square 1

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/sub_pop/sub_pop_singles_club_vol_4

To anyone who did the previous installment in 2008-2009, do they usually announce the artists beforehand? I'd be down for this if they gave a bit of a sneak preview for what I'm expecting.

Sounds cool but, lately, it seems these 7" single subscription clubs have failed to satisfy either the 'music listener' or 'valuable rarities collector' side of my record collector psyche. I usually end up with 12 singles of which I only really dig 3-4 and could have bought individually on Discogs for less than $40.

That said, what do I know. This could be much doper than what I expect.

That was me with the last one. I think I sold all but 2 or 3 of them all to Reckless a few years back because I only played them once or twice. I guess if there was one I wanted from this volume, I could pay upwards of $130 for it and still get the same benefit as having bought a sub.

Edited by timsimmons

Here are some bands from 3.0

Arthur & Yu

Circle

Blues Control

Black Mountain

Dutchess and the Duke

Unnatural Helpers

Tyvek

These seven singles can be purchased for around $35. Not sure if it's worth getting the subscription unless you're a Sub Pop completist.  Also, I love Deerhunter, Tyvek and Black Lips but their Sub Pop singles were not that great. Best one of 3.0 was Om and that wasn't stellar.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, timsimmons said:

I know when Sub Pop does record fairs, they sell box sets of Vol. 3. I may just wait and pick this up in a few years. Especially since it doesn't seem limited like the previous vols were.

If anyone has any tips on how to get one of these, hit me up! I’d love to get this whole set. 

• 1 year later...

It looks like Sub Pop has announced a volume 5, before volume 4 is even finished. Artists will include Father John Misty, Ohmme, Clarke and the Himselfs, L.O.T.I.O.N. Multinational Corporation, TEKE::TEKE, Sumac, and Luz Elena Mendoza (of Y La Bamba).

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/sub_pop/sub_pop_singles_club_vol_5

• 3 months later...