PO : Mineral - One Day When We Are Young

gazzo

45 minutes ago, tape said:

lmaooooooooooooooooo

I loved AF1 and I love AF2. I know a lot of people who feel similarly.  so much for your dumb theory

I scarcely see anyone outside the VC bubble who has anything positive to say about it. RYM destroyed it, DIY pretends it doesn't exist, and in any music discussion circle where I hang out besides this forum borderline treats it like a meme.

Like it if you like it, but it's pretty undeniable that enjoying it is kind of a hot take.

20 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I scarcely see anyone outside the VC bubble who has anything positive to say about it. RYM destroyed it, DIY pretends it doesn't exist, and in any music discussion circle where I hang out besides this forum borderline treats it like a meme.

Like it if you like it, but it's pretty undeniable that enjoying it is kind of a hot take.

maybe try logging off and talking to people? idk

Just now, DecayToDeath said:

What a thoughtful and well-structured argument. You've really changed my mind about this whole thing. 

yeah, your argument using DIY and RYM as reasons that enjoying AFII is a hot take really sold everyone, brother. enjoy your music discussion circles!

16 minutes ago, tape said:

maybe try logging off and talking to people? idk

Didn't I already say that's what I was doing lmao

14 minutes ago, jrodan said:

yeah, your argument using DIY and RYM as reasons that enjoying AFII is a hot take really sold everyone, brother. enjoy your music discussion circles!

Care to cite a place or group besides VC that actually likes it? I don't think it's unreasonable to think it's a hot take if the target audience (aka DIY emo kids) thinks it's an embarrassment.

57 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

Nah, I like it too, and I was actually alive when AF1 came out ;)

It's essentially an Owen album, and it has a few cringey moments, but it certainly isn't a bad record. Maybe you're hanging out with shitty people who have never watched a band grow beyond their original sound, or who feel like because they didn't follow the band from it's inception that they somehow have to make up for that by acting too cool for the reunion album.

Edited by Ishtar

18 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

Care to cite a place or group besides VC that actually likes it? I don't think it's unreasonable to think it's a hot take if the target audience (aka DIY emo kids) thinks it's an embarrassment.

AF weren't saying to themselves "we gotta tailor this especially for the DIY emo kids, they're our target market" when they were writing AF2. They were just making a bunch of fucking songs.

It's also hilarious that apparently the only validation that someone out there actually likes that album you would accept would be if there were a website somewhere where people talked about liking it. The natural state of people online since the onset of forums and whatnot is bitching about things they don't like. The sold out crowd when I saw them last fall didn't seem to think that it "spit in their faces", since they all showed up. People I know offline like it, but of course they didn't post about it on Cool Scene Kids Dot Com or whatever so there's no "proof" of that.

5 minutes ago, tape said:

AF weren't saying to themselves "we gotta tailor this especially for the DIY emo kids, they're our target market" when they were writing AF2. They were just making a bunch of fucking songs.

It's also hilarious that apparently the only validation that someone out there actually likes that album you would accept would be if there were a website somewhere where people talked about liking it. The natural state of people online since the onset of forums and whatnot is bitching about things they don't like. The sold out crowd when I saw them last fall didn't seem to think that it "spit in their faces", since they all showed up. People I know offline like it, but of course they didn't post about it on Cool Scene Kids Dot Com or whatever so there's no "proof" of that.

Like I’ve been saying this isn’t just websites or whatever that I’m talking about, I’m referring to actual people I talk to frequently in my local music scene. It would be one thing if I just saw some people who hated it and called it a day, but the hate for this album has gotten to the point where it’s a frequent punchline. 

I didn’t even say that it was wrong to like the album, all I said was that you’re in the minority if you do, which I don’t think is an unreasonable assessment.

28 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Nah, I like it too, and I was actually alive when AF1 came out ;)

It's essentially an Owen album, and it has a few cringey moments, but it certainly isn't a bad record. Maybe you're hanging out with shitty people who have never watched a band grow beyond their original sound, or who feel like because they didn't follow the band from it's inception that they somehow have to make up for that by acting too cool for the reunion album.

I can't speak for how everyone feels but for me I'm just not into Owen. I like a few songs here and there but I can never really enjoy an entire project. AF2 felt like that to me. I saw it as a sorta neutered AF1.

as a 32 year old married man with kids, AF2 was easily far and above my AOTY in 2016, esp lyrically. Being born in 1999 and hating Owen I can totally see how AF2 would seem like a meme. As a Mike Kinsella fan, it was my favorite work of his since Ghost Town

Edited by Tommy

11 minutes ago, swb said:

In the mid 2000s, I saw MK as Owen open up for Rocky Votolato and he walked off mid-song because some bros in the audience kept "WOO!"ing mockingly during his set. Maybe those bros were Decay's friends? :)

considering Decay is about 14 years old, that seems unlikely unless the Woo'ing was coming from inside their father's balls.

29 minutes ago, jrodan said:

considering Decay is about 14 years old, that seems unlikely unless the Woo'ing was coming from inside their father's balls.

Haha, he's like 18 or 19 now believe it or not! Still probably not alive when AF1 came out though

Edited by Ishtar

in for hot takes:

As a nearly 40-year old dude who was a fucking adult when AF1 came out, it took me a reaaaally long time to come around to AF2. I fucking love it now. It's not exactly what I want out of American Football, but it is a phenomenal album. I'm so-so on Owen, but that AF2 is killer.

Also, I kind of like the new Mineral jam. The music feels very Mineral to me, and the vocals aren't far enough removed from what I would expect a couple of decades later. The vocals are certainly different, and kind of lackluster, but I like that they aren't trying to replicate their youth-selves. I'm in for it. Bought with quickness.

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

in for hot takes:

As a nearly 40-year old dude who was a fucking adult when AF1 came out, it took me a reaaaally long time to come around to AF2. I fucking love it now. It's not exactly what I want out of American Football, but it is a phenomenal album. I'm so-so on Owen, but that AF2 is killer.

Also, I kind of like the new Mineral jam. The music feels very Mineral to me, and the vocals aren't far enough removed from what I would expect a couple of decades later. The vocals are certainly different, and kind of lackluster, but I like that they aren't trying to replicate their youth-selves. I'm in for it. Bought with quickness.

Ah, yeah the vocals on this throw me more than the AF album did and I can't quite get behind this new Mineral stuff, but I'm glad you like it!

22 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

Didn't I already say that's what I was doing lmao

Washed up emo

3 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

i mean, to be fair, AF is being given kudos here in the "old school" category – not like there was much competition for that (although maybe there will be in 2018 with the reunion bubble we're seeing).  

i think the problem is Decay thinking a band of 40 year olds is making music for the "DIY emo kids" demographic of Needle Drop fans and latter-day lastfmers or w/e. the "kids" Decay is talking about are not the core AF fanbase who supported and celebrated the album when it was released; they're the ones that discovered the album in the 2010s or w/e precisely because of the core fanbase's response to and championing of that record for years and years. AF's OG demographic may have grown up on that raw DIY stuff or whatever, but they're Pitchfork readers (7.7 for LP2 speaking of positive reception) and mid-career professionals now.

which isn't to say that these "kids" can't pick and choose which AF albums to like, either. just to say that they're uh actually not the intended audience for either of those albums. and this holds true whether AF's records both really resonate with younger fans or not. just because "DIY emo kids" have artificial nostalgia for a moment in music that happened when they were in diapers doesn't mean the OG emo fanbase, who are, again, themselves very much past that time of teenage feelings, might very well appreciate a band that moves on as radically as AF did from LP1 to LP2.  and i say this as someone who shares a birthday with "Diary" haha.

Edited by copelandkid

• 1 month later...