VC Secret Santa 2018

On 11/14/2018 at 5:03 PM, MyckelJay said:

I miss this damn signup even year.

9 hours ago, kramer73 said:

ha, I kept looking for it, and missed it somehow as well.

i missed deadline to post about myself cause i was traveling. if @backpackoat is OK with it, maybe we can do a 3 way thing between just us and still participate? 

15 hours ago, tokimedo said:

i missed deadline to post about myself cause i was traveling. if @backpackoat is OK with it, maybe we can do a 3 way thing between just us and still participate? 

I'm not opposed to this idea--the more the merrier--but we are so close to a shipping date I am apprehensive about things running  smoothly. If you three want to participate and can come to a consensus about when to ship your gifts, I'll oversee it. I don't want to be chasing anyone down though, and certainly don't want anyone getting shafted. 

@tokimedo @MyckelJay @kramer73 your thoughts?

3 hours ago, kramer73 said:

I'd be happy to do it.  I think we could decide when to ship.  If you'd rather have us keep track/oversee it, we could probably do that as well 

2 hours ago, backpackoat said:

That's fine by me. Even though it's just you three if you'd like me to send the matches so there's some modicum of mystery, I'll do that for you and you can take it from there. 

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to count me out. Just got a third room mate forced on me and it's either find a new one or move somewhere else. It'll probably be easier with just the two of y'all anyway. Thank you though. Definitely next year for me.

Alright party people, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and a wonderful welcome to December. We are in the final days before all our gifts need to be shipped, so please be cognizant of that. As a reminder, I need you to message me a tracking number as soon as you have your presents shipped. I've pushed back the date again so please have things sent by this Friday. If not, you NEED to be in contact with me so I know you aren't some scam artist making millions off of various online secret santas. Let's get everyone their gifts by Christmas!

Foolish, foolish me. I forgot to let you all know to use my address as the return address so your info isn't revealed to your giftee. Thank you Sasan for reminding me.

Secret Santa 

5702 E. 31st St.

Tucson, AZ 85711

Also as a reminder, please don't post in this thread when you've shipped your goodies out--there are so few people it will be fairly easy to figure things out if you do. 

Edited by backpackoat

I got mine today. I was going to wait until Christmas but the package was absolutely destroyed so I figured I better open it. It was fine and I am guessing from swb. I love it. I basically have a record store in my house and didn't have those records and hadn't even heard of that split.  I also have quite a few punk and hardcore picture books and didn't have that one. DJ quik? I'll spin it this weekend and report back but Im sure I will love it.

28 minutes ago, Dunc said:

I got mine today. I was going to wait until Christmas but the package was absolutely destroyed so I figured I better open it. It was fine and I am guessing from swb. I love it. I basically have a record store in my house and didn't have those records and hadn't even heard of that split.  I also have quite a few punk and hardcore picture books and didn't have that one. DJ quik? I'll spin it this weekend and report back but Im sure I will love it.

Remind me to reply to this once everyone’s identities have been revealed. :P

Everyone should be receiving their gifts shortly, if not already. Everything is in the mail as of a couple days ago! HUGE THANKS to everyone for getting everything out responsibly this year. You all have made things very easy for me. But your job is of course not done yet, please remember you must post pictures of your haul in your thank you posts. Can't wait to see them popping up in this thread soon. Merry Christmas everyone!

This is my first year participating in VC Secret Santa, so I think it's fitting that I am the first poster to share the awesome gifts they received.

tumblr_mzfv68rf0O1qcga5ro1_500.gif

My gifts arrived in two installments over the last month. In November, I received two packages from Amazon and, this week, I received a third package (that was somehow postmarked both from Arizona AND Germany and required a weird international receipt signature!).

My first gifts from November:

SqEhZlo.jpg

Slowdive's self titled LP from 2017! I have slept on Slowdive for 20+ years despite being familiar with the name, so this was a great choice. That upbeat, well-paced shoe-gaze sound is right up my alley.

CI71R34.jpg

Low's Double Negative LP from this year! This was one of my favorite records of 2018 but, the one time I went into Amoeba in LA to buy it, they were sold out and I never ended up grabbing a copy. Thanks to my Secret Santa for selecting this off my wishlist!

Now, flash forward to this week's gifts:

gy5SGl6.jpg

R.E.M.'s import picture disc single for Leaving New York (off Around the Sun), a Black Jesuses flexi, and CDs from Jeniferever and Thee More Shallows!

KUzbOm1.jpg

Nomads' Free My Animal LP from 2014!

rpaHcLP.jpg

Two mix CDs and a thoughtful, super nice handwritten letter! 

A huuuge yuletide thanks to my Secret Santa for crushing their gifts. I've participated in a few vinyl holiday exchanges and this was by far the best selection of stuff I've ever received. I'm excited to dig out my CD drive so I can spin those mixes and CDs and to play that Nomads LP! I have heard of almost none of these bands besides A Perfect Circle and Sigur Ros, which are on the mixes, so it will be a fun dive. I will definitely update this thread with my impressions of all the new music. My Santa did not identify themselves but I'm just gonna guess that it was swb. He seems to be a safe guess so far. :P Seriously. Awesome gifts! Thank you!

Who else got dat Santa gift?

3 hours ago, swb said:

This is my first year participating in VC Secret Santa, so I think it's fitting that I am the first poster to share the awesome gifts they received.

Thank you for being the first to post! Great photos as well. Merry Christmas!

Edited by backpackoat